Raspberry Pi 4, Home Assistant OS (5.5, dev version) on a SSD, and the Argon One M.2 Case (In Progress)

Does it? I thought the ASMedia controller was OK? So Argon are selling a faulty product?

I’m testing with a reduced over clock and I will test with the Coral in USB2, should reduce the peak power to 500mA over an extended time. I’ve also found another SSD with a reduced peak power which I will get.

The ASMedia controller the Argon One uses is fine on the UAS side of things, I spent quite a while working that out before I bought it as I had been burned by incorrect UAS implementation in controllers before and didn’t want to be buggering around with that again :joy:

I did have similar issues early on when I had both the Argon One’s SSD and a USB>NVMe ssd connected at the same time. Would run fine initially but when I pushed the load a little on the NVMe both the SSDs would drop out and then reconnect. I popped a USB cable with a amperage and voltage readout display between the Pi and each SSD and found the NVMe was just bumping too high an amperage when under load, so for the remainder of the time I needed both of them I threw a powered USB hub in the middle and it was fine.

Setting the OS on the SD card and using the SSD as the data partition is a good idea, it should definitely reduce the peaks of your SSD, though if anything writes something big like a video output then it might still drop…

Be interested to see what SSD you can find with lower peak power, I haven’t seen one below 600ma before. It’s been a while since I went looking with power in mind though.

I’ll see if I can find out what power draw the ASMedia chip has for you, in the meantime

1 Like

Hey @FreelancerJ thanks for your info! I’ve been researching a lot of USB SATA enclosures and I’ve been through a LOT of Amazon returns :smile: The consensus was positive with ASMedia devices and I was excited to see ARForty had developed the m.2 case as it was exactly what I was looking for.

You’re right about still having issues even booting off SD. I haven’t gone through the logs yet but it seems the device will disconnect after a while and not recover until a system reboot is performed. I’m guessing it’s not mounting again or gets into an error state.

I’ll be ordering a Kingston A400 tomorrow as according to the spec it tops out at 1.5w instead of 2.2w like the WD drives. That’s 450mA which should bring me under the 1.5A max. Fingers crossed! I also want to do some comparisons with Raspberry Pi OS to see if that performs any better. I’m pretty certain it’s a power issue though.

Don’t be so certain of a power issue. One user connected to a lab 5v 50A. And it failed

:open_mouth: I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say, someone connected a 50 amp PSU to the raspberry pi?! What failed?? Did they turn the pi into a toaster! :joy:

That is not how power supplies work. Just because they are rated for 50 A, that does not mean that the Pi is drawing 50A. People keep blaming the P/S rate for 5V 3 A is not enough for the PI with an SSD. What I am saying is that this is not the issue most of the time.

That’s just it, I don’t know what you’re saying. I’m aware a device will only pull as much current as it needs but why on earth would anyone connect a 50A PSU? If the input reg fails it’s not going to be pretty. Do 5v 50A PSU’s even exist anyway!

People keep blaming the P/S rate for 5V 3 A is not enough for the PI with an SSD.

I’m not sure anyone is talking about the PSU here anyway. The Pi has a limit of 1.2A for the USB bus so if you put a 10A PSU (Let’s be reasonable!) it wouldn’t make a difference. Using a powered USB hub would as you’re bypassing that limit by supplying the current at the external hub.

So the Kingston SSD has arrived and I’m still having issues with it dropping out. :unamused: The power should come in at max 1.37A so I think the 170mA over is too much. Back to the drawing board…

I’ve hooked up a USB3 powered hub to the Google Coral and now the SSD is happy it seems. Next I’ll test if the way the M.2 Case is powering the RPi is affecting things.

I still haven’t heard back from ArgonForty about the chipset power consumption, but it sadly doesn’t surprise me that the total still exceeds the Pi’s limit…

If you get a USB power adapter with both a USB C and A output on it, you may at least be able to reduce the number of wall plugs you need connected to keep it all powered while still including a powered hub in the setup… I’m kind of wondering if there is a Y-cable that could be used here to do away with the hub…

I should point out that the USB spec explicitly excludes Y-cables being used to power devices. There was a good electrical reason behind the exclusion, I just don’t remember exactly what it was.
Still, it didn’t stop people making them. Food for thought

I’ve found out that running both SSD and Coral over USB3 works OK on a RPi4 without a fan in another case (the Argon Neo). So either the PCB and fan is consuming too much or the way RPi is powered from the GPIO is reducing the supply current.

I tested with another fan which was smaller, off the 3.3v GPIO and power the RPi via it’s USBC and I had some UAS errors but the OS remained stable. I’ve no idea the current of this fan so I’m trying now with the Argon one as this is labelled as 0.13A.

From what I’ve been told over on the RPi forum there should be 500mA to spare from the official PSU so it’s confusing why the Argon Fan PCB is causing a power shortage. I may have to fashion my own USBC connector with a breakout to run a fan directly off the PSU and remove the fan/GPIO PCB entirely.

For what its worth, I put the WD SSD in mine and power it from the regular (official rPi 4 supply) rPi power supply no issues. I have the fan connected but its mostly off because the temps dont get too high. I also run both a zwave and zigbee stick off the other USB ports.

1 Like

Hi, I have just moved HA to Argon M.2 case with RPi4 8Gb + Kingston A400 M.2 SSD. The migration process is easy and smooth. I have CC2531 hooked up to the RPi4 with an USB extension cable to USB2 and it seems stable.

Here are the quick re-cap on what I did for the migration,

1. Update the bootloader firmware by flashing the USB boot firmware with the Raspberry Pi Imager software. There is USB boot firmware under Misc section and the flashing is very quick, ~1min.
  2. Put the SD card into RPi4 and hooked up the power supply, no internet access is needed. The green LED should starting flashing. I was told the firmware update is completed in seconds, but to be safe, just wait for +/- 10min and shutdown the power supply and pull the SD card out.
  3. I flashed the SSD with Etcher using a male to male USB cable connect to the Argon M.2 case. This complete in less than 5min.
  4. Complete the case assembly and fire it up, the new HA installation complete in less than 10min.
  5. I created a new account and upload my snapshot and do a recover everything. This takes around 15min to complete.

And that’s it, migration complete.
I plan to activate the active cooling some days in this week.

Thanks to @FreelancerJ for starting this thread with great info.

Why didn’t you used the Raspberry Pi imager also? It works with it without any problem!

Hi
You think that model SSD Crucial P2 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe also should works with this case ?

And please tell me if you use it with HA , read and write to database is on very good performance with thid SSD ?

Argon M.2 case doesn’t support NVMe SSD. Also, don’t think RPi4 can benefit much using NVMe drive. To me, this M.2 SSD is capable enough to handle HA database.

I’ve set up a Raspberry Pi 4 in the Argon One M.2 case using your guide successfully - thank you for the very comprehensive documentation! One minor tweak I needed to make was to automations.yaml. Instead of:

entity_id: sensor.pi_cpu_temp

I had to change this to the following, as the default CPU temp entity name was different for me:

entity_id: sensor.cpu_temp

Thanks again,
crgbt

The IR RX/TX is actually great addon.

Perhaps very cheap RC or some other wireless communication modules could be added.

With that i would be able to replace IR and RC hub with tasmota.

Hi everyone!
I have bought also the argon one m2 case with an intenso m.2 ssd 128GB.
I have burned an sd card with the official bootloader image for pi4, plugged in the pi and after a while everything was okay.
Then burned the homeassistant image on the ssd with balena etcher.
I have then “fixed” everything in the argon one m.2 case and after a while the “welcome screen” of homeassistant appeared.
Made a new user login just to make sure everything works and after that restored everything from the last snapshot created before the upgrade.
Everything works great and with no issues!!
My Homeassistant “server” works great now!! Really excited with the upgrade!!!