Reading water meter - any alternatives to camera?

I’m trying to read the value of my water meter.

I would prefer not to use a solution like Flume.

My meter does not have a spinning metal disc.

I thought I would try you the induction method anyway, but without a spinning metal disc I could not get the inductive sensor to trigger:

So I think I have use a camera to recognize the the value displayed by the meter. Like one of these methods:

Am I missing a more simple solution?

I have a different issue , similar challenge where my water meter is outside of the house and accessible to all…not willing to install this in case of burglary etc. The only option I have found is to install a second meter inside the premises that is already equipped with wifi or where I can add wifi/zigbee as above. At the moment too much work for me vs. the gain :slight_smile:

I would like to do this, however, I can’t seem to find a good water meter that works with HA. Any help on this one?

@coffeecup I have (basically) the same meter and I’m also on the hunt for a solution. Did you ever come to some resolution?

I have the same meter and am curious of a solution

Hi, let me share what I am using. Two suggestions:

1. CHEAPEST & FASTEST - setup ESP32 camera and use the HA built-in seven segment OCR reader ( Seven Segments OCR - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)) - I’m using that to read a heat meter I cannot get inside access to. This is very sensitive to camera displacement and any dislocation will trip the OCR readings.

2. MOST RELIABLE - put a bolt-on wireless adapter on you meter / buy a new wireless meter. These operate typically on Wireless MBUS protocols. There is a great addon and super active community for that wmbusmeters/wmbusmeters: Read the wired or wireless mbus protocol to acquire utility meter readings. (github.com)
    You’ll need SDR dongle for around $15-20 as well. I am running this setup with 20+ meters non stop for 2 years now. Super, super reliable and stable.