Official Honeywell evohome/Round Thermostat integration (EU-only)

It looks like you’re still using the official evohome component? What do you see when you open up the card, and click on the drop-down list box?

Execute this command: cat home-assistant.log | grep custom | head, and you should expect to see the following warning, You are using a custom component for evohome:

2018-11-06 16:30:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for evohome which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

If you don’t see this, then something is wrong with your custom_components folder.

1 Like

Works like a charm, but I did need to make a change to the evohome.py root file to make it work. Using the evohome component I got the following error in the HA log:
File “/config/custom_components/evohome.py”, line 266, in setup loc[GWS][0][‘gatewayInfo’] = ‘REDACTED’ IndexError: list index out of range
When I comment-out line 266 in the evohome.py file, it works without a problem… Using version HA 81.6 with config setting location_idx = 0

Now that is interesting… The [0], above, is not the same as loc_idx. Seems that your list is length == 0 (i.e. = []).

I have never seen this before. Would you kindly add the 1st line before the other two (lines 260-261):

_LOGGER.info("ZX: %s",  client.installation_info)
# Redact any installation data we'll never need.
if client.installation_info[0]['locationInfo']['locationId'] != 'REDACTED':

… and PM me the results of cat home-assistant.log | grep ZX?

Thanks for the hint. Works now. I installed the evohome.py file and its climate folder in a separate evohome subfolder instead of straight into the custom_components folder:

/custom_components/evohome/evohome.py = wrong
/custom_components/evohome.py = correct

Hello! I can see all of my data coming through in the api in the logs but there aren’t climate entities set up for each zone? Just a climate.home … any idea why this could be? Thanks :slight_smile:

There shoud be an entity for each Zone. Yes, I have an idea.

1. The builtin evohome component only exposes the Controller (for now, I am just about to submit another PR which will add Zones).

2. The custom component exposes controller, Zones & DHW (if any).

3. Custom components ‘override’ built-in components with the same name (evohome, in this case).

So, if you can see only a Controller, and no Zones, then it seems the custom component has failed to load, and so you’re using the builtin component.

Next Steps

Execute this command: cat home-assistant.log | grep custom | head, and you should see the following warning, You are using a custom component for evohome:

2018-11-06 16:30:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for evohome which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

If you don’t see this, then something is wrong with your custom_components folder.

Got it - thanks! I’d messed up my custom_components folder as I couldn’t do the git pull method on Hassio so copied the files across manually…

In case anyone else does the same thing, you want to put the evohome.py file straight into your custom_components folder (not in a sub folder), then you also want 2 subfolders in the custom_components folder (water_heater & climate) both of which have a single evohome.py file. All 3 evohome.py files are different and required

Quick follow up - switching between modes seems to work fine for most modes (day off, heating off etc) but when I switch to ‘Auto’ nothing happens… any idea why?

I’m totally new to HomeAssistant having come from a Smartthings background. I have installed a hassio based system and this is the first addon where I have used Github so I’m uncertain if I’ve done it correctly. Therefore any advice out there would be much appreciated.

I have created a samba share through my windows machine and created the custom_components folder within Config. I used the clone option within github to move the files, Github opened a desktop interface that allowed me to do this. What actually happened was it created a Evohome folder within custom_components. I saw in one post it was necessary to move these files so I moved the files and associated folders, climate and waterheater to sit within config/custom_components, I therefore now have config/custom_components/water heater with a evohome python file in it, a config/custom_components/climate also with an evohome python file in it and at the route of config/custom_components there is also a evohome python file, aside from these there are a .gitignore, license and readme files at this level. There is a config/custom_components/pycache folder with a evohome.cpython-36 file in and config/.git folder with lots of files within that.

As I do a config check it reports: Invalid config for [evohome]: [scan_interval] is an invalid option for [evohome]. My configuration looks like this:

evohome:

username: as per login
password: as per login

These config parameters are presented with their default values…

scan_interval: 300
high_precision: true # temperature in tenths instead of halves
location_idx: 0 # if you have more than 1 location, use this

These config parameters are YMMV…

use_heuristics: false # this is for the highly adventurous person, YMMV
use_schedules: false # this is for the slightly adventurous person
away_temp: 15.0 # °C, if you have a non-default Away temp
off_temp: 5.0 # °C, if you have a non-default Heating Off temp

Please bear in mind as i am totally new to HA i’ve likely made an error not associated to the add-on.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Take away all evohome parameters, except for username & password.

I suspect that it will then it will start OK.

Once that’s done, check that you’re using the custom component, and not the builtin version, using the ‘Next Steps’ instruction, from post #182 (here: Official Honeywell evohome/Round Thermostat integration (EU-only))

Good luck.

Sorry no, and I can’t test it until after tomorrow…

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks, The config now doesn’t report any errors.:grinning: But i’ve restarted and still see nothing. Should its addition be obvious?

Yep, for example: Official Honeywell evohome/Round Thermostat integration (EU-only) - #41 by zxdavb

Troubleshooting

These two should give no results:

cat home-assistant.log | grep evohome | grep ERROR
cat home-assistant.log | grep evohome | grep WARN

This one should list the Controller, and all your Zones:

cat home-assistant.log | grep evohome | grep Found

Well it definitely isn’t installed. I’m sorry i don’t understand the “cat” commands, where do I find them?

@davidtja I’m sorry, but I don’t have the spare capacity to support beginners.

Maybe someone else listening to this thread can help so I can get this latest PR done?

Or you can try elsewhere in the forum…

OK understood. Ill crack on.

PR submitted to add Zones to HA - woot!

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/18428

This is amazing! This is the view I always needed but couldn’t get from Honeywell. Thanks for making this happen!!

Yes, the graphs can be quite insightful.

I could see one of my kid’s room always lost heat quickly… Looked in the attic, and boom: no insulation above her celling!

Another thing is i installed a weather compensation system (which modulates the temp of circulating CH water), and reduced my overshoots drastically.

1 Like

I had never even heard of such a thing, but now that you told me about it, it looks like a pretty great idea. I’m going to look into it.

I am also starting to notice that my son’s room is having a hard time heating up compared to the others. It is also a bedroom under the roof… I should probably go check the insulation too.

Out of curiosity, is there any ability in the API to graph how open the TRVs and boiler controls were throughout the day? That would also be really useful and interesting information. It’s shown now from the latest firmware update in the control unit if you go into the installer section.

Knowledge is power. It’s so much easier to optimize when you can actually see what’s going on.

1 Like