Problem with ZHA network visualization

Not to ruin your zigbee journey, but after some pretty extensive experimenting with zigbee (of more flavors that I will admit too ), wifi, and bluetooth. Bluetooth with the right collector device is the way to go for temperature and humidity sensing around the house in and out at low cost and high relibility.

For OTA firmware update with ZHA look here OTA Image Types Firmware versions · dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin Wiki · GitHub

Probably a ConBee problem in conjunction with Aqara see link I provided before (sorry long post!)

Why? Compatibility / Reliability?
I just started to experiment for my future house to be built. So I would be interested to know why you choose Bluetooth that seems just entering the world of IOT? Did you experiment with z-wave?
Did you try any on/off - dimmer modules in any of these technologies ? …

And just like that - the Aqara sensor decides it wants to show its linkage:

Good news. Interesting and I am sure frustrating to some level.

I have been reading the info in this post below by @Dueller . There is a custom component called ‘zha-map’ by one of the main contributors to ZHA @Adminiuga . I am still not really sure I understand what the purpose of this tool is, but in reading some of the issues around it and looking into the code, it appears it might do some ‘clean’ up on the zha network that perhaps currently is not done by the built in ZHA tools. Might be worth a read.

1 Like

Will take a look. Cheers @dproffer.

From what I understand ZHA scan the network for neighbors every four to five hours. It is planned to add, in a future release, a service call like the zha_map.scan_now to ZHA to force an immediate scan. Meanwhile if you want to force more frequent scans you can add this to configuration.yaml file

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    topology_scan_period: 20 # set the scan interval to 20 mn

according to @Samantha (developer of Zigzag) interval value should not be less than 20

Normally zha-map is not used anymore by any of the “new” visualization tools (including Zigzag). So apart from may be waking-up some sleepy devices it should not make any differences.

Currently, in my tiny test network, all my Aqara devices are correctly linked to either the ConBee II coordinator or to my two Philips Hue routers.

Small typo :slight_smile:
Best, JR

Yes you’re right!
Corrected :slight_smile:

You don’t need zha-map anymore with the latest (2020.12.x and newer) releases, which have either built in one, or the pretty one - ZigZag from Samanha.
There’s no “scan now” service ATM, instead users are urged to practice patience till next scheduled network scan, which occurs either 3 or 4 hours, don’t remember exactly.

Thanks for the info and update. The repository did seem ‘dated’. Yes patience, I like to toss my unattached devices around the ZHA Visualization while waiting for them to ‘connect’ with a ‘pal’ :wink:

Zigbee2MQTT sounds like it has benefits that ZHA does not - stability and OTA firmware update capability.

Is it possible to run both ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT?

If not, what system changes would I have to make to switch to Zigbee2MQTT?
I’ve got a Sonoff Zigby Bridge running with Tasmota firmware.

On another related topic, I just updated HA to:
core-2021.2.0
supervisor-2021.01.7

The first thing I notice is that in the ZHA Visualization map, Zigbee device addresses are reported in hex again. :+1:

Not on the same coordinator device and therefor not on the same Zigbee network.

Pretty sure the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge Tasmoto’ed or not is NOT supported as coordinator by Zigbee2MQTT.

What are people using for a Zigbee coordinator, with Zigbee2MQTT?

Thanks. All these appear to be host-controlled devices, rather than a stand alone coordinator.

I believe that the Sonoff Zigbee unit is about the only ‘open’ device I’ve seen that is not USB or direct bus connected to a host CPU. And the experts do not think that the wifi tcp socket connection that is used between the Sonoff Zigbee bridge and the host CPU is reliable.

And, we’re back:

Sorry to post a problem here but this seems a very “ZigBee Educated” thread.

I posted this in another thread but didn’t really get an answer.

My setup
Home Assistant docker (latest version)
Conbee II (latest firmware)
ZHA (I recently switched from DeCONZ to see if this would help the problem but it didn’t)
Philips Hue bulbs (mainly)
Philips Hue motion sensors (x4)
Philips Hue smart button (only 1)
Aquara Temperature sensor
Aquara Switch sensor
Trafri GU10 bulbs (only 2)
Tradfri mains outlet socket
Innr mains outlet socket

All has worked fine for over a year and I have been slowly growing my zigbee devices. Then about 2 months ago (just before I started adding bulbs that were non-Philips Hue) the following issue started.

Power-on a light from a physical light switch that had been previously switched off at the physical light switch. The light would switch on as expected but then the following would happen.
After a small amount of time being switch on (say 30 seconds) the light that was switched on would flash (off then back on) in about half a second. Then anything between 5 and 10secs after that it would do it again. It would repeat this a random amount of times. Sometimes once, sometimes 2,3 4, 5 and so on. Sometime this might go on for 5 mins repeating flash, wait, flash etc…
Also a nearby light that was already on may also emit the off/on flash (normally only once but sometimes multiple times).

This was initially just 1 or 2 lights then more started to do this.

I’ve been racking my brain Googling and trying to figure it out and come to the conclusion this is some sort of mesh reconfigure/reset that is going on when the light is powered-on from previously being powered-off. First I noticed lights that had been powered-off (via a physical switch) overnight would do this (others in the family haven’t got out of the habit of switching the light off before bedtime).

Hence a light that had been off for a number of hours was re-announcing itself to the mesh. What’s strange is the “powering-off lights” from a physical switch has always been there but the flashing only started recently,

Also until recently this theory held but then lights that may have been powered off for 20 or so minutes might emit the problem.

Another thing, some light regularly do this from power-on (like almost every time) and other much less frequently and even never.

I switched from DeCONZ to ZHA over the weekend as read somewhere someone saying DeCONZ previously had a similar issue with flashing lights as a light discovered sensors in the mesh. But it still happens in ZHA.

This is obviously very annoying and pretty much halted my HA project as its driving the household mad.

So…

Is this normal behaviour for the lights to flash and under what circumstance might this happen ?

Do I have some sort of issue somewhere ?

How do I troubleshoot and find the problem using ZHA, logging, visualisation etc…

Any help appreciated.

PS. I’ve still got my Philips Hue hub and may move all devices to that temporarily to see if it happens there also.

Toggling the power to a zigbee device of any kind is really not the ‘best proactice’ for the use of a zigbee network. I know you say it ‘work’ at times. But basically everytime a device joins (and leaves) the network a somewhat chaotic period begins for the next several hours as all the devices decide on new neighbor connections. Yes, the network should handle this without flashing bulbs, but devices like the Aqara’s and maybe others don’t seem to do as good a job of conforming to zigbee standards as others.

I know my above ‘opinion’ does not help you in any way. Maybe useful questions:

did problems start after some particular device was added? think about the Innr socket as it probably a router and I don’t know much about if anyone else is reporting compatibility issues to level of Aqara devices.

firmware version on all devices, especially all the bulbs? with my Ikea bulb ‘flashing’ issue on my Hue zigbee network, I suspect a firmware change on Hue bulbs may have changed the occurrences of this occurring. I’m pretty sure the only way I got rid of the problem was removing Ikea bulbs from Hue network.

painful, but you might need to segregate your devices to separate zigbee network. About the only way to do this is multiple zigbee2mqtt networks, or separate proprietary Hue and Ikea and ZHA networks.

any chance one or more of your bulbs or devices has a direct control, or grouping setup in it at the zigbee level? For example a Hue motion sensor that has had a config saved in it to turn on a zigbee group of individual bulb?

Hope there is some here with good knowledge to help you!

1 Like