My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

Anyone using Hassio on Proxmox with the MariaDB HA add-on? I’ve migrated to a Proxmox based i3 NUC this evening (using wipe and restore) and my recorder and other services relying on MariaDB have died. Figure it’s something to do with the host below so if anyone has a working config, that would be appreciated.

{
  "databases": [
    "hassosdb"
  ],
  "logins": [
    {
      "username": "hass",
      "host": "%",
      "password": "mysglpassword"
    }
  ],
  "rights": [
    {
      "username": "hass",
      "host": "%",
      "database": "hassosdb",
      "grant": "ALL PRIVILEGES ON"
    }
  ]
}

Apparently there is a bug. You need to stop MariaDB before you do a migration backup. I did not. Reinstalled MDB with same settings, all working again.

This method do not works for me!
I’ve a Intel NUC8i3BEH if I use Etcher to put Hassio image “assos_intel-nuc-3.7.img” to my Sandisk usb dongle it do not start at boot and show me:

HassOS boot Menu:

1. Autoboot
  2. Boot System 0
  3. Boot System 1
  4. Shell

If I put it directly in my SSD disk with etcher without using Usb stick it works fine.

1 Like

I wonder if i can use the nuc image to install hass.io on a i7 920 machine that i have around… Can i? Or i need the virtual machine method?

Hi guys,

I am following this instruction, booted my NUC using Parted Magic, but after I run:

gunzip -c /media/sdc1/hassos_intel-nuc-3.8.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=fsync

It says:
gzip: /media/sdc1/hassos_intel-nuc-3.8.img.gz: not in gzip format

Any ideas?

Update:

Redownloaded the file again and looks better now. Previously even via gui it din’t want to open the archive, so maybe it was corrupted or not fully downloaded

Hi, It might be too late for some, but I have really been struggling with this and finally succeeded. Just posting this in case somebody else faces the same problem, with a bit of luck they can find it all (or at least most of it) here. Note that it is not a detailed guide as I tried so many things, but it should give the overall gist of it.

I am new to both Hassio/OS and Linux so had to go through a lot of posts. This one somehow led me on the right track so I am posting here. I, like others did not want to run it on a linux/docker (yes, I know, many arguments for doing that, but I did not want to deal with that).

First problem was that most posts are about loading the hassio image to SD, which I do not have, some then resort to burning it directly to the SSD/HDD which I also could not do. So wanted to do it from USB. As others have encountered next problem was to get it to boot from USB, played around with bios settings, a lot. The main thing is to change USB from legacy to UEIF. I believe not everybody has to do that, but I had.

Once I got it to boot, the third problem was that the Hass installation got stuck, as other have, on the menu with autoboot, system 0, system 1, shell options. Neither of which worked.

Saw somewhere the description of a Linux Live distribution, where you run Linux from your USB. Tried that. Worked fine. Then some were talking about having the hass image on a nas server, a second USB and god knows what. Sounded very complicated. I put the gz file on the same USB as the Linux live. Then followed xbmcnut’s description (see post above): gunzip -c /home/ubuntu/Downloads/hassos_intel-nuc-2.12.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sda

Problem four: As I was new to Linux I had no idea how/where to enter the above command. Turns out it is in a terminal window which you can open by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T. Probably obvious to Linux people, but not to me.

xmbcnut’s post might actually be what gave me the clue as he writes, offhandedly sort of, that BerryClaim “had downloaded the GZ using a live Ubuntu install instead”. And I had seen somewhere else that a live linux was running it from USB.

At some point during the above I had to put the USB back to legacy, not sure when that was, so play around with it.

So a big thanks to xmbcnut and the many others whose posts allowed me to piece this together.

2 Likes

Hi @eriktoft,

Can you expand on this, please?
I’ve been trying to install Proxmox on my NUC8i5 from a USB stick with the Proxmox iso image, prepared using Etcher, and getting an error when it starts to boot:

“Image Authorization Fail, System cannot boot to this device due to Security Violation.”

When you mention ‘putting the USB back to legacy’, how did you do that? Is it something you did to the USB stick, or something in the bios during the boot process?
This might just be the bit I’m missing!
TIA.

Yes, it was changing the USB settings in bios, I could not boot from bios without changing it back. But it was a different error message, I think, I got, so perhaps you need to change some security settings also in bios. Trial and error, a lot, did it for me:-)

Thanks for the information, that helps. I’ll give it another try soon.

This method just doesn’t seem to work HA starts to boot but gets stuck on Bluetooth firmware revision line and just does nothing.

Silly question time!
i have tried the dd method and etcher on both the internal emmc and an ssd all 4 installs end up at the hassOS boot menu, holding the enter key for a while causes a message to kinda display and from what i can make out the install is looking for a /boot/efi partition… Can anyone offer any suggestions on this?

this is as good an image as i can get!

1 Like

This I have exactly the same… cant get it working

I was able to install it on my nuc as following:

• create a bootable linux live USB (I used debian, any other distro will do)
  • copy the intel nuc image from hassio on same stick (just as a file, you can use second usb if you like)
  • boot nuc from the live usb
  • start root terminal su or sudo -i
  • the live usb did not have gnome disks, so just install it apt update && apt install gnome-disks
  • start gnome-disks from same terminal (as root) gnome-disks
  • restore disk image (it’s under the ‘waffle’ icon)

I did startup gparted shortly and noticed the bootable flag was not set (I had deleted entire disk content and re-created partition table) so I enabled bootable flag

Also I did nothing to resize it, I can see the total size of the disk being used (120GB) mostly being used by /dev/sda8 with 100GB free space left

Hope it helps for someone

I want to give you an overview what I experienced.
I bought a NUC7CJYH2 with 8 GB Ram and 256 SSD!
With etcher I wrote the image to the SSD.
I started the nuc with an Ethernet cable connected.
It couldn‘t boot because the image wasn‘t save. So I started the bios and and changed the boot option.
Then NUC Booted, but stucked with connecting to the network. That’s why I deactived the WiFi in the BIOS.
The NUC Booted properly and I could see it on my dhcp server, but I couldn‘t connect to it.
I restarted the Nuc and updated the bios.
After a restart I had the same problem, but after 30-40 minutes the webpage loaded.
I installed the smb plugin and placed my last backup in the backup folder.
After a restart, I had to wait 30-40 minutes again and could load the backup.
Finally, my NUC booted in 45 seconds and everything is working like a charm!
It replaced my rpi2 and is running as a Live System for 4 days now (deconz and zwave included)

Success with your method and particularly with the approach of imaging the SSD externally first. The tip on identifying the ethernet identifier also helped so thank you.

I have traditionally run my HA instance on a smart plug that can be reset through some other system if needed, as a last ditch solution. If anyone is aware of another option that the NUC permits, that would be interesting.

I have been having this exact same issue for far too long… did you have any luck solving the problem?

I used balena etcher in an Ubuntu Live distro to image to a Samsung 970 NVMe m.2. This is an Intel NUC.

I’ve found it’s easier to use Rufus to make a bootable Ubuntu USB and then install to the drive. Try following THIS

Thanks, but the issue @Blair_Pollard and me have are specific when installing HASSIO as an OS directly to a NUC. I have been running it fine for over a year on a R-Pi but whenever I revisit my NUC I get stuck at the same place. I realize I could install Ubuntu or another distro and go that route, but I have enjoyed the simplicity of HASSIO on my R-Pi for a while and would love to maintain that.

Do you mean Home Assistant OS? Hass.io was never an OS.

yes, https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/