Programmatically read data from your Solar Inverter (Voltronic, Axpert, Mppsolar PIP, Voltacon, Effekta etc) and interface with Home Assistant via MQTT - Works with RS232 & USB!

On a Pi you can use a serial to usb converter?

Apparently yes
Usb série pi

Hi did you ever get help. I have been trying to use this and never get anything to work. I would appreciate a working image. You able to share. Something i can install and never break…

My thank to @ned-kelly for this fantastic docker.
I am using a single RCT axpert 5000W/5kva inverter with HA and almost everything is working.
I can send some command so the inverter via MQTT but i also want to send the command to set max grid charge current. in the pdf MUCHGC command is for parallel machines. What commands can i use to set this in a single inverter setup. I did try the parallel command but i only receive the following

Incoming request send: [POP00] to inverter.
Reply: ACK
Incoming request send: [MUCHGC002] to inverter.
Reply:
Incoming request send: [POP02] to inverter.
Incoming request send: [POP00] to inverter.

Thanks

I cant help you with your question but keen to find out what your inverter.conf file looks like, as I have someone with the same inverter and cant get the settings right.

Hi @BradleyGeldenhuys this is my inverter.conf settings.
Hope this help.

device=/dev/hidraw0
run_interval=20
amperage_factor=1.0
watt_factor=1.01
qpiri=102
qpiws=54
qmod=5
qpigs=110

1 Like

Thank you thank you. I didnt manage to get it to work. I think it might be a Protocol 18 inverter.

This is my setup for my 5kW Kodak

I’we been waiting for a solution to when mqtt 6 broke my setup, I read and tested all the config changes I could find here and other places. Nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have a working solution?
@ned-kelly, Please help

The only solution I could do was to revert to the older MQQT Broker.

I see there are two forks that apparently resolve the MQQT Broker issue.

Sadly none of the modification suggestions have been committed to Nedkelly’s version.

I am going to remove the Nedkelly fork and test out gadget78 fork as he has also created a valid change to support the energy integration in HA.

If anyone has a suggestion of changing fork without deleting and starting from scratch?

Hi,

I’ve just bought a Pi4 with the goal of using this.

Do you know if the battery percentage is voltage based or uses coulomb counting? I ask because I have a 14kwh 16s Lifepo4 pack and using voltage for SoC is not accurate.

I was looking at buying solar assistant - Real-time solar monitoring from a Raspberry Pi | SolarAssistant (solar-assistant.io)

As it has a virtual BMS that uses colomb counting and seems quite accurate in testing with others, but it does not allow the automation of HA.

I am using a JK/Heltec BMS and have the official BMS RS485 cable but have been unable to get anything useful out of it so I’m hoping that your setup

Alternatively, can we integrate Solar Assistant into HA?

In case anyone else has an MPP Solar 3048-LV-MK, here are the settings for inverter.conf that worked for me:

qmod=5
qpigs=110
qpiri=104
qpiws=40

I’m using the gadget78 fork, but it has a few errors when publishing to MQTT that I’ve corrected with this PR:

You have two options.

You can add another remote upstream:

Then pull from that remote.

Or you can:

• backup your modified files (this should just be your config files, but you can see which ones have been modified with git status)
  • delete the clone
  • reclone the new repo
  • copy back in your config files.

Once you’re done, you need to rebuild with:

docker-compose build

Then you can restart your container with:

docker-compose down
docker-compose up -d`
2 Likes

Do you have a battery also?

If so, is this accurate on SoC? Do you know if it’s using Voltage or Columb counting?

I do have a battery, and the voltage output seems to be accurate according to my best multimeter.

I don’t think it does Columb counting, so I’d probably only use the display’s SoC graphic as a rough estimate.

Hmm ok, this will be an issue then.

Without accurate SoC I cannot automate in the way that I want.

What battery do you have? If it’s LifePo4 like mine then voltage is a fairly poor way to determine capacity given the way the chemistry behaves.

SolarAssistant integration with HomeAssistant (solar-assistant.io)

As per above, SA does coulumb counting, but they want a 2nd Pi as SA seems to be a custom linux image that expects to be the only thing running.

Unless there’s a way for me to get the info straight out of the BMS via the RS485 into the Pi and HA somehow.

Hi! it’s work!
However, there is a parsing error.

Parametr “Battery_redischarge_voltage” set in “:-0.0,” while the QPIRI value displays the desired parameter:

Tue Oct 12 11:16:40 2021 INVERTER: QPIRI: 98 bytes read: (220.0 13.6 220.0 50.0 13.6 3000 2400 24.0 23.5 21.0 28.2 27.0 0 10 060 0 2 3 1 01 0 0 25.0 0 1`

How to fix it?

I tried multiple ways to track energy using voltage but that didn’t work. The charging voltage profile is different from the discharging profile. I also tried to track it using a calculated open circuit voltage, but ultimately the voltage is unreliable.

I ended up tracking energy in/energy out + inverter losses and the error < 5%. I reset every time the battery is drained or charged to minimize errors.

Hi
I have a Mppt Solar inverter 10Kw hybrid (voltronic)
I have setup docker on a pi3 and connect the inverter with usb cabel direct.
I have try all usb setting in config file for the inverter but I always getting this error
inverter: Unable to open device file (ERRNO=2 no such file or directory!
Error|690x229

What have i done wrong
i have use docker-compose and follow info on git
have also made a docker pull install but that not work too.

help please