Pod Point EV Charger Integration

This looks brilliant.

Is it possible to use something like this to monitor whether a public charger is in use or not? Would like to be able to receive a notification when the charger at my work (which is open to public) is free or not?

Thanks for an excellent integration. Installed without trouble via HACs and all working - potentially going to be a great fix for an issue I have charging EV when my Powerwall battery is set to Self-Powered.

Briefly, I use self powered mode in summer so Powerwall is exclusively charged from Solar PV. Unfortunately charging an EV overnight flattens the battery meaning have to import grid energy until the sun shines again. Time-based control mode (I use it in winter) doesn’t have the problem as it always uses the grid during cheap rate times.

So now I can detect ‘charging’ and use the Powerwall integration to set the battery to time-based until charging is done. This integration saves me having to try and guess charging is taking place by looking at grid import.

Thanks again

PS do find it quite funny that Tesla don’t have good solution with powerwall for charging an EV - hey ho!

If you have a moment please can you explain what this line is doing/how it works?
I can see it is going to result in either a switch.turn_on or switch.turn_off but how?

Appreciate you sharing - cheers

It works as an OR statement, just a bit shorter than writing it out normally. I’ve put the two entity names I want to consider into a list. The map then turns that into a list (strictly a generator, but don’t worry about that) of their states, and the max returns the largest value — in the case of strings, the latest string alphabetically.

Because the values should only be 'on' or 'off', it’ll return 'on' if there is one in the list, otherwise 'off'.

1 Like

A pod point update - wonders will never cease!

A charge now button and manual charge mode have appeared.

Just an fyi

1 Like

This post here: Podpoint rate of charge modification for Solar PV - #3 by Ant-6009

Suggests the charge rate is setable by the API

This would be a useful function if it could be supported.

My board doesn’t have the DIP switches.

I’ve had a look into this and the manual/smart/charge now functionality can definitely be added to the integration :tada:

I’ll take a look over the next week or so and get it in

@StephenMilner I don’t have a pod with the API changeable rates, do you see an option in the app somewhere? If so, are you able to send some screenshots?

That would be great, many thanks. Your integration works fine today but charge now is cleaner than taking over the schedule completely.

All good!

Just to clarify, and maybe even correct myself:
I can’t to the conclusion that it was possible to change the charging rate after reading the account of a user who couldn’t charge at more than 3.6kwh, complained about it to podpoint who remotely enabled 7kWh.

Further to this, I have observed than when solar panels generate more than 3.2kW (or thereabouts), the charger will try it’s best to limit the charge to 3.6kW or so.

I came to the conclusion, perhaps wrongly, that this must be achieved throughout the API.

I was just on a call with PodPoint support and they remotely changed my charge rate of my PodPoint. They said they may include the feature in the app in the future but I would need to call up to get the charge rate changed.

I’ve just done a HACS upgrade and I’ve now got a problem as the integration failed to log into my account.

Update - There’s a note about resetting your password on the Github notes - Seems to have fixed the integration.

I had to power cycle the pod point unit itself to even allow the app to manually start a charge - I’ll verify that the integration can do it’s stuff and report back if there’s a problem.

Hi Stephen,
Pod Point made a change to their authorisation system, you may find you are also unable to log into the mobile app. Please reset your password in the pod point app or website and try again.

To be clear, this is not a plugin issue but to do with PodPoint

2 Likes

Thanks.

I read that note on GitHub and did exactly that - Worked a treat. I also like the support in the app for Manual/Override mode as well. Although I’ll stick with the original method of switching the charger on & off, at least for the time being.

This integration, coupled with using Octopus Agile half hourly rates is probably going to end up saving me several hundred quid a year.

Thanks for your work.

1 Like

Morning @mattrayner,

I’ve noticed that recently, the “current energy” measurement is doing some strange things: on a 7kW charge it will start off with the correct upward gradient but switch to a shallower gradient as if measuring a lower power during the charge. Example plot below: current energy on top, house power on the bottom showing a four-hour 7kW charge (with peaks for other stuff):

The final figure at the top of the plot is much lower than actually delivered, as calculated by %age increase of my car’s SoC. In this case, the sensor says 13kWh for a 40% point SoC increase on my 62kWh MG4.

Is this something you have any influence over, or is this as received via the API?

Hi Troon, unfortunately, this is pulled directly from the APIs so I have no control over it :frowning:

Whenever the update happens (every 5 minutes by default) I get the current charge value from the API and Home Assistant plots it on the graph

1 Like

I suspected as much. Thanks.

Bit of a weird one - but maybe I just don’t know enough!

When I put the Cable Status entity on an entity card the state shows as ‘Unplugged’, same on a picture element card - all good.

But when I put it on a custom:button-card it returns ‘off’. Here’s the yaml

type: custom:button-card
entity: binary_sensor.psl_197775_cable_status
show_name: true
show_icon: true
show_state: true
name: Podpoint
icon: mdi:ev-plug-type2
action: none

Anyone know why? (before I try and template a solution)

Thanks

Hi @steve_jo, its a binary sensor so its either on or off, the ‘unplugged’ treatment is because the ‘type’ is cable, once you are showing just the value its either on or off. You can add some logic here by making the state a template with something like

if state(binary_sensor.psl_197775_cable_status, 'on') then 'Connected' else 'Unplugged'
1 Like

Thanks for speedy reply.

Yes the template works fine

type: custom:button-card
entity: binary_sensor.psl_197775_cable_status
show_name: true
show_icon: true
show_label: true
name: Podpoint
icon: mdi:ev-plug-type2
action: none
label: |
  [[[ 
    if (states['binary_sensor.psl_197775_cable_status'].state == 'on') 
    return 'Connected'; 
  return 'Unplugged';
 ]]]

I don’t understand the difference in behaviour when putting the same entity on different cards. I didn’t know I was only showing the value on the button card but something more on the entity card when the yaml looks similar.

I guess from what you are saying there is extra logic in some cards that takes the type of the sensor into consideration and modifies what it displays accordingly. That logic isn’t there on the custom:button-card for whatever reason.

So much to learn!

Thanks again