Recommendations for a water timer?

I’ve been using a Tuya Wifi valve switch to control a drip irrigation line in my garden:

It’s terrible. Eats batteries like crazy and frequently needs to be reset, defeating the purpose. It also doesn’t work with HA. Before I pick up a simple mechanical timer, I thought I’d see if there are any recommendations for a comparable product here. I was contemplating finding a model that works on Zigbee, but I’m open to all suggestions.

It usually works with HA but I know the other issues in general. There are zigbee solutions too but I have not seen anyone really happy. My take was different, when dying (net/bat) whilst open … the taps supposedly remain open and this I donot want so I stayed with the mechanical one

I’m using the equivalent from b-hyve. It uses bluetooth between their hub and timer, and the two AA batteries last at least a few months (I have not explored rechargeables). There is a HACS component for b-hyve here.

The website for your timer says the comms between the hub and timer is RF, so not sure why the battery would drain fast.

I just ordered an Orbit 21004 B-hyve. This is the version with the WiFi hub. Will be deploying with HACS integration and will report once it is deployed.

2 Likes

I have a RainPoint and B-Hyve system. I will have to say the B-Hyve is more superior to RainPoint. Now RainPoint just release a new I am testing now so we will how it goes.

1 Like

The Orbit 21004 B-hyve came in. The configuration via the Orbit app was a bit cumbersome. I had to configure and delete the devices three times before they started properly talking to each other (the valve and the hub). But after they paired properly, it has been stable.
The Orbit BHyve HACS integration works great. I now have an Ecowitt WH51 soil moisture sensor and a HA automation watering my garden as needed, not on a set time schedule.

1 Like

hey! how is your bhyve going on? i’m considering purchasing once but would love to hear your experience with it so far?

It has been flawless. I purchased a second one and have both operating from the same wifi hub. After more than a month operating multiple times daily, batteries are still showing at 100% (I’m using lithium). No complaints about the valve or the HA custom integration.

2 Likes

So how did the Rainpoint gen 2 vs Bhyve testing go for you?

1 Like

Just an FYI on this topic. The B-Hyve and HACS integration is the best option for a simple plug and play setup.

If your willing too do a little more DIY setup though. you can get A 3/4" irrigation valve for around $20.00, (2) 3/4" npt to 3/4" ght adapters for around $5.00 a 24v power supply for around $15.00, with whatever simple 1ch relay you prefer. You can see where I’m going with this. While it’s not gonna be the perfect setup for everyone, it can be for some. The biggest advantages to this setup is being able to cheaply add more valves (zones) in the future, not having batteries to worry about, and simple rock solid HA integration.

I am using this setup with a AliExpress zigbee soil monitor to control the drip irrigation for my container tomatoes and it’s working great. I haven’t messed around to much with setting up automated watering. I am basically using the sensor to trigger notifications that I can then decide to act upon accordingly. I do have a failsafe automation setup if the soil moisture is below a certain level for an extended period it will automatically water.

Just wanted to share that with community, it was a fun little project for me.

1 Like

All in all the BHyve timers integrated into HA way better than the Rainpoint (which don’t due to app change to Homgro). Now I love some of the stuff that Rainpoint has like their new soil sensor would be great to add to HA and make an automation to set off the BHyve timers. Rainpoint is looking into integrating into HA down the road but not at this time.

How is it working now? I am always worried about water timers that have pressure against them. But, I also don’t want to keep crawling under a table to turn on the water spigot.

They are working great! No issues at all.
I have two hubs and three valves setup. All my drip irrigation is automated with HA, using the BHyve valves and three ground moisture probes.
Side note: My water bill dropped 55% versus last year when I had just Orbit timers running for a set amount of time. Now, irrigation happens only if the ground needs it

Opensprinkler is the best one I’ve seen. Not ZigBee though.

Which ground moisture probes you are using? Thanks!

I am using Ecowitt GW1106 Soil Moisture Meters. They connect to a small WiFi (GW1100). Very accurate, reliable, and long battery life.
The whole Ecowitt ecosystem is well supported by HASS.
GW1106 are ~ $14 USD and the GW1100 ~$24 @ Aliexpress

Hello!

you said this valve is working in HA?
Cause I have 10 (some 2 valve and some single valve) but they do not work in HA. It says not supported in the TUYA Integration.

How can I get them working?

Nope…I did some searching on taps and found out that this one was not reliable… i.e. remains open when battery/net dies … hence I did not want it