Random "Google Assistant unable to reach Home Assistant Cloud by Nabu Casa"

There has been almost a month since I updated my access points, and I still haven´t heard the error one single time.

As I saw some of you said your network is much better than mine and still presenting the error I started to analyze what else I changed and I think I might be on to something. You see: When I configured my Deco devices I lost ipv6 to WAN, so I disabled it network wide. Today I gave a shot at reenabling it and heard the error on my google home devices. Not to mention there’s readily info out there about ipv6 networks causing Alexa to say “I couldn’t understand you right now” (Problem wich actually a friend of mine has). So maybe that’s the root of it.

Hope we find a solution that works for everyone.

1 Like

I am going to try this as well. So far looks like it makes a difference.

1 Like

Jumping in here as I have always had that since subscribing this past Sept. I’ve had state reporting disabled for months as I likely stumbled upon that as possible solution. Still get the error.

I don’t have native IPv6 from my ISP and use an HE tunnel. Has been great for years.

I just disabled it and re-synced my entities to Google and still receive the message. Checking ifconfig on my HassOS VM I only have an IPv4 address anyway. So that is likely bust.

[edit] spelling

I am having the same issue.

1 Like

Had the same issue and opened a ticket. Here’s the reply in another thread:

I also have this issue and hop it will be fixed soon since it occurs for a long time.
Each time I ask Google what is the temperature in a room for example I often have the message telling Nabucasa is not available.
I have no IPV6 on my network at all so IPV6 cannot be the issue here.
Sometimes I think about switching to the alternative to use the Google Assistant integration to see if it could fix the issue.
More work to configure but I can set up a reverse proxy after all… Even if Nabucasa is not expensive at all I feel the quality is not really good with this experience.

And it does not look like it is on the Google side, as other services I use with Google Assistant are not affected, I only have issues with Nabucasa.

I also only have issues with nabu casa and it has grown to be much more than a simple annoyance. Google Home responds to requests with ease for other services and is otherwise an excellent front-end for non-ha integrations.

This needs top priority from the folks from NC/HA.

It’s worth disabling IPV6 in the HA host settings. It’s an easy thing to disable and has been fixing the issue for many people who are also not using IPV6 on their network.

2 Likes

Well that works - so far :).

Thanks Dave - let’s hope it sticks.

1 Like

I should have precised I use Home Assistant as a docker container on a Odroid N2+.
But thanks for the clarification, I tried even if I don’t use a VM, unfortunately without success. I still have errors with Google Assistant as Nabucasa not reachable or “Cannot establish connection with Home Assistant by Nabucasa”.
No network issue on my side, it is really only Nabucasa.

It looks like this solution only apply to Home Assistant OS or more generaly with virtual machines.

That being said, we should not have to disable IPV6 for Nabucasa, especially on networks which don’t use it. It really means there is a problem on Nabucasa side.
It is a workaround which should not exist for a long time as it is the case.

When observing this more deeply, it looks like I encounter this kind of issue more frequently with my thermometers and hygrometers I get their temperature using ESPHome.
Two ESP32 get temperatures and hydrometry of my meters and set entities Home Assistant get value from.

Are there integrations where it is more observed?

Same issue here, intermittently receiving exact error message. Tried reboots, disconnect and reconnect, still happens intermittently.

Let’s hope the Nabu Casa update resolves it.

1 Like

Received this reply from Nabu Casa support today.

We are re-writing the relayer which handles the communication between your instance and Amazon/Google and this is expected to be a large improvement over the current implementation. There should be much less latency and CPU usage on the backend and should be up between now and February.

After that is tested and deployed, we will then be adding region specific relayer instances which should further improve the situation.

You could try deleting hidden files such as the cloud file in your .storage directory and recreating your exposed devices, etc, but I’ve found that none of this helps in the long run. It may improve at first but the “device not responding” or “unable to reach…” responses will again creep back in. We have simply gotten to a point where we have many more users than when the service began and the same old resources and we need to make changes.

Thanks for your patience!

5 Likes

Thanks for the info.
Wifey gets quite frustrated about this

The update is done and deployed according to this comment on Github

The difference is more than notable, after some tests I observe same performances than other services connected to Google Assistant.

2 Likes

DId something get fixed? I dont see the error anymore!

Yes. They deployed the fix. More info in the link above your post. Here also the issues disappeared.

yes, i read the thread! This is a huge game changer! My HA was almost unusable as it was jamming up the nest hubs.