Reliable, ZigBee compatible vibration sensor? (Aqara is not reliable)

I am trying to set up a vibration sensor to monitor the vibrations of a kid with epilepsy at night. I am using a Sonoff Dongle Plus E as a coordinator.

I have bought an aqara vibration sensor and I am really disappointed with it since it does not report vibrations “in real time”.

I have set up vibration_timeout as 3 and the sensitivity to High but the sensor will just report vibration one time, then wait for the vibration_timeout value to pass, and then go to clear for almost 90 seconds until it is able to report again. I have tested this by taking the aqara device in my hand and shaking it for several seconds.

See here, in all of those events I have shaken my hand for at least 10 seconds but the event duration is always 3 seconds.

This (ignored) issue seems to be related: DJT11LM adjustable vibration timeout vs fixed 60 sec lockout · Issue #12444 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub

I also can not use the tilt sensors since they do not report anything until the device is still again.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable vibration sensor? Does not have to necessarily be a battery-powered one, but it should be able to continually report the vibration (with a configurable vibration timeout).

Thank you very very much!

1 Like

Have you looked at the Aeotec Multipurpose sensor? I don’t own one so can’t say if it will work for your use case, but it does have tilt and vibration sensing.

However, I suspect with any batter powered device, there is going to be some sort of forced timeout to conserve energy.

I ditched prebuild sensors completely and builded me one with an ESP32, a couple of SW-420 vibration sensors and ESPHome.

Just for others searching this topic, i ditched the Aqara vibration devices and have now tested the TuYa TS0210 for 3-4 months. This actually works great.