Paperless-ng Add-on

Home Assistant Paperless-ng Add-on

About

I have created an Add-on for Paperless-ng.

Paperless is an application that manages your personal documents. With the help of a document scanner (see Scanner recommendations), paperless transforms your wieldy physical document binders into a searchable archive and provides many utilities for finding and managing your documents.

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other Home Assistant add-on.

1. Add Add this URL to your Home Assistant addons repos (Supervisor -> Add-on store -> three dots upper right): https://github.com/TheBestMoshe/home-assistant-addons
  2. Install this add-on.
  3. Set the configuration.
  4. Click the Save button to store your configuration.
  5. Start the add-on.
  6. Check the logs of the add-on to see if everything went well.

Post here and I’ll get back to you, or you can file an issue in GitHub

8 Likes

Cool! Thanks, will try. This is definitely home assisting :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Ok, here’s the first 2 questions:

1. where to set the “consumption directory”. Like mentioned here:
    https://paperless-ng.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage_overview.html scraped all documents and interface, but where can I configure this in this addon?
  2. the web-interface is in my language, but I see the “OCR” is in eng. Where to find a list of other scanning languages?
filename:
  format: '{created_year}/{correspondent}/{title}'
ocr:
  language: eng
default_superuser:
  1. where to set the “consumption directory”. Like mentioned here:
    https://paperless-ng.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage_overview.html scraped all documents and interface, but where can I configure this in this addon?

All the files are stored in the share/paperless directory. This includes the consume directory as well as the data and media directories. Files added into consume will be ingested by Paperless. (Source)

1. the web-interface is in my language, but I see the “OCR” is in eng . Where to find a list of other scanning languages?

You can add more languages. Here are the add-on docs for this setting. It should also work with more languages that are not listed in the docs. The Paperless docs say:

It should be a 3-letter language code consistent with ISO 639: ISO 639-2 Language Code List - Codes for the representation of names of languages (Library of Congress)

If it works with languages that are not listed in the add-on docs, please let me know and I will update it.

thank you, how Can I then map a remote share via this addon when using it in home assistant as an addon? I do not want my documents to be save on homeassistant server but my nas…?

Paperless does not support using network shares. Nor does Home Assistant OS. Right now, unless you can map the share to the Home Assistant volume, it will not work.

I will look into the possibility of adding this feature via the add-on.

If you have an idea of how to do it, please let me know.

1 Like

the samba share addon does something like this… well it use a share to upload…?

After adding the repo in supervisor and hitting “install” I get this error (after five minutes):

Failed to install addon
‘f82d1e81_paperless’

Any Idea What could be the problem?
There is no info in the logfile of Home Assistant

This is another error in my second attempt to install paperless-ng via hacs

HACS is not used to install addons.

The first post describes the installation pretty well.

As @nickrout pointed out, you do not install this via HACS.

The only issue I ran into were:

• My impatience. Getting the Addon installed takes some time.
  • Use your local url (http://homeassistant.local:8123) to go to the supervisor and install. When using your outside domain, the messages when installing the plugin will not show.

Ok, so this is what I did:
Add Add this URL to my Home Assistant addons repos (Supervisor -> Add-on store -> three dots upper right): https://github.com/TheBestMoshe/home-assistant-addons

This is the result:

Then I click paperless-ng and I ge this screen:

After hitting “install” I get this message:
Schermafbeelding 2021-01-25 om 15.10.13

I would expect that this is the way to install paperless-ng.
or is there another way to perform this action:

2. Install this add-on.

This is exactly what i did.

I did do this twice though as te first time it seemed to fail because of the external access. Second time i was impatient, but the addon did show up as installed after some time.

Could be you’re out of diskspace?
Unfortunately i cant be of more assistance than this.
You sould open an issue on the github page of the addon.

Ok thanks Tom, I’ll do that.
I have > 100gb of diskspace so that can’t be the problem

1 Like

Great, I’ve got it working right now using the tips from Tom.

Now I would like to add the OCR language “nld”, is there an easy way to do this?
The documentation on this point refers to a docker-installation, so that’s not very helpfull in this scenario.

I need to edit the charset settings in mail.py (for compatibility with outlook.com): but where can I find the mail.py, or the paperless - files for that matter?

The issue I’m trying to solve, is explained here:

Is this project still maintained? Since there is already paperless version 1.5.0 :grimacing:

It is still on paperless-ng 1.1.4 by the look of it.

Hi,

NIce add-on… How can I add NLD OCR to it. And the store location can that be also a mounted smb location?

Agreed, shame as I got really excited when I saw this first.