R.I.P Hassbian

It’s a completely separate container. It keeps running even when Hass.io isn’t ‘up’. You can see it’s running in Portainer etc. All the containers (hass.io addons are containers) run independently of Home Assistant.

1 Like

As others have pointed out. It is a separate container. I can ssh into the system and stop/start/backup/restore, etc HA independant of the state of the HomeAssistant container. I also have access to the config files and can make changes or corrections.

1 Like

In other words if ssh is not working, there is more wrong with your system than the home assistant container.

2 Likes

well, that’s good info to know.

I don’t use hassio so i was just going by others reports on things they (…thought…) they were experiencing.

Well thanks to everyone for clearing up my misunderstanding. There obviously was something else wrong. When I went back to Hassbian I was up and running in minutes.

2 Likes

It’s possible HassIO supervisor did an autoupdate that broke SSH access.

This happened to me a while ago and it overwritten my network DNS settings leaving my HassIO machine inaccessable.

I found there was no way to turn hassio auto-update off, but even if HA is restarting or stopped you should be able to SSH in if HassIO has network access in theory.

As a VENV happy camper I am relieved to see that VENV mode will be supported forever more - however this blog initially raised my eyebrows because I am also a Hassbian-script user and initially thought that must mean I am a ‘Hassbian’ user… I see that’s not the case, but my journey must be a common one so here’s my situation: from a wife-acceptance POV the household RaspberryPi is being used as a mission-critical DVR using tvheadend - wouldn’t want to miss a recording of a favorite show, or have the home entertainment system become unresponsive… As many of us know last Christmas was a turning point: suddenly Logitech Harmony hub stopped working, which opened my eyes that Logitech was pushing firmware without asking first, and was now preventing point-to-point ip control of the hubs in the name of security! Luckily Logitech capitulated - but during those few days of drama I found Home Assistant - hooray for HA and this incredible community! Since then Home Assistant has infiltrated the house - security cam dashboards, location monitoring, energy usage monitoring, you name it. However there were bumps in the road - like when Owntracks broke - turned out HA Python libraries were being compiled on Buster when I was still on Stretch. I was in a dilemma - upgrade the mission-critical Pi to Buster before tvheadend was available in the apt repository? Follow the blog option 2 advice to install/use hassbian-scripts to upgrade Stretch Python 3.5 to 3.7 (which was unrelated to a GLIBC dependency issue anyway)? Fortunately upgrading to both Buster and Hassbian scripts went smoothly, but now I see a couple of things - 1) Docker would probably have helped avoid conflicting OS requirements - but then again 2) many of us need full control of the Pi ecosystem (Caddy reverse proxy, MQTT broker, Avahi services for airprint-across-subnets etc). Just hoping the ‘appliance’ and ‘cloud’ directions HA is now taking doesn’t forget that (and at the same time - hooray for HA! Long live HA!)

3 Likes

is the Hassbian installer already defunct?

I had to reinstall my test HA (don’t ask - SD card failure), and it just won’t install a base image. I really don’t want to go to HASSOS as I like being able to poke around in the OS

A noted in a previous post, install Raspbian/Ubuntu/Debian (machine dependent) and install Hass.io using the generic install method. You still have full OS control, can install other software as you could with Hassbian, etc.

Advantage is you will then have a Docker install and full access to the Hass.io add-ons and plug-ins.

Thanks, I guess I’m going to have to go down that path then …

I don’t really call having Docker an advantage :roll_eyes:

How is docker not an advantage? Lol.

You also don’t have to install Hassio or HassOS as stated about a hundred times in this and other threads…

[quote=“flamingm0e, post:113, topic:144564, full:true”]
How is docker not an advantage? Lol.[/quote]

I’m not a docker fan is all… I guess it’s a docker or venv installation then…

Which is exactly what hassbian was…

Not at all

However, as mentioned in the original article, if you want a Hassbian like experience do a venv install on Raspbian. If you follow that guide, you end up with something that’s 99% the same as Hassbian, just missing the Hassbian suites that you can install manually.

1 Like

Thank You!!! I’m just in the process of doing a reinstall using venv with that very objective… how do I install the hassbian suites at the end?

I’ve never actually installed them, having never had a need (or want). I’d assume that the answer could be found from some searching, and I found one such thread, but I’m sure there’s more.

For what it’s worth, I’m running VENV on Raspbian without any of the extra Hassbian scripts and it works great for me.

I’m using SystemD to launch HA as a service on bootup, and NodeRED in order to automate config updates and HA updates.

1 Like

can you share this code? :smiley:

It probably wouldn’t work for you, as it’s using BitBucket version control to pull my config files, and I still do a few things by hand over SSH in order to use custom components, it’s work in progress I guess.

I’m using inject nodes in order to launch commands using the ‘exec’ nodes:

And I’ve got ‘debug’ nodes connected to the outputs from the exec nodes so I can see the errors when my ‘config check’ fails!

@Tinkerer && @DrewXT the correct instructions are in the Readme here https://gitlab.com/hassbian/repository

2 Likes