Pwned password in Node RED addon

I have started getting the password security warnings today which I think is a great idea and good step forwards for security. I have got this notification message:

Insecure secrets in a0d7b954_nodered

The add-on a0d7b954_nodered uses secrets which are detected as not secure, see https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/pwned-passwords for more information.

I checked the Node RED addon documentation and it explicitly says not to change the credential_secret or it will prevent Node RED from being able to decrypt my existing credentials.

Does this mean that I am forever stuck with an insecure password in the configuration or is there something that can be done?

Thanks

1 Like

Also want to know the answer to this.

1 Like

Yep - wouldnā€™t it be good if the message will a little bit more precise - where the hell is this insecure add-on?

ā€˜The add-on a0d7b954_nodered uses secrets which are detected as not secureā€™

1 Like

You can change credential_secret:

Restart the add-on and when you open the ui you will see a prompt:

When you next hit deploy your node-red instance will use the new secret.
Any nodes which require credentials to be added will need to be reconfigured.

6 Likes

The add-on is the Node RED add-on in the supervisor, if you open up the supervisor on your console, select Node RED and go to the Configuration tab you will see an item in the configuration called credential_secret where you specified a password during setup, it is this that is insecure and has been found in the Have I Been Pwned database.

2 Likes

Thanks. This suggests that Node RED will clear existing flow credentials which also suggests to me that something will need to be re-entered, is that the case?

Iā€™m guessing if there are outside credentials, those may need to be re-entered. The connection for node-red to homeassistant is not affected. I donā€™t use node-red much. I can try a flow which uses mqtt or something else.

I donā€™t have an instance to test it on so if you could that would be great, I have all of my automations in Node RED and I really donā€™t want to break them :slight_smile:

If it just means re-entering my Mosquitto password in one configuration node then I can live with that.

Ok, I used the email node and configured that, deployed it and tested it.

I then changed the secret, restarted node-red, and can confirm that the credentials I had entered were missing after dismissing the warning. Other details about the node, smtp server etc, remained. Only the user/pass was cleared.

[edit] I added a note about that above

1 Like

Thatā€™s really helpful, thank you. It looks like it will just be the Mosquitto password that I need to update.

Great, changed credential secret got the prompt re-deployed andā€¦ now I have non working Node Red. I have a ton of stuff in there using MQTT, Pushbullet etc etc and everything says disconnected. I get the MQTT data in Home Assistant so what is now broken between HA and Node Red? There is nothing in Home Assistant or on the computer I run it on that is ā€œsensitiveā€ and having to jump through all these hoops and breaking my setup is worth keeping someone from seeing the temperature of my fish tank or status of my sprinklers. Christ.
I see now that I have to go into each node in Node Red and setup a new server connection to HA.

Ouch! I didnā€™t make the change on my system last night as it was about 10 p.m. here and I never make big changes at that time of day as I value my sleep!

Checking in my Configuration Nodes in Node RED I have 664 nodes using the connection to HA so Iā€™m definitely going to hold off until I see if there is a better way to do this.

1 Like

So I span up a test VM this afternoon and created a limited test version of my HA instance. I set it up as follows:

Home Assistant OS 5.12
Home Assistant Core 2021.3.2
Node Red add-on from Add-on store
Mosquitto add-on from Add-on store
HACS
Node Red Integration installed via HACS

My connection from HA to Node Red is configured as follows:

I changed the credential_secret in the Node Red add-on Configuration tab and restarted the add-on.

I then opened the Node Red console and got this message:

At this point all of my HA nodes were still working but the MQTT nodes had disconnected.

I opened the mqtt-broker node and re-entered the user name and password for Mosquitto and then hit the update button.

Once I had done that everything was back to normal.

I think that the Home Assistant nodes were unaffected by the credential_secret change because they do not have credentials stored in the Node Red config due to the way that the add on is built (see 1st screenshot above).

I canā€™t guarantee that anyone elseā€™s experience will be the same but hopefully this will help someone with a similar config.

edit: typos

Are you not using the node-red addon? The connection between node-red and HA should be fine if ā€œI use the node-red addonā€ is checked, which is the default.

The issue with mqtt and pushbullet etc line up with what I described above.

I had to go into each of the Node Red nodes that connected to HA and set a new server connection. Everything is back up and working and no more pwned nags. Was a chore but done.

The Insecure secrets message was seriously unhelpful.

Thank you for your postā€¦ I changed my credential_secret, redeployed, all is well!

If the credential password is changed but still visible will it not throw an error again before too long?

Until there is a clear way to fix this without re-entering all passwords, I use this very stupid automation as a way to get rid of the notification:

You can find the notification ID at Developer Options -> States.

Thankyou, this really helped me :smiley:

This is not about it being visible. Nothing to do with secrets.yaml.