Recommendations Zigbee Smart Plug (UK) w/ Energy Monitoring

Do these work as routers too?

Apparently most non-battery operated devices work as routers, my zigbee2mqtt map no longer works so I’m not sure how to tell, zigbee2mqtt is reporting it as a router.

1 Like

I’m ordering these too. Thanks for the rec. I’ll be using zigbee2mqtt but I see from someone else that they’ve got it working.

Putting all the comments and the reviews on AliExpress into the mix, I’m happy to gamble that these will indeed supply power and energy data.

However, what does this review mean? I’m familiar with polling from z-wave where this would mean the controller would need to periodically check the plug for data. For power especially, I’d want the plug to notify HA when the value changes.

I’ve not yet set Zigbee up in HA, and I’m currently relying on a Hue hub and a SmartThings hub - which work fine. I’ll probably try these plugs with one of these, and if that doesn’t work that’ll be the trigger to start moving to Zigbee2MQTT.

Also, is this an actual, real problem with these plugs? Afaict the plugs do work, perhaps with quirks, so has this user just had bad luck or misunderstood something?

Screenshot_20230330_105750_AliExpress|690x471

Headsup that Ajax are apparently going through a rebranding, and are selling off stock at half price. If you’re interested in their Zigbee energy monitoring plugs for around £12.49 then you can get them here:

and use the code “rebrand50”. Applies to everything on site apparently so a few zigbee products.
I have no connection to the company other than a satisfied customer.

Some discussion around these plugs above (Recommendations Zigbee Smart Plug (UK) w/ Energy Monitoring - #9 by benzoid1).
Note some people have had a problem with a high voltage cutout being triggered at 250V. I haven’t but out voltage never gets that high.

1 Like

I’ve just started using HA and have a SONOFF USB universal Zigbee controller working with ZHA and a couple of temperature sensors, pretty cool so far :slight_smile:

I’m looking for plugs to replace my wifi plugs with zigbee and came accross this thread. The Ajax deal looks good, but then the Aliexpress link is now at a ludicrous 83% off. Its so cheap I’m a bit skeptical its not going to burn my house down at some point.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004945906794.html
Tuya 20A Zigbee Smart Plug UK Socket - £2.54ea

1 Like

They do seem very cheap. I would not run 20A through them, a UK socket is only rated at 13A after all.

1 Like

I would reiterate that AJAX are just rebranding tuya plugs that they are buying from china, and even at 50% off, they are still more expensive than virtually the same plugs from aliexpress that I linked above.

Also, I can confirm that as of the current (2023.9.2) version of HA (and probably for a while), you no longer need to install your own local quirk, its built into HA now.

1 Like

This is true – they show as TuYa TS011F_plug_3 devices so presumably are definitely using the same chipset.
For very cautious folk like me, buying from a UK seller means that kitemark or CE standards for the whole item (should) have been verified and certified. I’d happily buy (and do!) any number of battery powered items from Aliexpress, but mains relay devices I buy from UK/EU. I’m not advising anyone else to necessarily do the same, but if they do, now’s a good time to buy!

1 Like

I don’t think that price held for long, they are now a little more expensive, but still stupidly cheap:

i have 4 of these and have been running them for over 6 months without a single issue.

I would avoid Frient or Develco, I have 3 of them and they constantly drop out and have poor signal even next to the coordinator. Constantly getting warnings:-

Update of sensor.kitchen_utility_frient_switch_dryer_active_power is taking over 10 seconds
Update of sensor.kitchen_frient_switch_dishwasher_active_power is taking over 10 seconds
Update of sensor.kitchen_utility_frient_switch_washing_machine_active_power is taking over 10 seconds

What’s the polling rate of the energy consumption of this plug?

30 seconds

1 Like

Has anyone who’s using these TS011F plugs suddenly found that the Active Power is no longer updating in HA?

If I manualy read the value from the Manage Zigbee Device > Cluster options the value is there, but on any Dashboard its just 0w.

I have Smart Life hub and repaired one to that and the values are being updated, just not in HA.

I have a bunch of these (TS011F plug 3) and have them paired directly through a Sonoff Zigbee USB 3.0 Plus and Zigbee2MQTT.
They all seem to be working mostly okay: power, current, voltage and energy (cumulative use) are reporting and updating.

Anyone found any good deals on these? Looking to buy 3, it costs around £18.50 with tax and shipping to the UK via Ali.

Happened to me today, not sure why. Repaired a few times and nothing.

Restarted Z2M nothing.
Disconnected coordinator and restarted Z2M, it then suddenly reappeared.

Can any of the Zigbee Smart Plugs with Energy Monitoring report the power in 1s intervals ? Or somehow instantaneously when the power changes?
I am currently using Tasmota wifi plugs that can quickly report the changes, to detect the state of some non-smart devices.

The Zignito ones I have (which show as model TS011F_plug_3 in Zigbee2MQTT) have a setting to be polled as the firmware doesn’t push – not good for your requirement. The minimum polling seems to be 30s so definitely not!