R.I.P Hassbian

How is docker not an advantage? Lol.

You also don’t have to install Hassio or HassOS as stated about a hundred times in this and other threads…

[quote=“flamingm0e, post:113, topic:144564, full:true”]
How is docker not an advantage? Lol.[/quote]

I’m not a docker fan is all… I guess it’s a docker or venv installation then…

Which is exactly what hassbian was…

Not at all

However, as mentioned in the original article, if you want a Hassbian like experience do a venv install on Raspbian. If you follow that guide, you end up with something that’s 99% the same as Hassbian, just missing the Hassbian suites that you can install manually.

1 Like

Thank You!!! I’m just in the process of doing a reinstall using venv with that very objective… how do I install the hassbian suites at the end?

I’ve never actually installed them, having never had a need (or want). I’d assume that the answer could be found from some searching, and I found one such thread, but I’m sure there’s more.

For what it’s worth, I’m running VENV on Raspbian without any of the extra Hassbian scripts and it works great for me.

I’m using SystemD to launch HA as a service on bootup, and NodeRED in order to automate config updates and HA updates.

1 Like

can you share this code? :smiley:

It probably wouldn’t work for you, as it’s using BitBucket version control to pull my config files, and I still do a few things by hand over SSH in order to use custom components, it’s work in progress I guess.

I’m using inject nodes in order to launch commands using the ‘exec’ nodes:

And I’ve got ‘debug’ nodes connected to the outputs from the exec nodes so I can see the errors when my ‘config check’ fails!

@Tinkerer && @DrewXT the correct instructions are in the Readme here https://gitlab.com/hassbian/repository

2 Likes

Which will be the consequence for an end-user like me? May i still continue to run HA on a raspberry upgrading to the new HA releases as always?

nothing

Based on this question, it appears you haven’t read the thread, so…yes.

2 Likes

Hello guy’s, best regards from cold Poland.
When i saw information on website hassbian R.I.P. i first, I had cold swet on my back.
But when I’ve tested hass.io and many of my things like Sonoff blinds switches with espurna MQTT worked just like that in a few minutes, i thought the hass.io is new better way only, and there’s nothing to miss.
At the beginning I’ve spent many weeks to make gammu SMS sending work on hassbian. So i think as hassbian users we’ve collected huge knowledge doing everything from a scratch, but i gues sometimes we’ve tried to invent gun powder when hass.io users could just do it with one click. I don’t think Ballob is trying to say Fuck You hassbian user’s, but hassbian users, stay with us, and come with us to next level.
Best regards and I hope You will handle with hass.io
Cheers !

3 Likes

that’s because you are…

:wink:

Unfortunately we are now in a minority. Many knowledgeable HA venv users have left the stage. Not sure how HA will play out in the end but I’m sorely tempted to migrate to OpenHAB at this stage.

Why? What has changed for you? Still runs just the same in a venv.

It does indeed but the atmosphere has become too hostile.

What are you talkng about?

cant tell the future… i wish I did :grinning::grinning:
but i think obviously HASS.IO and probably (base)docker will be the longer term path.

Unfortunately we are now in a minority.

That could well be the case, but I don’t really see this as being unfortunate.

I’m happy to continue to run HA in VENV myself, and after having numerous issues with HassIO in the past I’ve found the VENV method works far better for me and my setup.

Choice and options are a good thing IMO, it doen’t really need to be ‘hassio VS venv’, or ‘us vs them’, just use what works best for you. :slight_smile:

Even if if only 1% of users use Venv, the devs use VENV to develop so I can’t see is becoming unsupported in the future, and there are no HassIO only features as far as I can see.

1 Like