đŸ”„ Pellet stove 'Duepi-evo'

Thank! No soldering will help :wink: I think it will be time to start with the ESP projects

If I use this board: Link

Then I can program it directly through the USB connection on that board? Plugin the 4 cables and lets heat the room? :wink:

What type of board is that on the picture? The same but without the programmer functions?

Hmm, you can,
but you’re on your own figuring out how to wire it to the stove (can’t be that difficult thoughđŸ€”)

But i think it is easier with the stuff i mentioned (and price wise maybe even cheaper)

I see that the prices on banggood went up, since you ordered. So I will order in the netherlands:

Any usage to order an extra set?

You only need dupont female-female.

Checked Aliexpress??

Thanks! Will have to wait longer, but it is really cheaper
 Quick question, I read about putting the CH340 in download mode (with the older USB model) How do I put the one on your list in download mode? (Thanks, and will post my succes, or failure!)

Mogûh @Whatsek,

I honestly don’t have a clue what they’re talking about
maybe weird translation from chinese to english?
try this one instead
€ 0,59 22 Off | 1PCS USB TTL converter UART module CH340G CH340 3.3V 5V switch

Could i use an esp 8266 instead? Because that’s what i have on hand right now

Yea sure, any ESP that can be programmed with ESPLink

1 Like

I received all the hardware, stripped the cables to program and flashed the chip. I emailed DUEPI for the pin layout, because the Artel Julia Next has a different connector, and different colors. So I can’t test is yet. Is it also possible to use ESPhome instead of ESPlink?

I will post the pin layout for fellow Artel Julia stove owners, and I will keep you posted about my progress!

Hmm, i wasn’t aware duepi uses different version of their ‘box’

The black connector on the photo is J8
1 Gnd
2 RX ttl
3 TX ttl
4 +5 volt

Full diagram and info of that box is in the pdf on GitHub😉

ESPLink is a serial2wifi adapter, and ESPHome is not
so that makes it a no

However, it is still on my whish list to convert my current solution into an ESPHome version

But
as usual, I have a serious lack on time

Unfortunately no help or response from Duepi or Artel which cable is what.

I opened the Duepi box and I have 4 colors: White, orange, purple and red.
They can be: Ground, 5v, TX and RX.
Can any one figure out which one is which?

Well

Because of the massive ground plane, I am pretty sure the connector on the left is ground :wink::

If you use that point to start with, it should not be difficult to find the +5V (would measure a steady voltage) It would be logical to use the pin on the right, in order to keep as much distance between Gnd and +5v as possible to avoid short-circuit.
Also, on the first picture it appears to go to the green power LED, but I can’t see that clearly

That leaves TX and RX in the middle (TX might measure some pulses, while RX would remain low).
Besides, it doesn’t really matter if TX/RX are connected wrong, it won’t break the unit, it just won’t work. So when it is not working, just swap them :wink:

If I look at the coloring of the connector on the first picture, it looks very much like the info I got from duepi for JP8, which makes sense, as the stove would still use the same plug on the outside for their wifi module :smiley:

1 = White = Gnd
2 = Orange = RX
3 = Red = TX
4 = Violet = +5v
So maybe start with measuring White / Violet ?

PS: Actually, Duepi was quite helpful with the pin-layout,
Did you use [email protected] ??

Sorry, I missed your message! Thanks for the feedback, I will try that color scheme this weekend!
I emailed with [email protected] several times, but they wouldn’t help me. The reaction was:

I’m sorry but we can’t supply this informations. They are property of our customer. Colours can change based on wiring suppliers.
Please call them for support.

Which is nonsense, because they know exactly what the layout is on there own devices.

So I finally put all the hardware together, and flashed the ESP01 with esplink. I measured the wires and put it altogether. Connected to wifi and all looked fine

but no response from the stove. My console in esp-link shows nothing. I switched the RX/TX to check if that was the problem, still nothing. I assume that if I have a booting board, the VCC and ground should be fine! I checked the baud rate and other values in the esplink, they seem the same as in your examples (everything stock, after flashing?) If I telnet to the IP on port 23, I can connect but no data is appearing. I measured with a voltmeter the wires (I used an old computer power supply connector as it is the same as that on the stove, to check my cables, they are fine.
@aceindy any suggestions that I could try? Maybe that the ground wire is not ground wire? And it still powers on? I am almost there, I know it
 :wink:

Hmm, it should show some signs if life when you boot up the duepi module, if i remember well

Maybe worth to try some of the python scripts from the repository ?
(you’ll probably need to adapt the IP addresses )
That enables you to do some testing outside HA

PS: When I started i had access to the original duepi wifi-module. What i did is to add 2 esplink’s (one on TX and one on RX) and logged what was transmitted and received.

Dear friends! I bought an ESP-01. Programmed as ESP-LINK. Connected to my fireplace. Installed the program dpremote. Everything works locally. But I need to operate the fireplace from another city. I don’t understand how to set up ESP-LINK so that control goes through the duepi server?
I live in Latvia and there is no way to buy an original wifi module.
Please help me to deal with this problem.

1 Like

Hi @Vladruslv,

Programming the EspLink can be a bit tricky
GitHub - jeelabs/esp-link: esp8266 wifi-serial bridge, outbound TCP, and arduino/AVR/LPC/NXP programmer.
But then you mentioned you already have the ESP-Link flashed?
You need to wire it to the Duepi-evo board using JP8:
Then you only need to add it to HomeAssistant (you can use HACS)
For EspLink the config would be:

climate:
  - platform: duepi_evo
    name: Pellet stove
    host: <your.esplink.ip-address>
    port: 23
    scan_interval: 60
    min_temp: 6
    max_temp: 30

I am about to test a esp-07 Wifi Module.
That should eliminate the need to program it, so it should be possible to use it out of the box :yum: (but, as said, theoretically, still need to test it :thinking:)

Thanks for such a quick response!
Yes, I have ESP-LINK stitched.
I connected it to my fireplace.
The dpremote program is working. But only locally.
If I understand correctly, then nothing will work through duepivewebserver?
My ISP provides only a dynamic IP address. I can only connect ESP-LINK through some server.
But I don’t know how to do it

If anyone is interested, then the fireplace is CENTROPELET

1 Like