Platinum Weather Card support

I would like to introduce the Platinum Weather Card. It can be found in HACS.
This is basically a replacement for the bom-weather-card, but with a complete GUI configuration. While the readme suggests it is still in beta, it is probably already far better than the card it was based upon. The main aim of this card is to provide gui config as well as a tonne of flexibility. I have been working closely with @DavidFW1960 (the author of the old card) and others from around the world to try and make it usable with everyone’s favorite weather provider.
You can find the card in HACS or go to the github repo to read more
Platinum Weather Card
Keen for questions in here, but also if it is easier create an issue on github with lots of pictures, config and other details.

8 Likes

This looks good and thanks.

Question: The text suggests we may be able to populate one weather card but by pulling data from more than one weather integration! is this correct?

Yes, as long as the entities you want to use are not in weather.* properties.
TLDR version: A lot of weather integrations provide a single weather.location entity with a limited set of attributes. It only make sense to be able to use one of these (although the configuration lets you pull different attributes from different entities). To get the full experience you need additional entities to fill out the data that is not normally provided in the weather.location entity. Some integrations provide additional entities with this data, others don’t.

1 Like

Its also fully compatible config wise with the old card to migrate over

1 Like

@stevo92 This may be of interest to you reference our last conversation. May allow you to use metoffice and met.no together to achieve what you wanted…maybe!

Keen to hear of weird use cases. I have one of my own which was the reason I started a new version of the card that the old one couldn’t deal with.
My pet hate with weather stuff is confusing fact with fiction (ie. observations and forecasts).
I have 2 official weather stations about 7-10km from my house (and I am building a local weather station as well), but I only want a single forecast card. So I want 2-3 observation cards and one forecast card. Some of this is still a work in progress, but with the ability to enable/disable sections at will there is already a lot of flexibility.

1 Like

Thanks mate il check it out and report back

@rossk got it working pretty well so far, thanks for the tag!

@theRat is there a way of getting tap_action: to work on this card ? I want it to go to a navigation menu item with more details on but so far not been able to get tap action working ? Nice card by the way !

1 Like

Not at this stage. If you create an issue for a Feature Request on github (mostly so it gets tracked and I don’t forget to think about it) it will get looked at in due course.
I have a few higher priority tasks at the moment (new improved icons, better handling of small screens and finishing the documentation).

How is this card setup when you are using yaml mode?

From the repo. Seems like only ui mode
Due to the complexities of the card (icons/split code for performance) it is not recommended you do a manual install (also you don’t get automatic updates offered, please use HACS!)

Is there information somewhere on the custom entities in the slot section? I’d like to have a custom entity shown, but I can’t find anywhere to tell the card what I want custom entity 1 to be, so it just shows as unknown.

edit: OK, I did find a way to enable the custom entities, but I’m not sure if it’s the correct way. I looked through the code and saw some mentions of the entity_custom1, etc. By going into YAML mode in the slots section, I can add:

custom1: true

which seems to then add the custom 1 entity entries. So I think I figured out how to do what I want, but now I’m curious if it’s the “right” way to do it.

I wasn’t talking about installing as I install through hacs. Are you (the author) saying that the card only works from the UI? I do have a dashboard that I use for testing and it doesn’t see the card under custom cards.

If you can’t find a card then select manual and type the name out e.g something like type: custom:platinum-weather-card

Then you would need to learn what the possible entities are from GitHub and fill out whatever you desire.

Doing it via the UI should still work fine even if you start with a manual card and enter its name manually, and is what is recommended

I haven’t had time to update the doco to add all the yaml options. It is on the list of things to do.

When you choose any of the custom_x for a slot it will add 3 extra fields at the bottom of the config page to configure the behavior.
In the yaml it would look something like this.

slot_r8: custom1
custom1_icon: mdi:flash-triangle-outline
custom1_units: volts
custom1_value: sensor.apc_smart_ups_nominal_battery_voltage

It is 100% in HACS so if you dont see it to add in lovelace make sure the resource is loaded and/or clear cache

1 Like

If you were previously using my card (which this one is based on) you can just change the card type and use that old configuration. You could also make a new dashboard to add the car via GUI and then save that yaml created to paste in your usual dashboard

It was a cache issue. I thought (obviously wrong) that reloading resources and then refreshing would load the card.
It does now that I cleared the cache.

Thanks.

1 Like

Using this card since beta version and really like it. It was a bot roublesome to configure with Weatherbit integration I use, but sorted it out. One thing I’m missing is to be able to display weather alarms in more profound way. Currently I use extended section for this and it looks a bit dull:

Here is screenshot of card I made some time ago, that is build from the ground using standard HA cards. As you can see wether alert stands out using header, color coding for alert severity and icon:

Would it be possible to have something like that implemented in Platinum card?

2 Likes