There are lots of threads asking for camera recommendations here, but I don’t see any that fit my requirements and which are recent. So, here’s another thread.
- 4K main stream with great image quality (Don’t laugh too hard… 4K is not for security but to get very high quality video of our resident squirrels, including with digital zoom on snapshots.)
- 640x360-ish substream for object detection
- Outdoor use
- Preferably audio recording (even though that may not work with HA yet)
- Works well with HA without too much fiddling
- Ditto with Frigate, with 4K clips viewable with the Frigate HA integration UI and lower res substream viewable live
- Available in the UK
- Reasonably priced, although at this point I’m willing to pay more for a camera that I’m sure will work.
I bought a Reolink RLC-820A (dome version of the RLC-810A) based on the @TheHookUp’s recommendation. I’m currently planning to return it. 4K video looks great, but I can’t get the camera to play nicely with any third party systems at 4K. I’ve tried Blue Iris, Shinobi and iSpy/Agent. There are many complaints about 810A/820A RTSP compatibility on Reddit with no definitive solutions. Even a Discord chat and analysis of logs with the very friendly creator of Shinobi finally just resulted in “based on this i am guessing its something to do with how this video is encoded (coming from camera)”.