Raspberry pi camera on Hassio

When I add the raspberry pi camera to my Hassio on a pi 3/zero I receive raspistill: not found although I verified that the camera is correctly connected under Rasbian. Is there a way to trouble-shoot this, or is raspistill just not included in the Hassio build?

I get the same error.
[homeassistant.components.camera.rpi_camera] 'raspistill' was not found
Iā€™m guessing raspistill isnā€™t installed as part of Hassio

Created an issue:

thanks. Iā€™ll be watching this issue. Was hoping to hook up the camera and use it to do motion detection

I have this config in camera.yaml, and have not issues with the native RPi camera.

- platform: generic
  still_image_url: http://192.168.1.111:5004/cam.jpg
  username: your_username
  password: your_password

Hi Kanga
Looks like you are accessing another Pi. This thread is on Pi camera mounted on Hassio
Cheers

did anyone find a solution to this problem?

This issue is still open, so the current solution is donā€™t use Hassio

Just migrated to Hass.io ā€¦ Raspberry pi camera doesnā€™t works :(. Anyone is working on a fix for that ?

I am having this same issueā€¦no idea how to debug either, because SSH brings me to what appears to be a pseudo-ā€œvirtualā€ environment inside hass.io ā€¦ not the actual environment in which such devices as the RPi camera might show upā€¦

Is this a solution to a different problem or the one referenced in this thread?

Problem:

Solution:

Hello,

Anyone had a solution to get a RasPi camera running on the same Pi which is running hass.io?
EDIT: just searched on github: there is an issue open: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/184
But only lots of discussions, nothing i would see a constant solution on the default image/softwareā€¦ maybe it is lower prio. Feeling sad not able to use my RasPi cam on my hass-io hostā€¦

/ Ralf

1 Like

Is this being worked on? Just bought the Pi Camera Module v2 after finding out about the rpi_camera component and now canā€™t get it to work. In the log after a restart:
ā€˜raspistillā€™ was not found
17:10 components/rpi_camera/camera.py (ERROR)

Thatā€™s a Hassio issue

I found this ā€œKnown issues and limitationsā€
Local USB or Pi cameras are currently not supported yet. This is caused by a limitation of Hass.io. A request for a change has been made to make this possible in the future. motionEye(OS) allows you to use a second instance (e.g., a Pi Zero W) for those kinds of purposes.

That was found here:

1 Like

I just received mi Pi camera v2 and then, while trying to figure out why it didnā€™t work, found all the various threads about not working in Hassio.

Does anyone know is this is going to get supported any time soon. Really disappointed about this

@bowesmana cameras and docker is a challenge, and this issue has been noted for a while now. I recommend you use Hasspbian

Yeah, that seems to be the recommendation, but the learning curve has been steep enough already and Iā€™m not so keen on having to redo everything - as has been expressed already, I just want a gui and and simple way to do stuff. Iā€™m a developer, so I get the challenges, but thatā€™s my day job :slight_smile:

@robmarkcole as I have two Pis, would it be simple just to put the camera on the other Pi and stream it into Hassio from there?

Yes thatā€™s what the motioneye addon supports

1 Like