Questions about new tasmota integration in 0.117.0

Noticed the announcement of the Tasmota integration in 0.117.0 and I have some questions.

I currently have several Tasmota switches in my setup but using the MQTT integration and a separate broker to blend them into Home Assistant and they’re working just fine.

If I opt to add the Tasmota integration, would I need to remove the existing MQTT integration? and is there any advantage between one and the other?

2 Likes

I was als asking myself:

If one uses Tasmota with HASS Auto Discovery for MQTT, what is it that the Tasmota Integration will provide in addition to that?

Also: The Auto Discovery for Tasmota Lights did not support smooth Scene Transitions so far, so i built my own MQTT Template Lights for Tasmota Lights to support smooth scene transitions. I had offered my MQTT Template Light code to the Tasmota developers, but they chose not to implement this for the Auto Discovery code.
Does the new Tasmota Integration support smooth Scene Transitions with Tasmota 9?

For Tasmota, the main difference is that the code supporting the Tasmota integration is much more light weight; hopefully the MQTT discovery code can be removed in the not too distant future to save some a fer kB of code space.
Currently, there is not too much difference between using the Tasmota integration and MQTT discovery functionality wise.

The main improvement currently is that light support is a little bit better:

• Less blinkning when changing color and brightness
  • Transitions are supported for lights

Unlikely. MQTT discovery is used for more than just Tasmota.

Thank you guys for the replies. This clears it up for me. I’m not currently using any RGB or dimming functions, so today I do not have a reason to make this change.

I was kind of hoping for for options to perform OTA tasmota updates to nodes from the lovelace UI. This is currently semi-manual process for me. I have scripted, but have not gotten around to writing an automation to trigger the updates.

Does that also work from transitions between scenes, i.e. ich there is a transition duration defined when switching a scene on?

I believe @emontnemery means the discovery code in Tasmota that makes the devices discoverable on the MQTT bus. That code was producing quite big objects on the bus for HASS to pic up from there to learn which devices are there and what their capabilities are.

Yeah that makes more sense.

I thought I would add my brief experiences of the new Tasmota integration to describe a couple of problems I encountered in case this is of use to others.

I have around 12 Tasmota devices which are are mostly Sonoff/Gosund smart plugs plus a Sonoff Basic, a couple of Sonoff Minis, and a few Wemos D1 Minis. I already had a notification in Integrations for the new Tasmota Integration so I decided to upgrade the Sonoff Basic to v9.0.0.3 and changed setoption19 to 0 via the console.

At first things seemed to be going well and the Sonoff Basic device was immediately discovered (the only slight difference from the MQTT Integration was that there was an additional entity for the IP address). I then noticed that around half of my other MQTT devices (most of which are at v8.5.1) had disappeared. This had the side effect of corrupting any related automations as the associated entities has been deleted from any action where they were defined.

I then removed the Tasmota integration and had to power cycle the devices a few times and setoption19 to 0/1 before they were all eventually discovered again. Finally I had to edit all the affected automations to add the missing entity_id’s back in.

I will probably retry the integration once it comes out of beta.

1 Like

I then noticed that around half of my other MQTT devices (most of which are at v8.5.1) had disappeared.

This should definitely not happen. If you have the time and energy to help with debugging that problem in an issue, it would be appreciated.

This had the side effect of corrupting any related automations as the associated entities has been deleted from any action where they were defined.

After rediscovering the devices, the automations should be working again? Or were the entitie’s entity_id different after rediscovery?

Does it work with Tasmota 9.1.0?

Edit: Found my answer reading the Imogen release notes :man_facepalming: :arrow_right: Added official Tasmota integration for Home Assistant. Still in beta

But, I need 0.117.5 which included β€œBump hatasmota to 0.0.25.1”
The problem, 0.117.5 died in Azure. It was never released! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And on the major downside all the nice status information is gone.
I see zero benefit in adding the Tasmota integration on top of MQTT and a Broker. Why would I do that when I only have switches? Add another integration for zero benefit? Nah. Pass.

2 Likes

Can you tell me why it was never released as i see it in the latest release?

Incompetence maybe? :wink: I really have no idea.

David,
the integration is still beta…
Give some time to me and Erik to make it better.
We need time to mold it and have a good solution, as I needed time to address issues and add functions to the internal MQTT discovery you are using now for Tasmota.
About the Status sensor I know it was really practical, but removing it was not our call.
Was asked a sensor for every single information and disabled by default.
There are some sensors in the work already.
ha2

1 Like

OK, I will try this again with Tasmota 9.1.0 which has just been released.

The data highlighted below was missing in the automations:

I think this might be because I tend to name my smart plugs generically in Tasmota e.g. sonoff01, sonoff02, sonoff03 etc. and then just change the firendly name in HA (mainly because plugs can be moved around and re-purposed). If however a plug becomes more permanent then I will also rename the entity_id in HA so that automations read better. So I think it looks like running discovery via the new Tasmota Integration causes existing entities to be deleted and rediscovered using the name defined in the Tasmota UI, if you have subsequently changed the entity name in HA then that will get lost.

This is something the development team has done before. The final patch version is distributed exclusively in python, for use with Home Assistant Core installations, and not repackaged in other formats like a docker container for use with Home Assistant Container, Supervised, and OS installations.

Alternatively, the final patch version is never released and folded into the next beta version.

Then why publish

Current Version: 0.117.5
Released: November 05, 2020

on the https://www.home-assistant.io/ intro page? It creates confusion.

For the best answer, you should direct your question to the people you accused of being incompetent.

Never accused anyone of being incompetent (unskilled). I did jokingly mention that β€œmaybe” the reason for it not being released was incompetence (Inability to perform).

But, your reply is duly noted. :smile: