Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

Anyone managed to get this working on liftmater gate opener?

1 Like

I have one on backorder and I have an LA400, if I hear anything or get it to work, I will post here for sure. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Great! Thanks. I am kind of surprised the inventor of this does not comment on the capability of the device to work with gate opener or not. Clearly it will help to sell more units. I note that your board looks totally different to mine. But do let me know if any luck .
Thanks again

1 Like

@PaulWieland Sorry to bug ya my friend as you are probably the busiest man in the smart home space at the moment, but do you have an updated ETA on backorders? Do you send out a tracking number once shipped? Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Edit: looks like late September orders are shipping out now, and youā€™ll get an email with tracking info.

3 Likes

Canā€™t just connect directly, needs a couple MOSFETs and resistors. See GitHub - Kaldek/rat-ratgdo: Open source schematics for ratgdo PCB for schematics.

1 Like

but do you have an updated ETA on backorders?

I came here looking for this info tooā€¦ and strangely enough while browsing here, I received an e-mail shipping notice with tracking number for my Oct. 12th order!

I see that in the most recent commit from 5 days ago that the src folder was removed. @PaulWieland is this project no longer open source? Iā€™m a GitHub n00b, so maybe Iā€™m just misunderstanding.

He moved the firmware to its own project

1 Like

Got my RATDGO 2.0 installed today and I am not able to control anything. I am able to see all of the statusā€™ for the door, light, motion, obstruction, etc in ESPHome and HA, but none of the button presses do anything.

Is there any sort of learning process I need to follow or could it have something to do with the rolling code counter? I might have hit a command once or twice when testing, could that have thrown it off?

UPDATE
I discovered that I got a RATGDO 2.5 instead of the 2.0 that I think I ordered and the transmit pin changed for the attached ESP32. Updated the ESPHome config to use the correct pin for the v2.5 and it works great!

Curious if there is a way to make the last door state changed time persistent through a reboot? For instance, my cover card may show the door has been closed for 3 hours, but as soon as the module is reloaded for any reason, that value starts back at 0.

Since ā€œUnavailableā€ is a state, the default ā€œtime since state changeā€ will reset like that.

You could probably create a template cover that pulls its status from the open/close state of the real cover but ignores Unavailable and display that instead. But it wouldnā€™t grey-out when the door is offline (it just wouldnā€™t work).

How do we install beta/alpha firmware and where do we obtain them? Thank you. Works great.

Got the new 2.5 board yesterday, working perfectly! The only feature I am trying to workout is how to make it work with Alexa again, everything else works great, I love projects like this but canā€™t stand when companies change things that have been working!

2 Likes

Just received my 2.5 board yesterday and spent some time setting it up last night. Super easy to do and works really well. Incredibly responsive and gives more features than MyQ does. As my only cloud connected device I was always apprehensive about relying on MyQ, and Chamberlain has certainly proved that right. Iā€™m very happy to have it completely locally controlled now.

One very minor piece of feedback is that it would have been nice to have an in and out terminal for the white ground wire, like there is for the other wires. Following the diagram, itā€™s the only one that required wire nutting together since my attempts at putting two wires into the one terminal on the gdo side were not successful.

1 Like

He should redo the wiring diagram to point out that Wht/GND on the left and GND at the bottom right are the same and you can use both, like the other doubled terminals.

1 Like

What power supply are you guys using to power the ratgdo? Iā€™m using the 5v/1A power brick with a Micro USB cable to power v2.5 ratgdo board and the blue light flashes and turns right off. the board wonā€™t power on.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure itā€™s not powered on? That sounds exactly like what my esp8266 did when plugged in. Blink once or twice and then nothing else, but it was on. Are you not able to flash it?

I doubt the brick is your problem, but Iā€™m using a spare 5V/2A FWIW.

I agree - Iā€™m in a similar boat trying to get the homekit bridge to pick it up!

Does ā€œthe homekit bridgeā€ support MQTT? Because the HomeKit firmware for ratgdo isnā€™t ready yet GitHub - ratgdo/homekit-ratgdo: A native homekit implementation

You need to use a bridge that supports MQTT or ESPHome API to Home Assistant currently.

Where can I get support for updating OTA with ESPHOME? Iā€™m getting this error:

Install ratgdov2-284fdb.yaml
INFO ESPHome 2023.10.6
INFO Reading configuration esphome/ratgdov2-284fdb.yaml...
Failed config

packages: [source esphome/ratgdov2-284fdb.yaml:5]

fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/config/esphome/.esphome/packages/bf922882'
  To add an exception for this directory, call:

git config --global --add safe.directory /config/esphome/.esphome/packages/bf922882.
  ratgdo.esphome: github://ratgdo/esphome-ratgdo/v2board_esp8266_d1_mini_lite.yaml@main

Not exactly what/where I should run this command, much less have a clue as to what itā€™s doing.