Recommendations for Thermostatic Valves (TRV) to work with Hass.IO

Yes, I also used the same website as reference because the printed guide does not contain all the information. Anyway, thx for your help. It is weird really, yesterday I wasn’t able pair TRVs except that one time but today both were paired right away on first try.

As for zigbee2mqtt it was my mistake, I decided to give it a try and updated the add-on to the latest version and even though I had to re-pair everything from scratch right now everything works beautifully without any issues. I’m also happy to report it is not causing any communication problems between zigbee2mqtt and wiser system. Win-win.

Glad to hear it all went well. I don’t get any problems with the two Zigbee networks either.

Enjoy!

@sloma, @jtnn60

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but I wondered if you guys are still happy with your products?

I have Hive Active Heating to control boiler and hot water and I was wondering if I could just buy the Wiser TRV’s and paured them with zigbee2mqtt and have control of the radiators of each individual room - do you think my plan can work?

I don’t use it with zigbee2mqtt but you can pair it. Last time I did that it wasn’t working as good as through wiser component for HA. Maybe something has changed since then, but I am still happy.

Yes very happy with the level of integration provided by the Wiser integration

I did not try pairing the Wiser TVRs with my Conbee II Zigbee stick. No point as I have the Wiser Heat Hub which the integration uses.

1 Like

The TRV is just a ‘head’ fitted on to the actual mechanical valve. These valves are prone to sticking for a number of reasons. Take the head off, ensure that the plunger on the valve moves in and out, if not a drop (A DROP) of WD 40 and a pair of pliers can help.

Hi John, thanks for all the detail above. Super-useful.

I’ve currently got a three-zone Nest with a separate water tank. I realise that the system isn’t really that smart and one of the thermostat struggles with connectivity to the base station. I’m thinking an upgrade might be due. Caveat: I don’t know much about plumbing.

I like the look of the Drayton but I’m unclear what I need. I was hoping to just have a bunch of Zigbee TRVs; not sure why I need base stations, LCD displays and zones. Or at least, I’d like every room to be a zone; that’s kinda the point. My ideal setup is radiators that warm each room according to who’s in the house. Do the TRVs create a some kind of communication mesh to help with connectivity?

Looking around my house I can count about 20 radiators, so £50 per TRV could get expensive!

1 Like

I’m going to reply to my own questions having spoken to Drayton tech support this morning.

I now understand that the base stations are the devices that talk to the plumbing system. If I put TRVs on all the radiators then I can control the heating on a room-by-room basis. They don’t create a mesh but Drayton sell sockets as extenders.

Is the noise much of a problem when they change? I watched a youtube review and they found them a bit loud in a bedroom. Thinking of them for the in-laws. I use eq3 Bluetooth and can just about hear them if standing next to.

Only just seen your questions. I myself also wanted to buy TRVs that I could integrate with HA as I had a competitor’s heating controller. However, I could not find any that worked correctly as I documented on my blog https://drjohnt.github.io/blog_posts/2020-04-21-ha_journey.html . The Drayton Wiser Heat Hub does the communication with the Wiser TRVs. The integration works with HA really, really well.

1 Like

The from the Drayton Wiser TRVs is ok. Certainly not loud enough to wake you up in the morning.

1 Like

That blog post looks great. I’m going to read it later.

I had a Drayton installer come around to give me a quote, who suggested that I might be better off with the Honeywell system. We live in a fairly large house and he said that he’d had some people in similiar sized houses with connection problems, even when using the plugs as extenders. I’ve had real headaches getting good wifi coverage, even with five Google Wifi pucks, some I’m cautious about this. The Honeywell system has better range. He said that both were great systems though.

I think both Drayton and Honeywell are good systems and both have good Home Assistant integrations.

They are indeed.

When I looked at Honeywell, it seemed much more expensive. I also got the Drayton Wiser Heat Hub kit2 on eBay for 70% of the normal price and sold my old Salus kit for £70 so the wiser system only cost me for the five extra TRVs @ £40 each. Not bad for individual room control!

I’m having issues with a large differential between the eTRV temperature and room temperature (up to 8 or 10c) in multiple rooms. What are people’s experiences with this?

Is that the custom:simple-theromostat that you’re using for your temperature controls?
How did you get them? I’m looking to get something similar, even half a grid smaller. Can you share some info?
Will appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi, do you have a recommendation for a TRV that is quiet and able to manually regulate the throughput?

I have previously had some cheap Tuya ones which were a mess. Now I bought a Tado, which can regulate the throughput and operates fast and reliably, but there is no API for me to control it. I am also put off by the support. They are really the Apple of the TRV manufacturers and are not interested in giving the user any control over their devices. I am currently pressuring the support to improve their API and offer manual control, but I think that conflicts with their policy.

So yeah, I am looking for a TRV that I can control, preferably without the cloud and that can regulate the flux.

Shelly TRV, local and direct integration into home assistant. They work quite well, fairly quiet too

Can you set the valve opening level?

I actually don’t think that Shelly would be a good choice here. Wifi needs a lot more power for handshaking. You will need to have to recharge the the TRVs all the time. You also can’t exchange the batteries. Not for me.

I think all of the smart TRVs have one issue: the motor. It is really loud and you coming up with algorithms that regulate it as finely as a conventional TRV is hard. It would be great if there were a TRV one day that works like a conventional one, but can still be intervened electronically. Maybe physicists will come up with something one day! Maybe something piezoelectric… A lot of lab work would be needed I guess.

1 Like

You’ve explained the Shelly TRV. Their logic on valve position is spot on. You can also disable that and run set points for the servo yourself.
The motor is very quiet and battery life is around 6-12 months.

All mine have been in service just over a year and I’ve only had to charge 2 of them. They’re in very small rooms so they’re constantly altering the valve position.

I have 16 of the Shelly TRVs and highly recommend them!

Hi beccsjb

I am looking at the Shelly TRVs, but recent experience with their battery operated H & T sensor put me off. That sensor seems to stay asleep for an age before updating HA. Do the TRVs wake and communicate reliably?

Thanks

Andy