Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

Stand alone, via docker.

Finally got mine and it works amazing. I was not apart of the whole MyQ fiasco as I had made my own solution using a (esp8266+relay to press a button on a wireless remote) which worked okay. But wow is this so much better.

2 Likes

Best you could do is to reflash the board directly connected to a computer.

Docker permission issues are usually from not being able to manage docker as a ā€œnon rootā€ user. Following these post install directions usually helps.

I run esphome in docker and i havenā€™t had issues with ota updates.

Be sure to also define a volume in the run command . The compose to install is linked below.

Yeah, thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been doing it. I never tried wireless bc it lost connection after the firmware update. Itā€™s fine, just figured Iā€™d ask if someone might know. Seems like it could be a one and done, but it does work flawlessly if no reflashing needs to be done.

Here is my ratgdo. What can I say, it just works! My Chaimberlain is blocked from the internet now. Full control in Home Assistant.

It is the most adorable thing in my garage.

2 Likes

Are you planning to use the additional relays on this board to control other stuff?

+1 for simplicity and practicality of your installation method.

2 Likes

Looks goodā€¦ but be careful that moth doesnā€™t get too much closer. Liable to create a bug in the system. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Im using this through the MQTT integration.
I replaced my garage light switch with a zooz zwave scene controller. I use the main button for the garage door. I set it so the button toggles the door, but a double tap will stop the door.
The other 4 buttons control the garage lights, well 2 of them anyway. One for the main lights and one for some LEDā€™S I added controlled through a smart socket.
The factory garage door button now resides in a closed box and is for emergency use only.
I set it up this way because I use the garage as my gym. I have a mini-splt in there for heating and cooling. I did not want the garage door to open if I am heating or cooling the garage for my workout.
The RATGDO gives so much more control over the door than I had through the MYQ integration.

Got my new Ratgdo hardware installed and running in HA with ESPHome - itā€™s working great. Goodbye MyQ.

Noticed Iā€™m already down rev on firmware. Dreading dragging computer & cables up a ladder to re-flash now and in the future.

I found an OTA Update option by logging onto the Ratgdo hardware directly via WiFi. Searched Paulā€™s esphome-ratgdo github site, but donā€™t want to guess whatā€™s the latest firmware ā€œfileā€ for the OTA Update option. Anyone know where and what is the ā€œfileā€ to update a new V2.5?

Image shows the local web interface with option to update.

Install the ESPHome Dashboard addon. It will get discovered, and you can update it there.

2 Likes

I installed it but when I click New Device it asks me to connect the board over USB. Is it capable of detecting the existing ESPHome integration?

HA is on a different subnet than the board.

It usually does, unlessā€¦

Thought as much. Thanks.

Do you have another machine, like an old laptop or something you can run temporarily on the same subnet as the device? You can install esphome in docker on that machine to avoid needing to get on the ladder and get access to the device everytime.

There might be other work arounds people with this type of setup can suggest as well

Finally got it. I found and installed the ESPHome Add-on. Within the Add-on is a ESPHome Dashboard. Thatā€™s where the updates are.

When I first started with Ratgdo, I didnā€™t have the ESPHome Add-on loaded in HA. My new Ratgdo flashed with the ESPHome firmware was discovered by HA and was shown in Integrations. And it worked fine, but without all the nice features the ESPHome Dashboard has. Adopting the Ratgdo into the ESPHome Dashboard took about 10 minutes of processing, but after that Home Assistant nicely tells you to press the reconfigure button and all my scripts were working again. And now firmware updates are popping up in HA. Thanks.

1 Like

You can also install esphome locally and run

esphome dashboard <path_to_yaml_files> --open-ui

Any idea what would cause ratgdo devices to frequently go unavailable?
Using built-in mosquito broker.
Happens so often Iā€™ve automated detection and bringing them back online by stopping and restarting mosquito addon.
When this occurs the ratgdo devices are still connected on wifi.

1 Like

Initially I tried to onboard the Ratgdo with the ESPHome addon in the hopes that it would merge with the existing ESPHome integration. That didnā€™t work. After much trial and error I ended up deleting the integration and the device from the addon, added a dummy device offline with the addon, replaced the yaml for the one from the Github repo for my board, tweaked the yaml a bit for my network, installed that to the Ratgdo over serial and added back the ESPHome integration.

I had to cycle the door a couple of times before all the entities worked again.