Raspberry Pi 4, Home Assistant OS (5.5, dev version) on a SSD, and the Argon One M.2 Case (In Progress)

Did you take a snapshot prior to updating? If so, try restoring it prior to doing anything else.

I did take a snapshot but now it won’t boot at all and it doesn’t show up on the network. This is a new install so not much on it.

Do you have the snapshot saved on google drive or somewhere other than your pi? If so, reinstall HA and restore snapshot. Fairly easy. SSD maybe corrupt or something else. How old is SSD?

Problem is HA boots from the ssd and it is not responding. I guess I will have to go back and reinstall HA on the ssd from scratch but I can’t figure out why this has happened. This is a new install so the ssd is new…just past the return date :joy:

If it is booting from the SSD, you maybe having a different issue. Look at

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/1119

Your issue maybe related to controller, or config.txt file. I and many others have freeze issues with the SSD boot. Others have boot failure. What controller are you using?

I checked the github, thanks for that, and my take from that is that others are having similar problems with 5.5 so are going back to 5.4 with good results so I think I will try that.

@FreelancerJ, nice writeup! Seen the level of your work, did you consider to run HA in Docker? Maybe for that next RPi you’re going to set up. This is relatively easy to do when using the IOTstack setup. Graham Garner did all the heavy lifting and provided a nice menu and some scripts that will do the initial setup, backups etc. It is well documented, with an active Discord Forum for support if needed.

Andreas Spiess made interesting videos on RPi 4 USB boot and RPi with Docker/IOTstack that is worth watching.
(NOTE: Whatever you do, don’t bother to buy a SSD from KingSpec. It lasted a full three months before it crapped out on me.)

I previously ran Supervised on Debian, so I could more closely watch to background operating to understand what was going on under the hood. Mixed results on how that went but some useful learns from it.

I went HAOS now as I’m making it more integrated into my apartment, which means the less maintenance needed the better. Being able to update everything down to the kernel through the web UI is a big plus there for once I’m not around anymore.
That and the raos updater, which does the OS updates in a second partition and reboots back to the original of boot times out. :joy:

So ideally if I move out, it can stay here with control over the lights, fans and AC, and logging the power usage for the place, and whoever moves in can ignore it and control everything the manual way, or connect to it for homekit/google home, or go full home-assistant user and run with it, but won’t need to know anything about Linux to do so properly

I might take a peek in a bit, just to see what’s out there :blush:

Going back to 5.4 did not work so have since re-installed current version 5.11 and it is working but very unstable. Frequent freezes and wifi disconnects. One thing that seems strange is in the home-assistant_v2.db file. Empty except:

```‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xf2 in position 27: invalid continuation byte````

Does this mean nothing is being written to the database? Does this indicate the ssd is not writeable?

This install is rpi4 4g 128g Kingshark ssd in argonone m.2 case HassOS all current stable versions

Just had to add this comment to this guide. With much trepidation, I went and bought the Argon One m.2 case, Rpi 4, 4Gb, 128Gb SSD based on the recommendation in this guide. I then followed it step-by-step and, apart from some minor glitches along the way caused by my own inexperience, it is now working beautifully. So fast and so much capacity to add stuff. It is a pleasure to use. So, many thanks FreelancerJ.

How’s the stability issue? Have you resolved it?

Yes. Very stable now. Not sure what happened. Operator error I think. I tried installing 15.4 on someone’s advice which didn’t work so I went back to your guide and retraced the steps and, voila, perfect. It has been running solid for a couple of weeks during which I have been adding lots of addons and integrations without issue and so fast! thanks to you again. Great guide.

Any thought on how to get this to work with NVMe drives?

You are limited to Sata III M.2 drives because of the USB 3 connector. You could use a NvMe drive I think, but you wont get the advertised speeds of NvMe. You are limited to Sata III speeds.

The Pi OS (Rasberian) will run (and boot) from an NVMe drive in the USB3 port. USB3 -> NVMe adapters are not hard to get now.

But when I load the HASSio image on to the NVMe drive its a no go… The HASSio image produces 4 (small) partitions on the NVMe drive. 3 are “readable” by the Rasberry OS one is some odd format that the OS can’t “mount”

I have tried every possible scratch “installation” combo… I even tried to use Linux to copy my working HA SATA Drive implementation to a blank NVMe drive. And it reports that one of the HASSio partitions is not readable…

I was previously running using a NVMe SSD over USB3, but the performance different between a SATA3 and NVMe SSD through the Pi 4’s USB3 port is negligible.
About 100MB/s sequential read/write difference, so it’s not noticeable in terms of boot time or day to day functionality.
I ran the same drive and enclosure through my desktop for a peak sequential RW of 600MB/s better than on the Pi, so pretty confident the Pi is the bottleneck.

So you can boot and operate with a NVMe drive and a Pi4 using the same steps above, but it’s not worth buying a NVMe drive just for that over a SATA 3 one. If you already have one though it’ll work like a charm :blush:

OK I’ll try again… with the smaller block size… Not so much worried about performance (though my NVMe drive copied the image in almost half the time that you reported above :wink: But then yours works and mine is a paper weight…

One more time with feeling! lets hope the 8th time is the charm.

Nope… But now I can report on what I get on the NVMe drive. 8 Partitions
hassos-data
hassos-overlay
hassos-kernel
And the unreadable partition… with the error:
“Error mounting /dev/sda3 at /media/pi/disk: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error”

And a bunch of other unnamed partitions.

WIth the 1M Block size it is much slower

Still no luck with NVMe drives

Did you get HASSio to boot from an NVMe drive? or just the M2 SATA… ?

The plot thickens… based on some other folk who are almost as frustrated as me… I moved the NVMe drive from the USB3 port to a USB2 port on the Pi… And suddenly the sucker boots!

There is clearly some sort of weird OS bug in HASSio where it will boot to SATA on USB3… But will only Boot to NVMe on USB2.