Recent discussion of supervisor d/c

I have a question. I am trying to install Home Assistant for the first time. I have an Intel NUC that I want to run Ubuntu on. Originally, I was going to install it in docker, or a python venv - (still learning about Linux). However, the recent discussion about deprecating Home Assistant supervised on linux makes me think that this may not be the best way to go. The website talks about 3 ways to install HA -
1)HA Core in a virtual environment,
2)HA supervised which is home assistant and the supervisor (soon to be deprecated) in Linux, or
3)Home Assistant in a VM with Home assistant core, supervisor and Home Assistant OS

From What I’m reading, the supervisor helps to keep HA updated and makes it easier to install addons, etc. That would be a good thing I would imagine.

I guess I’m not totally clear on the advantages and disadvantages of each install method. I also want to maintain the ability to add other software to the NUC (camera recording storage, file backup and storage, plex server, etc) I am also brand new to both linux and HA, so I am wondering which install would be the best. I am vaguely familiar with Ubuntu at the moment and would be comfortable continuing down that road.
Thanks

Sorry to point you back from whence you came - but, TBH, this thread ([On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux) has about ALL the information (and then some) you could ever want on how best to install HA to meet your needs - including the underlying pro’s / con’s of each.

In an effort to not repeat / reinvent the wheel - it’s likely best to go back and read/re-read that…

Maybe the devs should place note on the website: “When you are not familiar with the basics of Linux, docker and VM’s you should buy a Raspberry pi and not an Intel-NUC.”

While this could be true - it also will inevitably then lead people to create a thread like this… HA corrupted another SD card

1 Like

Maybe the devs should consider disabling recording everything by default in HA, and make a nice tutorial on how to setup external connection to a DB for recording? Without the recording you could use an SD card for years with HA.

To answer your original question:
Go with the HA image which is on the installation page of the documentation. Installation works as described in this post:

My question isn’t about how to manage Linux, but rather what are the pros and cons of installing home assistant each of the ways listed. I have a large number of zwave/zigbee switches, sensors and other devices throughout my home that I want to migrate over from smartthings and I want to make sure I get it right. I will get through the struggles and learn, I just wanted advice from people who have experience. There must have been a time where you looked for advice when trying to learn something.

To answer your question, your best way forward at this moment is to use the NUC image to install Home Assistant OS.

This is not a normal OS like Ubuntu, but will do (almost) everything you could want right now, while you are learning.

There are add-ons for;

You could go down the route of using a VM, but to start off with, using the NUC image and base HA OS is your best bet. It is officially supported.

1 Like

Kanga, I trust you know that I have considerable respect for what you do and the help you provide on this forum, but what do you mean by this.?

You personally, have provided more support than most on installation options so you know what you have said is ‘questionable’

:rofl:

I would recommend that he go the standard pi route, maybe a 3b with an ssd rather than an SD, buy 1 light switch, get some experience automating it sun rise sun set offsets, times, events (he may decide HA is not for him)
If it is then the snapshots are transferable and he has time to look for a deal.
Buy the right equipment and start building

Though I agree that your proposal is quite an attractive one
:beer:

Edit: I run the generic Linux installation and even if deprecated expect to be able to use AND update it for a number of years.
This is not a jump or die decision.

2 Likes

LOL, thanks.

I only suggest this way as the Supervised install method will be deprecated at some point, so I am looking for alternatives myself.

He has the NUC, so using the official NUC image is the easiest and best forward at this time.

1 Like

Yep, he already bought the hardware.
:roll_eyes:
My bad

I still want to know what “officially supported” means

The NUC image is supported (currently) in the same way a Pi image is. Things seem to be changing in the HA world at the drop of a hat, but today NUCs are supported out of the box like a Pi.

That’s just blurb, pardon my French.

By whom and on what channels ?

I’ve only ever seen members, supported by other members.

If there is a privy channel it’s well hidden and not very ‘official’

This is starting to sound like an argument but I am honestly not arguing, I genuinely want to know what I’ve missed out on in the last 2.5 years

Thanks for your reply kanga. I didn’t realize that the NUC image would allow for things like camera recording and Plex integration. That sounds like it may be the way to go. From what I’ve read you need to go with a live linux USB as the NUC image is just that - an image and not an installer. So I’ll have to figure out how to install that.
Question - with The snapshot back up, does that allow a reinstall of a differing setup without having to exclude and re-pair all of the devices? If I choose to change in the future I would love to avoid that.

It’s been a while since I had my NUC and did this method, but I believe if you have an SSD and a USB drive adapter, you can burn the NUC image to the SSD using your PC in the same way you would with an SD card using Etcher.

Any new install on different hardware can potentially give you problems with pairing Z-wave devices.

A system snapshot can be downloaded and used to restore on lets say a VM that also uses Home Assistant OS, if you were to change in the future.

1 Like

With supported I think you get the possibility to raise issues on GitHub about it and they will get solved (no guarantee on the time that will take) by the dev team.

Not supported means you can go ahead and do whatever you want, but if you run in to problem you rely on your own dev skills or the good will of others to solve it and a long term solution won’t be provided by the dev team. Though everybody is free to fork the code and provide for a long term solution if they want to.

I share your believe about the Linux supervised install probably keep on working for years. I think people are jumping to fast around after the news, or not understanding the news and think they won’t get updates to HA anymore, which is not true.

supervised installation is not gone but yes we don’t know the vision about it with the recent statement.
For who is approaching to HA is not the best method, for now.
If you have enough NUC power i suggest you to install an hypervisor and then install HA as a VM, so you can then use another VM for your things, leaving HA VM alone doing only HA things.

1 Like

@frits1980, Thanks, that’s pretty much what I thought except ‘if I break something’ I’m pretty much under the impression that “I” will have to fix it (ie I never expected any support).
So if an OS upgrade interferes with Hassio (ie Supervised) in anyway, I’ll ‘peel’ back the upgrade and sit like that whilst I consider my options, no rush.

@kanga_who, thanks for putting up with the stupid questions.

Hopefully rpf will come out with the new eft for rpi 4 and people can just boot from the ssd which will remove 60% of the issue, and by then we’ll be comfortable enough to have some solid guides on proxmox and venv environments such that even I could follow

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have an i3 with 500gb ssd and 32gb of ram. Originally I thought I was going big when I purchased it, but now some of the stuff I’m reading makes me think I may have gone a bit too lite. One of the things I would like to look into in the future is face/object recognition with cameras, which I’m thinking might use a lot of resources.
Do you use an hypervisor? if so which one?

i3 + 500gb ssd + 32gg of ram i don’t call it “gone a bit too lite” man :joy:
If you think i’m using, in my parent’s house, HA supervised on linux + solar panel webserver + cloudflare ddns + doods object detection + mqtt + zerotier + wireguard + influxdb + nodered + pihole in a pi 3b+ and everything is running smooth, your config is a beast.
In my home i have a nuc but my main host is Windows 10 so i use hyper-v. Not the best choice but need the nuc for other things than just be an hypervisor ( read it as i need it as a normal pc with monitor ).
All depends on which OS you want as host, then pick an hypervisor you’d like to use or you have knowledge.