Philips Hue: Unable to find bridge

Hi,

I’ve done an overhaul on my Home Assistant intergration in my home. I’ve tossed out the old HA server and done a complete reinstallation. Nice and fresh.

I’m having a problem finding my Philips Hue bridge and no matter how I try HA won’t find it.
It wasn’t any problem setting it up in my Stream Deck and my Tibber app also found the bridge off the bat.

Is there a way to add some configuration lines to manually point to where the Hue bridge is located?
I’ve tried adding hue: and bridges: to my config, but “Unable to discover Hue bridges” is still the only respons in HA.

I can reach https://discovery.meethue.com/ and is actually presented with two bridges. Philips says everything looks find on their backend and my Hue bridge is marked as Online in the Meet Hue portal.

Any clues?

Cheers
David

1 Like

@PaleSkinnySwede
Did you install the Philips Hue integration?
Once that is configured (provide the Hue bridge IP-address and press the button on the bridge to allow the integration to talk to it) from the UI of the integration you don’t have to configure anything manually.

Thanks for the swift reply @anon94216691. But that’s the thing. It won’t let me.

So this is what I’m doing:

• Click Settings
  • Click Devices & Service
  • Click + Add Integration
  • Filter for Hue
  • Click Philips Hue
  • It says “Please wait while Philips Hue is being setup”
  • It then says “Unable to discover Hue bridges”
1 Like

Sometimes auto-discovery does not work.
Did you try the manual configuration steps described here?

Also make sure your Hue bridge is using a static IP so the address does not change in case the bridge gets rebooted.
Can you ping the IP of the bridge from another host?
Is the Hue app on your phone working properly?

I have, multiple times. And the steps I wrote in my previous post is pretty much the “Manual configuration steps” from that page.

I guess I need an even more manual way since the manual config according to that page is using auto-discovery still.

Yes, I can reach the bridge over the network. I just tried to set it up with the Tibber app on my phone and it finds it perfectly and just works. No problems adding it to my Stream Deck either.

The Hue app on my phone is working flawlessly too.

That’s really strange. When I add the Hue integration it asks for the IP-address / hostname of the Hue bridge right away:

hue-integ

(I’m using HAOS with OS 8.2, Core 2022.6.6 and Supervisor 2022.05.03)

Are you sure your HA host is allowed to talk to the Hue bridge (so there is no firewall between or different VLAN preventing communication)?

In your first post you write that https://discovery.meethue.com presents two bridges!?
Unless you are running two different Hue bridges you should only see one?
Is it a v2 or an older v1 bridge?

I’m on the same versions as you, and yes – this is really strange and has puzzled be for a few days now.

I never get that popup.

Regarding firewall rules and network segmentation;
I can ping the Hue bridge.
I can curl the Hue bridge.
I can reach the https://10.0.0.250/debug/clip.html page too where my Hue bridge is located.

All that works.

Can I force the Hue bridge ID and IP into HA somehow?

1 Like

Hm, running out of ideas now. Don’t think you can “force” it as the integration has to populate all your hue-entities in HA…
Have you checked the HA-logfiles to get a better error-message?

I found another guy who had similar problems adding the bridge to HA.
He could solve it by upgrading the Hue bridge firmware to the latest version.
Maybe it’s worth checking from withing the Hue app to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for your bridge?

Besides that: When you have your Hue-integration added with (non-working) auto-discovery, try to add it a second time (by clicking settings → devices & services / integrations → “+ Add integration” → Hue) and see if you get the popup for hostname/IP this time.

And don’t forget to push the button on the Hue bridge to allow the integration to connect / control it…

Sorry, that’s all I can think of now.

I really appreciate your effort. Thanks man! I’ll keep digging to see if I can get it to work.

What’s left is a factory default of the Hue bridge. I prefer not to do it but when everything fails…

Factory reset should be last resort.
Did you check the firmware or try to add the integration twice?

Anyway I hope you‘ll get it sorted out.

@PaleSkinnySwede I’m curious to hear if you have you been able to make any progress with your stubborn Hue-bridge and how?

1 Like

Nopes. Haven’t had much time to dig too deep.

I might spin up a new HA instance on a virtual machine just to see if it fins the bridge. We’ll see.

1 Like

Hi,

Exactly same issue here, been following this. Any progress on your side?

1 Like

Me too: exactly same problem in September 2022.
Everything is at last version/firmware, both HA on RPi and Hue bridges (2). One bridge had been found and works, another had been initially found, then started failing to connect. I try deleting it, so to re-add it after… but now it’s not anymore discoverable.
I tried everything. I’d rather not reset my principal bridge (the one not working) 'cos I’ve over 30 Hue lights + accessories and lots of scenes…
Anything new?
Did you, @PaleSkinnySwede, solve the issue?
Many thanks

Wow. Without doing anything to my two Hue bridges and related network addresses, after my last HA update to 2022.9.4 (from 9.1)… as a miracle HA rediscovered my disappeared bridge.
Boh… in any case… problem auto-solved :slight_smile:
Hopefully it will last ok.

hello, problems here too.
first in nodered (it crashed) and now, after updating to 2022.10.4, the bridge can no longer be found… no more hue component available… Alexa and GoogleHome, as well as Smartthings, however, have no problems. ewelink app also finds all HUE elements…

Please help

You can add the Hue integration manually if it is not discovered. From Open your Home Assistant instance and show your integrations. click + then type philips, then click on hue, then type the ip address of your Hue hub. Proceed from there.

Hello,
it had nothing to do with “integration” itself. It is working. There were problems with “Bridge” and “devices” added after “integration”. and in NodeRed. Somehow “NodeRed Hue” + “integration HUE” don’t “get along”.
But I left the alleged “wrong bridge” because it doesn’t work otherwise and had to uninstall “HUE integration in NodeRed”.

This thread isn’t about Node Red. I suggest you post in the Node red section Node-RED - Home Assistant Community

Hi guys,

I am having the same issue. deleted the integration, now trying to re-add it … but it is giving an error at the end when it asks to press the button on the bridge to link the integration