PSA: MQTT Name changes in 2023.8

I just want to check something here, since I’m finally about to address the singleton warning I’ve been ignoring since this HA release. The HA Tasmota integration docs state:

• Tasmota devices flashed with version 9.2, or later (tasmota-lite.bin does not support this integration).

Are you saying you’re using devices running Tasmota newer than 9.2, but not any lite versions? I’ve upgraded my device to Tasmota v13.3.0.3 (lite). The device is a Sonoff Basic, so I suppose I can run another suitable firmware variant.

I’ve never knowingly touched a lite version (intermediate upgrade?), so that’s a question for the Tasmota team, sorry :man_shrugging:.

What I do know is in the post above (which I had to search for after 6 months…).

Release notes for v9.4.0 include:

• Tasmota discovery as alternative to Home Assistant discovery using define USE_TASMOTA_DISCOVERY

Release notes for v12.0.2 include:

• Prepare to remove dedicated Home Assistant discovery in favour of Tasmota Discovery and hatasmota

Tasmota discovery works a whole lot better with HASS with HASS discovery, not least as units are supported for long-term statistics. Just set Device Name (hardware device or blank) differently than Friendly Name (thing controlled).

Thanks!

That would usually be the minimal version (not the lite version).

I’ll just replace the Sonoff with a Shelly. It simplifies my setup, since this is my only Sonoff device.

I’m running Tasmota on my only Shelly - for exactly the reverse reason! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, right! :grinning:

Hello

I installed update 2024.2.1 today. Now it shows me all the MQTT names twice, like in this print screen e.g. EC EC. This wasn’t the case before and it simply displayed the EC temperature. Does anyone else have this problem? The problem also exists with update 2024.2.0.

Print-Screen

I’m now back to 2024.1.6, everything looks normal:
Screenshot 2024-02-09 144625

Is there a way to fix it?

Best
feron

Same here, what a horrific change this is, why??

For example, I have in Zigbee2MQTT a device called ’ IKEA Repeater_1’. It only exposes ‘linkquality’. Previously this was called in an entity card: ‘IKEA Repeater_1_linkquality’.
Now it’s called ‘IKEA Repeater_1 IKEA Repeater_1_linkquality’. I have no clue what is the idea behind this, but it is very annoying.

How do I fix this, can I change a setting somewhere?

The reasons are discussed in detail within this very thread.

TL;DR

More detail on why:

2 Likes

I tried to understand the messages that you linked, but in all honesty, it goes way too deep for me. I really do not understand what I am reading.

Is there perhaps some practical advice on what I should do to fix this? I use Zigbee devices and Zigbee2MQTT.
Or is it up to developers and I have to wait patiently?

No - HASS code changes have been made already, and I believe Zigbee2MQTT was updated months ago with the adjusted name mapping from Zigbee to MQTT.

Are you running the latest version?

I can’t help with practical Zigbee2MQTT advice as I only use ZHA. Try a forum search, for posts on Z2M issues.

If you have “real” MQTT devices (like Tasmota firmware or your own auto-discovery code) you need to change the name text in each device. For example, Device Name = “S26” (hardware device or blank), Friendly Name = “Kettle” (thing controlled) and you’ll likely see “S26 Kettle” in HASS.

Thanks, I think you put me on the right track: zigbee2MQTT is indeed not up to date, despite auto update being on, so I will need to remove it and re-install, I’m afraid.

Just update it

For some reason zigbee2mqtt did not see updates (never did, it seems), so I had to reinstall, and this indeed solved the issue of the naming. Thanks again for keeping things working!