Raspberry Pi 4, Home Assistant OS (5.5, dev version) on a SSD, and the Argon One M.2 Case (In Progress)

Ok wow, not even a block device…
Maybe a silly question, but have you disconnected the SSD from the adapter and then reinstalled it? It would also be good to take a look at the pins in the connector on the adapter, in the slot the SSD connects to. If you have a flashlight, shine that into the port to make it easier to see if there is any bent metal in there, even a single pin bent out of place could stop it all working…

Yeah, no kidding. Looking now.

No bent pins everything looks fine.

And when I reseated it. It’s showing up… after the 50th time.

Hmmm, so odd. Then again, the number of times reseating something that looks solidly connected has fixed something at work is tremendous, so I’ll take the win haha.

Maybe worth testing if it can run at full power before going to far with the setup. Format it to a single blank file system, preferably ext4 or exfat, and then run

yes > /media/ssd/file1

In four different terminal tabs, changing the number on the end for each one.

This is assuming you mounted the ssd’s filesystem to /media/ssd, so make sure you change that as appropriate, otherwise you’ll fill up your boot drive (the SD Card) and have to reimage it.

After running them for 15 minutes, hit ctrl+c for each, and if the SSD is still mounted and visible in lsblk, then it should be fine and ready to image with HassOS :blush:

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I am about to start this build and will follow the guidance.
Just wondering if there is any benefit of doing a supervisor install in a docker? And whether this would still work with the hardware?

It should still work on the same hardware, but installing in supervised requires more effort to keep your host operating system (Debian) on the right software versions etc.

I chose to use Home Assistant Operating System just so I could focus on making the devices themselves work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What a brilliant guide, great job. I am totally up and running with this fantastic hardware.

My Linux experience is fairly low, you have explained the details for someone at my level, which was appreciated.

I have one bit of feedback if you end up doing an update.

I got a bit lost when you refer to other guides. You have referenced the other guides, but also listed some of those steps in your guide, so there was some duplication. I wasn’t sure whether I had to follow the other guide as well as the bits you borrowed. I worked it out in the end.

Well done, what a magnificent contribution.

1 Like

I’ll remember this for my re-write, whenever my next Pi gets here :stuck_out_tongue: just want one I can blow away and describe a clean setup now that it isn’t a developer build anymore

My hearing isn’t that great but I have to put the argon case right up to my ear to hear any fan noise at all. Is that normal or is there something wrong with my fan?

This isn’t good. After installing the pi4 in the argon one case all was well. I then setup and configured the fan and everything went as described in this thread. What bothered me was once the pi temperature sensor was configured it showed 97 degrees and to hear the fan I had to put the case right up to my ear. So I shut it down, opened it up to check the physical install but when I restarted I have nothing. Strange because the IP shows and I can ping it but HA won’t run and I cannot ssh to the pi.
So is 97 degrees too how? Did I fry the ssd? Any thoughts on how I can get it back?

I doubt it was 97C? Maybe 97F? If F it is running cool. Never seen mine above 46C.

Is the default temperature in Fahrenheit? I assumed it was Celcius.

It depends on how you are seeing it. My settings US shows most of my temps as F, but some show as C. It can change depending on the integration, template, etc. My pi shows in C (44).

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I can’t get back in to determine what it is.

I don’t think the pi can get to 97 C. The pi 4 should throttle down at 80C.

Ok. Not sure how this happened. I managed to get back in using the rpiOS SD img that was such a good idea thank you. I found that most of the files I created in the ‘fan hack’ process were gone. So I went back and retraced the steps in the process and all is good for now. It turns out my temperature readings were in fahrenheit so 97 degrees is alright?

Very good, only 36 C

I’m glad you got it all working ok in the end, good work!
I’m jealous of your temps, mine hangs about 45C :joy::sob:

All working fine until today. Now has become unstable. First I was unable to install an addon so I decided to update the supervisor as it was suspect in the log but it would not update and then it crashed. So, ok, get the screwdriver out, put the raspberrypi SD back in to check the ssd. The pi launches alright but when I check the files I see that …/hassboot is empty. Then when I plug the ssd in Putty crashes. Is the ssd toast or is there another explanation?

Rpi4 4gb 128GB M.2 Kingshark SSD