Outdoor POE 4K camera recommendations for HA with Frigate

I tried an Annke C800, but unfortunately the newest ones only support H.265, so the streams/recordings can’t be played in Home Assistant. Did you have to install Hikvision firmware before you had the option for H.264?

I’ve found two other models which are working well for me:

SV3C B08POE-8MP-A

Amcrest IP8M-2454EW

1 Like

Hum, good question, I don’t know.
For sure I now have H.264, H.264+, H.265 at least with Hikvision firmware on my C800s but I don’t remember how it was with the stock Annke firmware.

1 Like

I have moved onto the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU for my main cameras.
Available in White, Gun Metal Grey and Black.
1/1.8" Sensor so Night Vision is quite good.
Supports Audio with built in MIC
4K @20fps Main Stream
Susbstream 320x240 or 640x360 or 640x480
Third stream 320x240 or 640x360 or 640x480 or 1280x720

I use 4K for the recordings and use the 720p @10fps third stream for detections.

On Intel Hardware acceleration you don’t need any funky ffmpeg settings to try and get it to work, it just works.

1 Like

I have been struggling to get the Reolink 4k cameras working with Blue Iris but have finally done it by following this guide and, so far so good, they look pretty good.

https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1855&start=10&fbclid=IwAR0AkCYPdI1lEZiy-aXjKUnGa2YW5CPn9ktfwOK-1uIJBYoystNpHiFMfos#p8806

Still working on setting up frigate though!

Hi ShawWellPeter - any luck getting the Reolink 4K to work with frigate?

Thanks! Jon.

Unfortunately not, it’s on the to do list. If you get anywhere please share

Just seen this Local realtime person detection for RTSP cameras - #5001 by palito

1 Like

are there any outdoor cameras with spotlight that for HA with Frigate? i.e. rtsp support?

I’m using this one, haven’t had the time yet to install Frigate, but it works like a charm with MotionEye

Good picture/audio (2-way) and a fair price :innocent:

I don’t think mine has POE (not sure though), but they do have POE types :wink:

hey, did you ever get the chance to try this camera in Frigate? They seem really reasonably priced so would be interested to know how you find them… picture quality? night time quality?

Hi Mike,

Quality is actually very good:
Also night time is also formidable…
The snapshot above is not 4K, as I reduced the resolution; MotionEye (running on HyperV) had performance issues running at 4K :thinking:

The only thing that lacks is trying out Frigate…I wanted to, but I didn’t find the time to try it out (yet)…sorry

Anyone??? ?

IR spotlight?

Still no experience with Frigate, but that camera works fine with MotionEye

Nope not IR spotlight but something similar to eufy spotlight cam which i have but doesn’t work with motioneye or frigate etc

Why not use a normal camera and a normal spotlight ? Turn on the spotlight(s) if your camera (or other motion detectors) trigger.

I think these combined camera floodlight things are stupid. They look really ugly and the ideal position for a camera is rarely the ideal position for a floodlight (and vice versa). The ideal security outdoor lighting is made of multiple strategically placed floodlights that create a uniform intensity light field. Add to that a couple of cameras for both close ups and wide angle views, because context and situational awareness is just as important. Not a super bright spot beam shining right into the face of a person, completely overexposing it and underexposing the surrounding areas.

Why they call it 4K camera instead of 8MPX Camera?
So weird this marketing dudes, they think they are selling TVs or what? :rofl:

Those cameras are great, but not for Frigate. They only work under very certain conditions. Not the most optimal. Not to say that the 520 is a 5MPX cam not a 8MPX as the OP is looking for.

Everyone recommends the Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW. Very solid.

like OP I’m looking for a frigate specific 4k outdoor camera-

do you think the $ 280 price is justified for this Amcrest IP8M-2454EW?

there are 4k cameras that cost much less (ANNKE, hikvision) but I don’t know if they are worse in video quality. all the reviews on youtube are quite unreliable

Reolink rlc-820a got a firmware update and after that you can lower the resolution to 2560x1440 and it will be encoded in h264 instead of h265. Would be nice to use it in 4k instead when probably that is why most ppl bought this model

1 Like

Where did you get the firmware? Or can you DM it to me?