Polite request: Who does not play nice with Home Assistant

(Like others) I’ve bought cheap light bulbs, only to find they don’t play nice with HA.

Bit like a black list, how to help newbies choose which devices play nice / work well with HA and which are (basically) a no no?

Sounds negative, but it is a money saver, and may nudge some makers to take note?

Maybe start by telling what you bought.

Here is a list of devices that can’t be flashed with Tasmota :

And I think the list of devices that don’t play nice is longer then the one that does play nice.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about the numbers on this list. Despite what @francisp said, I have not one device that is not working. A few of them took a little longer to crack, but in the end all is working.

What I want to say is this: this list would tend to be filled with devices, that aren’t working because of user errors, wrong buying (someone bought Zigbee but wanted Z-Wave), differences with the seller and so on… How would you check the list, and filter out all these entries…?

The best way for people to check, is to do two small searches: one on Startpage/Google/Bing and one here in the forum. If something is wrong with the device, it will popup very fast. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

me too, but I look if it is supported by HA before I buy. And by ‘not playing nice’ : it does not play nice if only controllable through the cloud.

2 Likes

That’s totally true, my first go to is to look in the forum, and if I can’t find any notice of the device, I’ll look for something different. :astonished: Isn’t it fun to be a HomeAutomationEnthusiast?!? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tapo (tp-link tapo) light bulbs.
No access from HA, linked up to Google via the cloud.
#fail IMHO

If I may, I think that this is not a great idea…

There are so many points of failure and to think that a really cheap device may now be listed on some blacklist because of some noob getting it wrong… well you can see where I am going…

It would almost be better to simply trawl the forums before buying and validating that a device wil lwork…

I have (albeit some years ago), suggested that there is an area on home-assistant.io which almost is like a “Shop” whereby nabu casa could earn affiliate revenues for directing punters to certain products that we all agree are sound products…

I prefer this “positive” approach to a “negative” approach where we just go about slagging off products on some blacklist…

But hey ho, that is just me…

4 Likes

I think it would be useful to have a source - which can be community project out of experiences - with devices that work so why nu turn it around: who plays nice with HA!

There could be categories like what works out of the box, need some fiddling (firmware, …)

Who decides what does not play nice with so many different types of integrations for a single device?

A device not work well with an api, but scraping works fine…

Just have a look at things like honeywell and homekit…

Why give a device a bad name when it is down to the one (of many myriads of possibilities) of actually simply connecting….

Don’t even get me started on things like gateways where something on zigbee/zwave etcetcetc may work great with one hub, but then rubbish on another…

Like I said, there are simply so many points of failure that you would never get to a validated definitive list…

Focus on what does work… avoid cheap crap and keep it positive

There is a custom component for Tapo sockets and bulbs. Just do a bit of search.
They can be controlled locally once you set them up first with the Tapo app.

Just read along the topic, you will see. And actually someone made a Bluetooth solution to set up the plug without a Tapo account.

Why did you buy them then?

1 Like

Guess this means the Tapo…blah is off the shitlist?

Yes, before purchasing anything else I would seriously stop and think about your plans… especially as far as bulbs/switches go… decide if WiFi Zigbee or Zwave is the route you wanna go. Consider your router and it’s capability to handle 40-50 WiFi devices as most “basic” consumer routers start to struggle with dropped connections over about 30 devices (even though their specs/literature may say otherwise)… then pick a protocol and build on it… you will obviously end up with a mixed system as that is whole point of Home Assistant… but use this as a guide to your purchases… Integrations - Home Assistant and see if the device you plan to buy is listed as being supported. Is future support guaranteed? Absolutely not… but it will make your whole journey a little more bearable…

3 Likes

Lol… so blunt…to the point… such a short fuse…. and truthfully consistent….Love you dude

Actually this custom component supports the bulbs with or without color:

Thanks you two! :slight_smile: Couldn’t have made my point clearer! :rofl: Such a list will not work as intended, it makes thing only more complicated!