Plugwise Smile custom_component (BETA)

This is about Plugwise Smile and (its) plugs - if you are looking for the Plugwise circle/stealth see this topic

If you aren’t shy to try beta software, have an Adam, Anna or P1 Smile for your climate and/or power monitoring and anxious to get it working in Home-Assistant we (@bouwew and @CoMPaTech) present the beta and custom_component for plugwise. Difference with the currently upstreamed and HA-core available plugwise component is we support a much bigger range of Plugwise devices.

If you’re less confident have some patience, we are working towards a PR against HA-core to update the existing component so everyone can enjoy. Installing this custom_component involves configuring HACS and/or manual tinkering.

To get started, review the README on https://github.com/plugwise/plugwise-beta version 0.1.0. and share your experiences here and your issues at that repo!

If you’re unsure how to start, if you already use the HA-core component or a previous version:

• You are not using Anna or Adam yet in HA: make yourself familiair with HACS if you have that installed you’ll be able to add the component in mere seconds
  • You are using the HA component: prepare HACS as per above, note that you’ll have to remove your current plugwise config by removing those lines from you configuration.yaml
  • You are using the downloaded version of the old Anna-HA or bouwes repositories, you’ll have to remove that custom component and remove the plugwise config from your configuration.yaml . You can decide to either download the component yourself or go the HACS-way indicated above.

The new custom_component is configured through the web-interface as shown a in this post up. We can’t urge you enough to read the README file that is included in the repository and obviously help eachother to get things up and running. Current things we - based on input of fellow owners testing - support are (v as in firmare major version): Adam v2/v3, Anna v1/v3/v4 and P1 v2/v3.

On behalf of @bouwew and myself big thanks to @riemers and @Tane for their support and all our testers over the last week(s) who dealt our typos and challenges.

3 Likes

Small update, we have filed a provisional/draft PR for the HA-core team to have a look at our efforts.

Hi all,

We’ve just released a new update on the Plugwise platform, all ready for the upcoming 0.109 release of HA this wednesday. If you are already on 0.109-beta you can dig in. Please check the release notes as this is a breaking update.

Looking forward to your feedback, @bouwew and @CoMPaTech

Running this beta custom component since the release of HA 0.109. I am facing issues where the component is throwing errors after a while and the gateway isn’t reachable anymore. See attached screenshot below.

I contacted Plugwise about another issue; app isn’t working although everything is setup properly as the HTML interface portion is working. This was their reply (sorry for Dutch wording). Don’t know if it might be related.

Er is momenteel een storing met de Plugwise server. Dit heeft invloed op de Stretch en de Smile P1 (V1 en V2). Hierdoor lopen de grafieken achter en is de app mogelijk niet bruikbaar. We zijn momenteel hard aan het werk om het zo snel mogelijk op te lossen. Zodra het probleem is opgelost ontvang je van ons weer een bericht.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Maarten
Plugwise B.V.

Hello Bas,

Which type of Smile do you have? A Smile P1, is that correct? Not an Anna or Adam?

I’m not completely sure about the error but it looks like the connection cannot be set up.
@CoMPaTech what do you think?

I have an Anna with firmware version 4.0.15. Currently the only Plugwise product I own / use.

Thanks for your clarification.
You are also having troubles connecting to the Smile of the Anna? Can you connect to the Smile via the locally assigned IP-address?

Normally I can connect to it, via its static IP address assigned to it, using Plugwise Home app (HTML interface option) or browser (even via connect.plugwise.net). But when these errors are reported, the gateway is not accessible anymore, Anna can’t connect to Smile either, causing the ‘red screen’. I need to unplug / restart the Smile gateway.

Ok, the situation is clear, thanks.

The HA Plugwise custom_component needs to be able to read data from the Smile.
When this is not possible, there will be errors like shown above.
This can only be resolved by you finding out why your Smile keeps dropping the connection.
Maybe too low Wifi-signal-strength? Or a bad Ethernet cable?

It is connected via WiFi, but almost next to the AP, so it is not the WiFi signal strength.

What I want to rule out is the possibility the HA custom component is causing too many requests / connections (concurrently) causing the gateway to get hung up?

The Plugwise-beta custom_component fetches data once per minute.

I have an Anna too, since a few months connected to an Adam. But before the Adam was added, I never had any issues like you experience, also not with an update-frequency interval of 20 seconds.
Recently, with the Adam, I am seeing some different errors in my HA log, but these indicate that there are limited communication errors, not a continuous comms failure like what you have.

So, in my opinion, the root-cause of your issue is not in HA.

@bouwew OK, thank you for your time and thoughts on my issue. I will continue to try and sort it out. If I get to the cause of the issue I’ll will update it here just for reference to others.

HI,

because my core climate Anna refused to work today, I installed the latest beta, without issues, so thanks for that.

I was wondering why you changed the boiler_temperature in ‘auxiliary_dhw_state’ and ‘auxiliary_water_temperature’?

Of course we can change the names en entity_id’s, and I have changed the icon :wink:
simply confused as to the reason. Especially since the former integration did use the boiler in its states, allowing me to do:

kantoor_thermostat_temperature_boiler:
        friendly_name: Boiler temp
        value_template: >
          {{state_attr('climate.kantoor','boiler_temperature')}}
        icon_template: >
          {% set boiler = state_attr('climate.kantoor','boiler_temperature')|int %}
          {% if boiler > 60 %} mdi:thermometer-high
          {% elif boiler > 20 %} mdi:thermometer
          {% elif boiler > 0 %} mdi:thermometer-low
          {% else %} mdi:thermometer-alert
          {% endif %}
        unit_of_measurement: '°C'

That is how it sometimes goes in product-development :slight_smile:
The main reasons are changing requirements from Home Assistant Core, comments from reviewers, developers that have new ideas…
We try to keep things as much as backwards-compatible as possible but sometimes it’s just not possible.

If i want add the Custom Component i get this error; Repostitory structure for 0.2.3 is not compliant. i have HA updated to 0.109 and the latest Hacs version

I fixed the issue for lovelace it is Integrations.

Hi Willem, does it work or doesn’t it work now?

He is working now. How Can I add the Tom radiator plug in HA?

now understand that means Domestic Hot Water.

Haha, but I understand now, why keep things simple like saying ‘Boiler’ if you can also say ‘lets check my Auxiliary Domestic Hot Water installation’ ;-)) This must add to the WAF…

if that’s the terminology used going forward, then why not use ‘auxiliary_dhw_temperature’ …

my OCD, sorry.

Not everyone has a CV-ketel nowadays, some have a device that also provides cooling, so the word boiler no longer fits.
And water_temperature is used because it shows the temperature of the heated water inside the auxiliary device. Which is directly used for heating of the house. From that water, via a heat-exchanger, the DH-water is made. These temps are not the same. I will have a look whether there is a separate sensor for DHW present, if you would like an additional sensor for that.