Problem adding z-wave usb stick [SOLVED]

This is my first post and I am currently migrating fra Domoticz to HA.
But I have problem adding my z-stick gen 5.
From the log:
Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__ Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info()))) Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /zwaveusbstick : ['NoneType: None\\n']" Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: Traceback (most recent call last): Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 249, in async_setup Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self) Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 283, in async_setup_entry Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: config_path=config.get(CONF_CONFIG_PATH)) Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 81, in __init__ Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info()))) Jan 13 13:33:26 hassbian hass[18607]: openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /zwaveusbstick : [\'Traceback (most recent call last):\\n\', \' File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__\\n raise ZWaveException(u"Can\\\'t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\\n\', \'openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can\\\'t find device /zwaveusbstick : [\\\'NoneType: None\\\\\\\\n\\\']"\\n\']'

My configuration.yaml:

zwave:
          usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
          device_config: !include zwave_device_config.yaml````

ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jan 13 12:23 /dev/ttyACM0````

I am guessing it is a configuration issue, but I dont know where to go now…

I suspect that there is an error in the zwave_device_config file. I woud comment that entry out for now.

It’s odd that it says “Can’t find device /zwaveusbstick” in your error message since the path you’ve set isn’t called that. Have you ever set your usb_path as that before? If so might be worth confirming your config file was saved when you restarted HA.

Also wanted to confirm you added your homeassistant user (or whatever user runs HA) to the dialout group? (a few lines down this section of the docs)

I tried commenting out the zwave_device_config file, with no luck

@Brett_C: This is the first time I try to add anything z-wave related to HA, so I have never had any other usb_path before.
And the homeassistant user is member of dialout:

homeassistant : homeassistant dialout video input netdev spi i2c gpio

I also find it strange that is searching device /zwaveusbstick.
I did start the zwave module without a usb_path first time, can this message be related to this (e.g. zwaveusbstick is a “defualt” name if no usb_path is defined).

Is there anyway to reinstall the python-zwave/HA module?

check in the config/.storage/core.config_entries file to see if you have an entry there for the “/zwaveusbstick”.

If so then stop HA, rename that file to something else (add .old to the end, etc) then delete that file then restart HA. it should create a new one.

Or if you are confident in editing json then you can just remove the entry for the “/zwaveusbstick” after doing all of the aforementioned protective stuff.

@finity This was the solution! Thank you so much!
And thanks to all replies!

1 Like

I know this one is solved, I’m just curious, how can I fix the same issue? I have the USB with Zwave plus and only have access to the GUI, and I’m getting the same errors.

Sorry, HI! New User!

Anyway, yeah:
I plugged it in and the blue light flashed once.
I then added the integration in integrations.
I clicked start network in the (somewhat hidden!) special z-wave configuration menu.
Then I just get the same errors as our friend above.

In the spoiler are the errors :slight_smile:

Summary
1 summary
Error doing job: Future exception was never retrieved
8:34:29 PM – components/zwave/__init__.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 8:24:19 PM and shows up 2 times 

1a - this is that plus the rest from the first check
8:24:19 PM – components/zwave/__init__.py (ERROR)
Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway
8:24:19 PM – Z-Wave (WARNING)
Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {'notificationType': 'DriverFailed', 'homeId': 0, 'nodeId': 255}
8:19:19 PM – /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/openzwave/network.py (WARNING)

2 full
2020-04-21 00:19:19 WARNING (Dummy-2) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {'notificationType': 'DriverFailed', 'homeId': 0, 'nodeId': 255}
2020-04-21 00:24:19 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway
2020-04-21 00:24:19 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Future exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 891, in _finalize_start
    poll_interval = network.get_poll_interval()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 873, in get_poll_interval
    return self.manager.getPollInterval()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 564, in manager
    raise ZWaveException(u"Manager not initialised")
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Manager not initialised'

3. This is that first one ''
Log Details (ERROR)

Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/zwave/__init__.py:891
First occurred: 8:24:19 PM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:34:29 PM

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 891, in _finalize_start
    poll_interval = network.get_poll_interval()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 873, in get_poll_interval
    return self.manager.getPollInterval()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/openzwave/network.py", line 564, in manager
    raise ZWaveException(u"Manager not initialised")
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Manager not initialised'