R.I.P Hassbian

Which will be the consequence for an end-user like me? May i still continue to run HA on a raspberry upgrading to the new HA releases as always?

nothing

Based on this question, it appears you haven’t read the thread, so…yes.

2 Likes

Hello guy’s, best regards from cold Poland.
When i saw information on website hassbian R.I.P. i first, I had cold swet on my back.
But when I’ve tested hass.io and many of my things like Sonoff blinds switches with espurna MQTT worked just like that in a few minutes, i thought the hass.io is new better way only, and there’s nothing to miss.
At the beginning I’ve spent many weeks to make gammu SMS sending work on hassbian. So i think as hassbian users we’ve collected huge knowledge doing everything from a scratch, but i gues sometimes we’ve tried to invent gun powder when hass.io users could just do it with one click. I don’t think Ballob is trying to say Fuck You hassbian user’s, but hassbian users, stay with us, and come with us to next level.
Best regards and I hope You will handle with hass.io
Cheers !

3 Likes

that’s because you are…

:wink:

Unfortunately we are now in a minority. Many knowledgeable HA venv users have left the stage. Not sure how HA will play out in the end but I’m sorely tempted to migrate to OpenHAB at this stage.

Why? What has changed for you? Still runs just the same in a venv.

It does indeed but the atmosphere has become too hostile.

What are you talkng about?

cant tell the future… i wish I did :grinning::grinning:
but i think obviously HASS.IO and probably (base)docker will be the longer term path.

Unfortunately we are now in a minority.

That could well be the case, but I don’t really see this as being unfortunate.

I’m happy to continue to run HA in VENV myself, and after having numerous issues with HassIO in the past I’ve found the VENV method works far better for me and my setup.

Choice and options are a good thing IMO, it doen’t really need to be ‘hassio VS venv’, or ‘us vs them’, just use what works best for you. :slight_smile:

Even if if only 1% of users use Venv, the devs use VENV to develop so I can’t see is becoming unsupported in the future, and there are no HassIO only features as far as I can see.

1 Like

Correct, and because of that it will always be an option :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not at all, but you’ll tend to find that the knowledgeable venv users can fix their install if it breaks, so you won’t find them posting asking for help with that here.

Actually, scratch that, the knowledgeable X users can fix their install, whatever it is, if it breaks, so you won’t find them posting asking for help with that.

I’ve been running venv installs since I started with HA, three years ago. Now, when I started it wasn’t like there was much other choice, Hass.io didn’t exist. However, I’d still have chosen the venv install, because it suits my knowledge and skills.

It’s highly likely I’ll be running in a venv three years from now. If I’m not, it’ll be because I’ve switched to extending the stock Docker containers to suit my needs.

To some degree, there’s always going to be haters of “other” methods, because their chosen method is “better”. However, there’s no hating of venv installs by the project. As has been said, the venv is used to develop HA, it can’t go away.

You know you are on the internet, right? Hostility is almost a requirement.

That said, I’m not sure what you are talking about either. As far as internet forums go (aside from a few things that pop up very occasionally between the fan-boys & not :wink:) this forum is pretty friendly and extremely helpful.

3 Likes

I think, when constantly were some works on Hass.os it was only matter of time the hassbian support will end soon. Relly want to migrate to OpenHAB, to start everything from the beginning, writing all automations and scripts from the scratch ? In my case have few commandline scripts like sending SMS by USB Modem with gammu, and when i started even couldn’t imagine it will work and now it’s working. Of course it’s a chame hassbian died but i understand it’s hard for everyone to support few simmilar projects. Just think, how many time will you spend for making some changes to Your configuration work on Hass.OS ? two weeks ? How many time You will spend to knew OpenHAB as good as You knew Home Assistant ? Im sitting on it everyday many hours, and i think I’ll took a reward because I will be able to use Node Red, espHome, all that wonderfull addons that didn’t worked for me before because it was to hard for me to integrate it with home assistant on hassbian.
Best regards and don’t give UP !!!

About 15 minutes…tops? You can easily convert to hassio unless you have a LOT of things that rely on the underlying Raspbian, in which case, you can just KEEP USING A VENV INSTALL OF HOME ASSISTANT LIKE YOU DO EVERY DAY. Seriously, nothing actually changes there.

Node-Red is quite literally the easiest thing to add to any Home Assistant setup.

1 Like

We just keep saying it over and over and (and now LOUDER) but nobody ever seems to listen…

1 Like

I don’t know, I still not sure… I’ve only seen this about 100 times in this thread but I wanted to be sure…

So what you guys are saying is

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Sorry I can’t help but be a sarcastic A$$ sometimes (ok most of the time))

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why people can’t get it through their heads. Lol. It’s mind boggling.

Hello,

for every hassbian users I’ve made some tutorial how to install Hass.IO to work very simmilar as hassbian, it’s booting from USB SSD and commandline script’s work’s !

1 Like

Any docs/howto’s for VENV installs ? I want to stay away from docker and use raspbian at the very least still.