Radiator valves

Hello everyone.

Need advice to purchase thermostatic valves (radiator valves) that are compatible with Home Assistant.

I am a beginner and made a few mistakes already due to not paying attention in the compatibility and purchased some hardware that is not compatible and I would like to be sure with what works before I purchase. Here is my hardware:

Smart Plugs: IQTech: work very well via Tuya integration: iQtech SmartLife WS020, WiFi zásuvka, 16 A - Smart zásuvka | alza.sk and ShieldSquare Captcha

LED strip controller: no name but compatible via the flux led: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B08T64NR4G/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bulbs: woox: works via Tuya
ShieldSquare Captcha

I also purchased a door sensor that is compatible with Tuja but not recognized by Home assistant: ShieldSquare Captcha

I have a ZigBee gateway from Sonoff that works with sonoff integration from HACS: ShieldSquare Captcha

I did purchase a ZigBee bulb thinking that it will work but it was recognized only as a switch and not a light meaning that I cannot select color: LED žiarovka Flair ViYu E27 9,5W/60W 806lm 1800, 6500K v Eshope HORNBACH.sk

What I am looking for is for radiator valves that work with home assistant. I have found some Tuya valves but I think that they will not be recognized like my door sensor. If I can find some that are compatible with my ZigBee bridge I would be happy. If not, please suggest brand and also gateway!

Thank you very much

What’s your setup. Have you got Bluetooth as well as wifi?

My guess is the sonof gateway is the main limitation. If I’m not mistaken, this gateway may be flashed to act as zigbee coordinator only. You can also use other coordinator.
Then using zda or zigbee2mqtt likely all devices would work as expected.

Hello Spiro,

No Bluetooth, only wifi and ZigBee with the sonoff.

Using zda or Zigbee2mqtt means that I need to flash the sonoff gateway with tasmota right? Could you suggest any other coordinator?

Alternative if you have mains supply a sonoff Mini controlling radiator actuator setup as a switch in generic thermostat. You need to use external temperature sensor to control. Good answer for radiators in covers or out of sight. No bridge needed

Hi Maxym,

I just purchased this USB to TTL converter to flash my Sonoff ZB Bridge with Tasmota: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075XK737D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will use this guide: How to use the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge with Home Assistant - Tasmota

Hopefully, after flashing i will extend my options in terms of hardware. I am looking at these valves: Immax NEO Smart Termostatická hlavica Zigbee 3.0 - Termostatická hlavica | Alza.sk

Thanks

This TRV seems to be supported by Zigbee2mqtt (see Immax 07703L control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT)
I suggest however to look at alliexpress in order to find this model way cheaper (might be hard since there are hundreds of newer models). The only advantage of buying in local shops (often the same as china ver but rebranded) is warranty.

I’m very happy with my Danfoss Ally TRVs. I got 5 of them and they work great with HA through Zigbee and the ZHA integration.

Things I have setup through scripting and automation:

• Target temp sync
    I have a common room, with 3 radiators in them, so if I turn the dial and change the target temperature of 1 of them, the 2 others will mirror that setting
  • Open window or door detection
    It is possible to enable it to automatically detect sudden drops in temperature, but I find an automation that triggers by a window sensor much more reliable
  • Adhering to external thermometer
    TRVs are notorious for showing too high temperatures on the onboard sensor, as they are located right next to the heating source, I have set it up, so it partly follows an Aqara thermometer that is placed away from the radiator. Makes the temperature of the room much reliable.
2 Likes

What’s your settings for getting it to partly follow the external thermometer?

Hello! Are you speaking about these ones?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B08DRCVDG4/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks that helps a lot… I hope they can work with the flashed Sonoff ZB Bridge!

Yes, that would be them!

Here’s the code :slight_smile:

#scripts.yaml
bathroom_temp_follow:
  alias: Bathroom Temp Follow
  sequence:
  - service: zha.set_zigbee_cluster_attribute
    data:
      ieee: 84:2e:14:ff:fe:5e:41:dc #ieee of TRV
      endpoint_id: 1
      cluster_id: 513
      attribute: 16405
      cluster_type: in
      value: '{{ (states("sensor.bathroom_air_temperature") | float * 100) | round(0)}}'
  mode: single
#automations.yaml
- id: '1612470219876'
  alias: TEM01 - Update External Temp - Bathroom
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.bathroom_air_temperature
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: script.bathroom_temp_follow
    data: {}
  mode: queued
  max: 10
1 Like

Hi @michaelkrtikos, have you tried the Immax valves yet?

Hello,

I have purchased a Danfoss in the end. I ended up needing some help to set it up and create automations but when that was done i am very satisfied with the result. Here is a thread i opened that explains how i set it up:

I hope this helps

Thank you, how about the batteries? Did you have to exchange them already, or they are still functional?
I’ve bought several Immax valves, but the batteries died after month or two, so I’m looking for some advice or comparison.

I have just gone through 2nd winter (I keep the valves turned off from middle of spring to middle of autumn), and they are all around 40% in power (got 5 Danfoss devices).

I already have rechargeable batteries ready, that I will switch to next fall.

Thank you, what is your radiator valve body?
My radiators have old Giacomini bodies installed, so I used plastic reduction when installing the valve.
Although the body is not stuck, it requires quite a force to push down the thing (close the radiator).
Not sure if it is OK, or there exist other valve bodies that can be closed more easily.
Apart from that, what batteries did you use?

I am based in Denmark and through Google I think they are called Danfoss RA-N.

But the Danfoss eTRV came with multiple adaptors. And I am using the batteries that also were supplied with the eTRV.

Ha, strange… Mine came without batteries. I have been using it from February and i have 80% battery left. I assume it will take a year to replace. However, i am not planning to shut it down in the summer because if have heard that water needs to flow in the radiator even if it is not hot water.

I needed to purchases an adapter for my Hertz valves:

@palir - for Giacomini you should use the following adapter although according to the below screenshot it is supplied in the box:

Here is the document: https://www.elektrika.lv/att/documents/0/32/195.pdf