Proxmox 8 + Frigate + Google Coral (not compatible)

Hi all,

just a heads-up for those who are running proxmox and would like to upgrade to the latest version. Do not do it if you are running frigate. Why? at this moment google pycoral did not support Python 3.11. I have to learn the hard way and currently downgrade my proxmox.

Anyone who knows how to solve it please share your way. Thanks

1 Like

How are you passing Coral though to the VM? The Proxmox upgrade shouldn’t have had an impact on the Frigate VM?

1 Like

since the google TPU driver did not install correctly on python 3.11, the passthrough somehow will not work at all. So again I’m not sure

1 Like

This is wrong, frigate runs in a docker container which has python 3.9 so the version of python inside the host OS or VM is entirely irrelevant.

2 Likes

Well after proxmox upgrade to version 8. My frigate fails to call upon the pass-through and receives an error. LXC somehow fail. So any help will be appreciated

P.S. I downgrade proxmox back to ver 7 and it work without any problem

No logs? That means no issue.

sorry I forget to capture the logs since I reverse my proxmox back to 7

I have seen another user for whom passthrough didn’t seem to work on proxmox 8 after updating. Restored image back to new ProxMox 8.02 Hypervisor MQTT broker stopped working

I wonder if something requires re-setting? ie set up the passthrough again??

I will try it on my temporary machine and will let u know. As of now, HA is the primary system at my home. If it dead the entire day Wifey will 100% get pissed hahahahaha…

1 Like

Thanks very much…i did try removing the sonoff then adding it back in…strangely the original dongle (a Sonoff -E model) comes up in the usb passthrough but isnt identified whereas the Sonoff oplus ( i get mixed up with the model numbers) can be read in the passthrough…ie proxmox sees it…just an observation…

My current theory is to use the “plus” dongle as i managed to get the firmware up to date on that (2023 date on it) and then maybe try to reconfigure it (almost start from scratch) - to see if i can get it working…

Going to try updating the firmware on the older one tonight…for some inexplicable reason i cant ever get them into bootloader mode and have to do it using Python.

Hi

you need to create a new Debian 12 container with Docker/Portainer.

Run this script in host shell.
bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/ct/docker.sh)”

Edit your new container from host shell.
nano /etc/pve/lxc/xxx.conf

Delete everything below “swap: xxx”

Add this below “swap: xxx”

lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 226:128 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 29:0 rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 189:* rwm
lxc.apparmor.profile: unconfined
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: a
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/dri/renderD128 dev/dri/renderD128 none bind,optional,create=file 0, 0
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/bus/usb/002 dev/bus/usb/002 none bind,optional,create=dir 0, 0
lxc.cap.drop:
lxc.mount.auto: cgroup:rw

Save file. Reboot host, not just vm.

Add the local folders and config.yml in your new container, deploy stack from Portainer.

1 Like

If you find something else to fix without downgrading proxmox i would appreciate.

Have you tried the post immediately prior to yours?

Also Google Coral USB + Frigate + PROXMOX - #115 by pingme

I just can’t install python3-pycoral because of dependencies and can’t downgrade.

you don’t need to install that for frigate

1 Like

But i need to detect google coral USB.

The USB device is detected as soon as it’s plugged in. The coral driver is stored internally for the USB based coral. All the plugins necessary are inside the frigate container already.

1 Like

But i think i have an issue since i can only see:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1a6e:089a Global Unichip Corp.

And not related to Google.
Also, i’m running Ubuntu 22.04 in the container. But probably i should recheck my config, since you’re saying that should be trivial.

Well…

It was a rest solution.

Inserted again TPU and found:

frigate.detectors.plugins.edgetpu_tfl INFO : TPU found

:smiley:

Thank you

1 Like

Just wanted to say this worked perfect for me.

I’ve got Proxmox VE 8.0.3 with a usb coral (Fresh install as I am new to proxmox). I’m just using Frigate now in lxc without HA.

After I ran through all the steps (including reboot), my coral looked like this on both pve host and lxc:

root@pve:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1a6e:089a Global Unichip Corp.

Only after I started Frigate it got recognized as Google inc and device id changed

root@pve:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 18d1:9302 Google Inc. 

I did not have to install any coral drivers/runtime or anything special.

Thanks so much!

3 Likes