Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

I don’t normally post stuff like this but, I just got my unit and after a flawless install, everything is working perfectly. Thanks for all you efforts (Paul). Thank you.

I think I jumped the gun after the MyQ integration stopped working for me. I have a 20+ year old Genie opener that worked fine with MyQ, but after receiving my Ratgdo and reading the instructions - I’m not so sure it will work with my opener.

Can someone please confirm/deny that is true, or let me know what information I need from the opener to confirm?

I think there has been some muddying of the waters on this topic.

ratgdo is for MyQ-enabled Chamberlain / Liftmaster / Craftsman openers that have a button which is not simply a push-button.

I suspect you were using the MyQ Garage – essentially a gateway device – with your Genie. The ratgdo won’t be relevant for you. What you probably want to look at is the Genie Aladdin Connect Wi-Fi RetroFit Kit: https://www.geniecompany.com/aladdin-connect-/aladdin-connect – this will allow your Genie device to be controllable through the Aladdin Connect app, which can also be integrated with Home Assistant.

1 Like

Well crap. Anyone wanna buy my Ratgdo? Ships fast! :smiley:

And I would recommend we look beyond Genie Aladdin Connect - which is still not local - and instead looking for other local solutions (zigbee, z-wave, ESPHome, Homekit. etc.)

I was under the impression the new 2.5 version has dry contact support, which should work with almost any door. It would need limit sensors though that detect when the door is fully open or closed- if that’s not on the door that’s additional items one would need to get.

I wouldn’t be buying a ratgdo just for dry contact support (other options can do this for less money), but since you have it already, you should be able to make it work. The dry contact directions are here. There’s a picture of a genie opener in the instructions.

https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/03_wiring.html

Thanks. I will read up on the dry contact support. Is there documentation somewhere about the limit switches? (My cursory Google turned up nothing.)

You just need to install two switches - one that closes and makes contact when the door is open, and another that closes and makes contact when the door is closed. You might have them already on your door. They generally look like this and activate when the door reaches them:

Or you could use a couple magnetic switches like this

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Normally-Security-Contact-Light(White)/dp/B086GYGCJ8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=normally%2Bopen%2Bmagnetic%2Bswitch&qid=1701293368&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&smid=A88A4JJCDJCGR&th=1

Aren’t switches like that already in the door?

Those switches usually are there with older doors - mine (which is a chamberlain door) actually doesn’t have them. There is this programming you do with up and down arrows so it “remembers” how far it needs to move up and down for open/close.

Ahh! My door does have them, so I should just be able to use those correct? :smiley:

Happy camper here. Installed in less than 90 minutes, and was interrupted. Really nice work.

Comments:

• I did have to make a jumper for the 2 white wires from the obstruction sensors, too big to push into the ratgdo wiring.
  • I have not been able to “lock the remotes”, but I have a pretty old GDO - Liftmaster from 6/12. The toggle is there but doesn’t appear to do anything. Also not sync’d to the physical lock out button.

Automations are noticeably faster. I use binary_sensors in some of my dashboards to show any open doors, so made one there…might be nice to have a binary_sensor for an open door (anything that is not closed) in the integration…

Fantastic stuff! Thanks to Paul W, bdraco, and all contributors!

1 Like

Yes, you should. Did you see the Genie wiring in the link I posted above? Yours might not be exactly the same but it should give you a general idea on the wiring. Here’s the pic from the directions:

1 Like

Not sure how many quantifies as “a lot”. I would guess I have under 20 on the network wirelessly.

I have rebooted the router once with no apparent benefit.

I have a free hour so I’m going to reflash the firmware and start over and hope for the best.

Under 20 shouldn’t be too many. Most consumer routers have a DHCP pool of at least 50 by default.

Apologies for asking again but I’m sure I won’t be the only one at some point. I did have both devices working without issue at one point. Now, no such luck on either. Is there any way to clear the “obstruction” issue? I’ve gotten the accurate rolling code counts and added one higher with no luck. Would resetting the garage doors openers themselves resolve the issue?
I’ve reflashed probably 20x now, refreshed, sync, etc. I can easily miss something but if it’s staring me in the face, I’ve clearly missed it.
Disappointing worst case but I guess these can be repurposed as expensive 8266 devices?

I had the status “Problem” for the obstruction sensors when I first installed mine. It turned out I had a loose ground wire connection on one of the sensors, and it was fixed as soon as I moved the problem wire to another lever terminal. Could that be your problem?

1 Like

That would be awesome and I’m happy to check it…I could be misunderstanding how the Ratgdo works…I get a little lost after playing for hours as this isn’t my world…I haven’t hooked the device back up to my door opener yet. This pops up immediately after I reflashed the device. As in it’s still connected to my pc…am I explaining that clearly?

Hmm, I didn’t look at mine right after I flashed it so I don’t know what it said then, but I suspect it would be expected if it weren’t connected to anything. Sort of like the “collision detected” errors that I keep seeing popping up in comments, which seem to be expected when the device isn’t actually connected to a GDO.

Yeah, I get those in perpetuity until I just stop it.
I’ll hook it up and see…I guess I didn’t pay attention on the initial flashes either so it would be great if that were the case…