Problems with Apple TV 4K status in HA

Hello,
Thanks for your response.
My Apple TV is connected directly to my TV, but it still doesn’t work.
If you needed to find a solution, please let me know.
With thanks.

I want to run an automation when my Apple TV gets turned off. But, when I hit the power button it changes the status to “Standby” not Turned off. I cannot find Standby as a trigger. Anything I can do?

Same thing here. All of my Apple TVs are directly connected to the TVs (or projector in one setup) via HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cables and I still get the same issue. This issue is specific to either the later generation Apple TV 4Ks or the integration. The first gen ATV 4K I have is working exactly as expected. The other 3 in the house that are the same model but later revision don’t work.

Use automation like this

- alias: TV off automation
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: media_player.[apple_tv]
      to: "standby"
      for:
        seconds: 5
  action:
    - service: switch.turn_off
      entity_id: switch.bedroom_tv_power

replace [apple_tv] with your own apple tv name. Remember the status will stay as “idle” if you hit the power button while still have background app.

1 Like

That worked! Thanks.

Hello everyone,
I tested again today with my Apple TV.
HA is not responding, but when I restart HA or the AT it responds immediately.
Has anyone found a solution for this yet?
Thanks for every response.

Any update on this?

I have ATV 4K 2nd gen and once the state becomes “standby” after I make the ATV sleeps I can’t get it to report it’s status correctly after restarting. It stays idle and that’s it.

I have to leave the ATV turned on all the time which is a pity…

some background app will make it stay in “idle”. as a work around, close all background app before turn off

Hi everyone
I am using ATV 4k 3rd Gen. May I ask if the states of ATV is not working in HA or not? it’s always showing ‘standby’ no matter what. Thanks.

It works. Try deleting the integration and re-adding it, solved it for me a while back when it didn’t update status.

Thanks so the issue is resolved by deleting and reinstalling the integration?

You would need to try, like I said it fixed it when I had the issue.

For some reason I cannot delete the Apple TV integration. I can only disable all devices and reboot HA and re-enable them again. If you know how to delete the integration please let me know thanks.

After re-enabling, I noticed that there’re only 3 status of ATV: idle, playing, paused.
Even I put the ATV to sleep, it’s still showing ‘idle’. When I turn it on, it’s still ‘idle’. The status cannot tell if the ATV is awake or not.

Do you not have this option? Or does it throw errors if you try deleting?

OK this is what you mean. I removed all devices under the integration and reboot HA and re-added all back.

There’re still issues:
Only 3 status of ATV: idle, playing, paused.
Even I put the ATV to sleep, it’s still showing ‘idle’. When I turn it on, it’s still ‘idle’. The status cannot tell if the ATV is awake or not. Is yours any different? I suppose when ATV is put to sleep, it should show ‘standby’?

No, you need to remove the integration, not the devices. Try deleting the whole integration → reboot → add the integration again either by discovery or manually.

These are the statuses of one of mine yesterday:

I already deleted all devices under apple tv integration and reboot HA and then devices are added automatically by discovery.

Still the same issue. What’s the version of your ATV?

It’s showing idle no matter what.

Again - delete the integration, not the devices. You should get a new prompt with codes displayed on your TV to use in the HA integration. If you automatically get the devices added again you haven’t deleted the integration.

I have one 4K (gen 3) (firmware: 17.3) and one 4K gen 1. (firmware 16.4).

Yes. There are new prompt with codes displayed on ATV when I added it again. So I think I did delete the integration.

Mine is 4k (gen 3) too and already at latest firmware.
I am at HA Core 2024.3.0 and Operating System 12.0

Do you have any VLAN setup or is it flat?