Programmatically read data from your Solar Inverter (Voltronic, Axpert, Mppsolar PIP, Voltacon, Effekta etc) and interface with Home Assistant via MQTT - Works with RS232 & USB!

Thanks, I’m leaning this way instead at the moment.

jblance/mpp-solar: Python package to communicate to MPP Solar PIP-4048MS inverters (and similar) (github.com)

So I can talk to the BMS directly via BLE

I’ve been trying to get this to work for my MPP Solar PIP1012LV -MS and Rpi4 running stock Home Assistant for a couple days now but seem to be running into what must be simple problems. Also I have a disability that makes ingesting information a bit more difficult and that certainly doesn’t help. Can someone explain like I’m 5 how to get this to work?

Here’s what I tried:

• Attempting to install docker compose in my Home Assistant OS instance, but apparently there’s no “apt-get” and didn’t know how to go further.
  • Tried pulling the image, creating a stack, and adding the container in Portainer. Each of those “worked” as in I was able to get the container spun up, but now I don’t know how to find and access the config files to modify them with correct ports (my 1012 has a USB port, so hidraw0 sounds like the correct option).

I know these are simple docker/home assistant questions, but I can’t seem to get past these roadblocks. Can someone explain it step-by-step?

Much appreciated.

(Ignore this V, I’m running bone stock Home Assistant OS 2021.10.6 now.)

Good Day all, since there is a Pi shortage and my inverter Axpert 7.2kw has wifi which connects to my network to use with watchpower, is there a way to set it up so that i can use the wifi with HA instead of a Pi and usb? Note sure if its possible? Can’t really find info on this, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanx

2 Likes

Oleg. Did you find proper values for inverter.conf ?

Hello There,

If you are running Supervised Home Assistant on your RPi4 then it should be relatively easy to add the needed Docker images to the RPi4 by installing the Hass Add-on called Portainer. This is a management add-on for Docker images.

Secondly you will need to enable Docker Images to have access to the USB port of the RPi4. There should be some information on the web for this. This was a step that I did not know at the time and ended up using a dedicated OrangePi Zero for my inverter when I moved Home Assistant onto a virtual machine in my main server.

I’m running Raspberry Pi OS and have Portainer installed. What I don’t know how to do is once I have the container in Docker/Portainer, how do I find and modify the necessary configuration files when Raspberry Pi OS doesn’t work quite the same as Raspbian.

I’ve managed to get this running, I think (RPi4, Debian, Supervised HA install, Portainer stand alone to manage docker, not the HA plug in).

I can add entities the to dashboard, but they never have any value, always unknown. I assume that means the container is running correctly and talking to the MQTT broker at least?

When I try and query the inverter I am getting nothing back at all.

docker exec -it voltronic-mqtt bash -c ‘/opt/inverter-cli/bin/inverter_poller -d -1’

Fri Nov 5 03:21:51 2021 INVERTER: Debug set
Fri Nov 5 03:21:51 2021 INVERTER: Current CRC: 49 C1
Fri Nov 5 03:21:54 2021 INVERTER: QMOD read timeout
Fri Nov 5 03:21:54 2021 INVERTER: QMOD reply too short (0 bytes)
Fri Nov 5 03:21:54 2021 INVERTER: Current CRC: B7 A9
Fri Nov 5 03:21:57 2021 INVERTER: QPIGS read timeout
Fri Nov 5 03:21:57 2021 INVERTER: QPIGS reply too short (0 bytes)
Fri Nov 5 03:21:57 2021 INVERTER: Current CRC: F8 54
Fri Nov 5 03:22:00 2021 INVERTER: QPIRI read timeout
Fri Nov 5 03:22:00 2021 INVERTER: QPIRI reply too short (0 bytes)
Fri Nov 5 03:22:00 2021 INVERTER: Current CRC: B4 DA

I grabbed tio also and it says connected but I never seen any send/receive when checking statistics.

I did just grab a $10 usb/serial converter off eBay, is it worth be grabbing a better one?

What else can I check to confirm that’s the issue.

In Portainer you are able to open a console for the inverter docker image and install a text editor. From there you will be able to get to the folders with the settings files you need to change.

Looks like you need to play with your QPIRI and QPIGS settings in the config.

To what though? I have MPP7248/Voltronic 7.2

Everything else I’ve seen that implies change those settings is when people are getting replies from the inverter, I am getting zero bytes.

I also see 0 bytes received from within tio if I try and connect to the interface, implying to me there’s 0 data flowing across the link, either because the adaptor is dead/shit or the inverter is not outputting anything in the port (I rebooted the inverter just in case).

Are there any changes required to device ID in mqtt.json?

It was already populated, so i left it.

It is possible that the inverter you have is using a completely different communication protocol. In this case I doubt this project will work for you.

Mmm its a voltronic based inverter as pictured in the images at the start, just like all the others.

I have problem with run this in docker on raspberry pi 2/3. After run i get that errors:

sudo docker logs voltronic-mqtt -f
jq: error while loading shared libraries: libjq.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
jq: error while loading shared libraries: libjq.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
mosquitto_sub: error while loading shared libraries: libmosquitto.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Maybe someone had similar issue?

Got it. Thanks! I’m now able to get data into HA! Woo!

From your suggestions I started the console in the container and was able to install nano and edit the inverter.conf and mqtt.json files. For anyone looking for them they’re in /etc/inverter (up a folder from where it places you in opt).

I think the big issue I’d been having was how I deployed the container. I tried via ssh, but there was no docker-compose installed on Raspberry Pi OS, and when I tried apt-get, that also wasn’t there. So I tried copying the docker-compose.yaml file into Portainer stacks. But that kept erroring out too, with issues with the volume and devices not being found.

The success I’ve had so far is just adding a container and copying the image link and manually replicating the docker-compose in Portainer. Removing /dev/ttyUSB0 and adding /dev/hidraw0 to my device list seemed to help. I still can’t get the ./config:/etc/inverter volume to work, it wants absolute paths and I think there’s also permission issues.

But, data from the inverter has got to HA, so that’s a huge step forward after banging my head into this for a few days.

I installed Portainer separately after running into an error, could that be the cause of what seems like permission errors?

Hi.
Anyone managed to get an axpert 5k working with rs232-ttl with esphome?
Ive tried to make 2 rj45-ttl adapters using the micro rs232-ttl converters. but just keep getting the following error

[13:13:40][D][pipsolar:757]: timeout command to poll: QPIRI
[13:13:40][D][pipsolar:840]: Sending polling command : QPIRI with length 5

Im presuming there is an issue with the cable.
I’ve followed the cable pinouts from here

HI! I was wondering if you could use this same code to connect to an ACUVIM Power meter?

WOuld this work if i install HA using a virtual machine?

I can help a little here.

I could not get this to work when running HA in the preferred setup under HassOS.

I ended up doing a fresh install of Debian on my Pi then running a supervised installed of HA in docker on that and this project in its own docker.

This project appears to be running, as I can see entities for inverter info in HA, but there’s no data for me yet (as I chase a different issue with communication with the inverter).

Note that by standing this up in docker alongside HA, that makes my HA install “unhealthy” and unsupported. I have had to stop this stack to update HA core when updates are available, but otherwise it seems fine. It was a fair bit more work than just running HassOS though, but I haven’t touched Linux in 20yrs,

Replaced my usb/rs232 and now I have data flow (and working with the windows app)

But now I am trying to determine what values for the various settings.