Question regarding DIY chair occupancy sensor

Recently I’ve found the guide 🪑 DIY Zigbee chair occupancy sensor to build a DIY chair occupancy sensor for Zigbee.

My preferred communication protocol is Z-Wave though, so my question is basically: Did anyone try this setup with a Z-Wave door sensor? I’m eyeing the Aeotec one but I have no idea if it would work the same way and I don’t know much about the soldering stuff

All the door/window contact sensors I know of (zigbee, zwave, wifi, rf) use a magnetic reed switch. This part is very easy to identify when you take the cover off the device. So you should have no issue replicating this with a different contact sensor.

1 Like

I put a Zooz ZSE43 Tilt/Shock sensor on my office chair just for fun and it works. I actually took it of because it worked to good and was eating the battery up quick…I’m fidgety in my chair, but it does have the ability to use only one of the sensors or both.

I’m kinda fidgety too so that would be one thing to consider :smiley: Can’t find a german version for this unfortunately.

I’m probably gonna go with the door contact sensor for a simple on/off solution but thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Thats good to know, thanks! Just ordered the Aeotec sensor so I can try it with that one. And if it doesn’t work, I can still use it normally somewhere which is fine too :slight_smile:

I think I need some help identifying the part where I need to solder the cable to :smiley:
So the first picture shows the side where it connects to the counter part. On the second one the bottom side is the connecting part.

I can’t tell from those photos.

Where does the magnet align?

Take a photo of that.

The magnet aligns here where the little black box is (maybe thats the magnet?)

And here is the bottom side:

They actually make it easy for you to connect an external sensor.

See those 4 terminals at the bottom of the PCB?

It’s the 3rd and 4th ones you want.

There are holes in the case to feed the wires through too (don’t forget to do that before soldering).

Ohhh that’s really cool. You mean the 2 bottom ones on my last picture right? Not sure I’m doing that correctly, doesn’t work so far :confused:

No. There should be 4.

What model sensor did you buy?

I have the ZWA011. Can’t find a specific guide for this model but the ZWA012 which has 3 holes too

Then you have the correct connections.

Have you done this?

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 16-21-50 Door Window Sensor 7 Pro (ZWA012) with dry contact sensors

Just tried that and re-interviewed the sensor. It seems to be swapped since the entity state doesn’t change with the magnet (the LED still blinks) but the pressure sensor doesn’t work.

Maybe my soldering is too bad mh Not sure how to do it properly though :smiley:

Edit: I think it swaps the mode back automatically. When I change it, the magnet doesn’t work for a short time but the pressure sensor doesn’t work either. After a while it swaps back and the magnet works again

You can check the dry contact by shorting the two pads with a piece of wire.

Try the parameter setting method then.

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 16-43-55 Door Window Sensor 7 Pro (ZWA012) with dry contact sensors

You can check the dry contact by shorting the two pads with a piece of wire.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by that :confused:

Try the parameter setting method then.

Yeah currently trying that but as I’m using Z-Wave JS I’m looking for a way to set the parameter

The problem might be, that I don’t have the pro version of the sensor… On their user guide, Parameter 1 is not listed while it is on the pro versions guide:

Get a piece of wire or a paperclip or anything conductive and connect the two pads that you soldered to. This checks if the input is working and if your pressure sensor is a dud.

Well the problem is as I expected. Folks, be sure to read on the product you buy for those kinds of projects :smiley: Guess I’ll get the pro version then. I’m sure I’ll find a purpose for the regular one. Thanks for taking the time to help!

This was the reply from their support