Paradox Alarm MQTT Hassio addon

Are you sure?
I just spent 1 minute waving at my bedroom PIR with laptop in hand looking at the HA frontend where I have the entity shown… updates almost in real time.

Yeah, sure.
I have one PIR which is most often triggered (backyard).
And we spend whole day at yard, and it will show “last time 3 hours ago” if nobody enters home/room.
And when i look at log, i see houndreds of triggers, but no change, and it seems like this triggers “last pir change”.

Here is last one:

alarm%202

And here it is shown it was reseted 6 seconds ago.

Strange… It is working for me though.
Is this the only entity which is behaving like that? Can you test i.e. pir_dnevna?

Hi @cyberchin,

I don’t think this will be deprecated as it’s an add-on, not an Home Assistant component. It may make it harder, though, to turn the add-on into a component: something that has vaguely been on my roadmap but haven’t really worked on :slight_smile:

Thanks for your interest, and glad to hear it’s working fine for you!

Hi @uzelac, @scstraus, @ddppddpp, @Claude_Renaud,

In relation to triggering the alarm, I’ve finally plugged a relay into the MG5000 board. The relay is driven by an ESP32 (with a custom board I’ve designed, and which I’m going to open source soon), which I’ve flashed with esphome and hence operates and shows in HA as a momentary switch. Nothing to do with the add-on, I’m afraid. While I was at it, I actually plugged two relays, configured on the MG5000 one as a panic button (silent alarm) and the other as a full trigger (with siren). There’s a way, playing with resistors, to plug 2 relays to the same PGM input on the MG5000 board. If you’re interested, more info is on the MG5000 manual section 2.16, page 13.

By the way, when the PGM on the IP150 is used as an input, it can only be used to send an email when triggered; crucially it cannot control other aspects of the control panel, such as triggering an alarm. Hope this helps!

Hi @uzelac,

This is indeed strange. The add-on works by polling the IP150 module every second, and compares the most current state of each pir sensor, with the state retrieved in the previous poll. If the state has changed, it pushes the new state to the MQTT topic. Hence, as @ddppddpp experiences, it should update “almost in real-time”, technically with at most 1 second of delay.

Can you run an MQTT inspector, and see what is published by the add-on? That would help discriminating whether the issue is in the add-on, or in the way HA is configured to read and interpret the MQTT messages.

Hi All,

Rejoice! :tada: It’s with great pleasure that today, almost two years and 230 messages after the initial release of the Paradox Alarm MQTT Hassio add-on, I’m releasing version 1.0!

Of course, this comes with something major: a dedicated add-on repository that enables smooth installation and updates! Forget about local add-ons, pulling from git, and all the pain of starting from scratch at every new release. The add-on now installs and updates like every other add-on you’re used to.

Under the hood, the add-on is also now pre-built and stored on Docker Hub. This doesn’t change much from a user perspective, except that installation should run way faster.

Furthermore, an annoying issue where “Arm Home” on the HA interface would result in “Arm Sleep” on the Paradox alarm has been fixed. Now the HA “Arm Home” button really arms the Paradox alarm in Home (Stay) mode. This could be somewhat of a breaking change for some.

Please note, due to a missing feature, the default HA interface does not show an “Arm Sleep” button: you can arm in sleep mode from automations and scripts, but not from the default HA alarm panel. Make your voice heard in the related HA issues if you need this feature; else, be aware that the lovelace alarm card can be configured to show this button, which solves the issues.

This release also fixes a bug that would report the alarm armed in home mode when it was in sleep mode.

How to install? It’s easy :slight_smile: This is the last time you have to uninstall your old, local version of the add-on. In fact, it’s recommended that you delete the local folder altogether. Then follow the instructions to add the add-on repository, which will make the add-on pop up, and notify you when updates will be available.

The add-on configuration hasn’t changed, so you can copy-paste you existing add-on configuration and it will still work. Also the HA configuration.yaml doesn’t need any changes. You will notice, however, that the alarm will now arm in home, rather than sleep mode, when you hit the ARM HOME button. The recommendation is to enable the right buttons in the lovelace card. If this doesn’t work for you and it is still a breaking change, as a workaround, you can override the payload_arm_home value (for example, to “ARM_NIGHT”) in your configuration.yaml to restore the legacy, incorrect behaviour.

As with all software, the add-on is certainly not perfect yet. If you have any issues, ideas for improvements, or just want to share your experience, don’t hesitate to leave your post on this thread. The community has been great so far, and will certainly continue to be!

6 Likes

@alfredo,
I’ll give it a try over the weekend. Should it work with ssl certs already?
Thx!

Hey @ddppddpp,

I’ve just reviewed your PR and left a comment. Let me know once you have a moment and we can schedule this for V1.1 Thanks for your contribution!

Hi @rob196 ,

Is it possible to bypass a zone from the IP150 web interface and, if so, could you describe how the feature works?

In general terms, I don’t think the alarm HA interface provides an easy way to implement further features than the ones that are already implemented by the add-on, but once we understand what bypassing a zone does, we can look whether this can be hooked into HA (like we did with PIR sensors).

1 Like

Hi @alfredo,

Thanks for the response, I hope it is something that can be done.

I believe this is issue with “last motion” script, not with your addon.
Will try component soon, thanks for hard work!

Hi @rob196,

Before we can start looking into this, I’d need to understand how the “bypass a zone” functionality works, and how it is achieved via the web interface. Would you elaborate on that, please? Thank you!

Hi @alfredo,

It is not possible via the web interface (it only shows the bypassed zone(s)).

The idea is to see a zone is open (i.e. front door), then use a switch to bypass then zone(s), then you would arm the alarm. Once you disarm, the previously bypassed zone(s) are no longer bypassed (i.e. would be temporary bypassing zone(s)).

Not sure if this will help, but I see Tertiush shared the code his Alarmin android app uses to bypass a zone:

Easy install from repo, stop previous, delete, add repo, add component, copy/paste config and that’s it.
Not even a restart! :slight_smile:

Hi @rob196,

The short answer is that if it cannot be done via the web interface, I’m afraid my add-on cannot do it.

I’ve looked at the issue you mentioned, and indeed that code uses the binary protocol connection to the IP150 instead of the web interface. This is further confirmed by this other line of the Alarmin source code. Sorry for the bad news!

Thanks @alfredo, not the news I was hoping for, but appreciate you looking into it and the quick response.

Hi!
“PANEL_CODE”: “[mastercode]”,
“PANEL_PASSWORD”: “[webpassword]”,
where do I find these codes?

Hi @fezo76,

These are the code and password you would normally input on your IP150 login page, when accessing it from your browser. Hope this helps!

1 Like