Recent discussion of supervisor d/c

The biggest thing you have realize is that if you use a NUC image directly on the SSD then you will have a significantly restricted base OS.

If you go that route then pretty much the only apps you will be able to add on to your machine will be only those that are available as add-ons thru HA - unless you can figure out how to use Portainer to run new containers (which I’ve never done so I don’t know how feasible it is). Even then you will be limited on what you can run on your machine to only those apps that are available as a Docker container. That may be OK for what you ultimately want to to but just be aware of that strict limitation.

That is my concern - now I’m leaning towards running it in a VM again. Too many options blah!

OK - it was the documentation on the HA website that talks about an i3 being good for running Home assistant only, and the i5 or i7 recommended for running multiple environments.

I also want to setup a number of things down the road. Thanks for your time!

I’m surprised to hear you say that because you asked had me a very similar question and I replied here:

The link I provided you to the Add-Ons repository includes Plex Media server and many others including motionEye (CCTV and NVR).

If you do not find the Add-On you want, but it exists somewhere as a Docker container, you are able to install the Portainer Add-On and then use it to install the desired Docker container. So you have all the flexibility you desire without the complexity of using a VM or the uncertainty of using the ‘Supervised/generic linux’ version.

I had also recommended you use Home Assistant’s Intel NUC image because you already have an Intel NUC and this is an officially supported installation (and likely to remain that way). You have everything you need to produce a supported, flexible installation.

Hello Taras,
Thank you for all your help if I have not said that. I think I replied to Kanga about the camera before I read your post about the repositories - which is infinitely useful.

I am going back and forth with the install method because I was also thinking about using the NUC for things other than home assistant down the road. The choices are enough to make my head explode.

Although it is highly likely that I will have to at some point anyways - I am trying to avoid setting up Home Assistant and then having to reinstall and setup everything again because I changed my mind about how I want to approach the whole thing.

Docker or VM is perfect for this mentality. You don’t have to worry about messing up the host system with unnecessary crap. You just change from Docker to VM or VM to Docker, or whatever…the configuration is all there in a directory…portable between different installation methods.