Tuya devices/entities gone missing

I’ve only had one type of plug brick on me with Tasmota OTA, the Teckin SP20 bought in 2019, and I was able to recover by serial flashing them. (I used this one, but there’s a ton of them that would work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2KKW64/ )

All of these other ones worked perfectly OTA:

For me this was the issue. Creating a new account and linking to that one, and all devices did show up again.

Update from me - I emailed Tuya support, told them what error I was getting when trying to pull device information via the API Explorer GET command. They’ve done something on their side and I can now pull information that I need (device key etc) to allow me to add the devices to Local-Tuya, however all the devices are also now back showing in the cloud Tuya integration.

I did try flashing all 5 of my plugs with Tasmota OTA and had absolutely no joy with that at all, I believe the firmware is too new and couldn’t find any way to roll it back, so no way to go to Tasmota with them but for now they’re functioning. As an aside I’ve bought some Local Bytes plugs and they’ve been excellent, so I’ll be replacing my Tuya ones with these going forward.

Hi,
From my investigation, IoT Core has been suspended, when I looking for method in this API there are all needed calls to discover and keep connections with my devices.

Can someone, confirm that have this same situation? I already requested 6 months access but if this will be true that buying Tuya hardware to combine them with HA don’t have any sense.

Ok, I have confirmation. I unlink from old project Tuya application. then create full new account on new email. Add Tuya app again, recreate connection in HA, and everything works! License should expired in next 30 day and this will be confirmation.

Took a long time but they did finally approve the 6 month extension request:

1 Like

And it started works for You when they expand Your subscriptions?

Yes, working fine here. It sucks that I need this integration for one device, everything else I’ve either flashed Tasmota or I’m using Local Tuya … this one 3 way Martin Jerry dimmer can’t be flashed, and is stuck on the wrong version for Local Tuya to work. I have 2 remote dimmers with it so it’s a 4 way setup, not worth it to replace all of them.

Main Dimmer

Remotes

Had the same problem with all Tuya devices missing.

I can confirm what rev010 has indicated, that ‘Device Connection Service’ no longer exists.
At least this is the case for my account on the ‘Western America Data Center’
For me the problem was also with IoT Core.
It was showing expired, as shown in screenshot 1 below.
I was able to click the ‘Extend Trial Period’ button and fill in the form, requesting a 6 month extension.
It took about 24 hours for it to change to ‘Your application for extension is approved’

That didn’t fix it in home assistant though.
Restarting home assistant didn’t fix it.
What did work was removing the integration and re-adding it.
Fortunately after that my automations using the Tuya devices were also restored, so I didn’t need to create them again.
I think the problem is that I’m going to have the same problem in 6 months, when the subscription expires again.
This has definitely made me reluctant to buy additional Tuya based devices. I have 5 now, bought before I got into home assistant, and whilst I’m pleased I can control them in HA, I’m not happy about random vanishing devices.

Hopefully I can switch to Tuya local or even Tasmota.
To be honest, its made me understand why many youtubers, who are into home automation, talk about avoiding cloud services and make sure to have locally controlled setups. Otherwise you are at the mercy of companies who make whatever decisions they decide, and you have no control over.

Screenshot 1 - Expired service

3 Likes

what options are there to tuya devices? I wonder if Ikea bulbs will work? Or are they tuya based?

Yup. I also had to do this today… I absolutely despise the Tuya platform. I’ve resolved myself to throw the unflashable crap in the garbage and replace it all.

I had the exact same issue - had no idea I was actually subscribing to a limited trial when I configured Tuya integration, but I refuse to pay more for something I’ve already paid for. This is the reason I use Shelly devices - local functionality, and no subscription… this is just manufacturers getting greedy! I will not give them any more money :angry:

Trying to hijack the threat because I am pretty sure a lot of people, who are just starting with Homeassistante like me, will get the same question.

Which alternatives to Tuya devices, that are 100% offline do we have?

My first Home automation project was HomeAssistant+Tuya wifi humidity/temperature sensors and until now It is just pain…

I’ve been migrating away from Wi-Fi devices like Tuya and moving towards Zigbee via: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/

Ikea in particular has a bunch of products at great prices… smart bulbs, motion detectors, smart blinds, etc, etc. | Zigbee2MQTT

1 Like

Shelly works fine in offline mode. Cloud give You only extra information.

Hello

I got tired of trying to solve this by Tuya IoT.

I also have my devices integrated with Google Assistant and I found a workaround, creating integrations with the Google Assistant SDK and problem solved.

Can anybody report back who,
Had their 30-day trial expire then created a new IoT platform account and migrated everything over to localtuya.
Where everything continued to work after the new 30-day trial runs out.

What happens if ever need to add another device?

I am going in this route, so far so good. Although I got an aqara vibration sensor and it reports weirdly.

Haven’t tried their vibration sensors yet, but their motion sensors work well, I’m up to 3 of them now.

From what I found on the interwebs, just the vibration sensor has problems. See my other threat Reliable, ZigBee compatible vibration sensor? (Aqara is not reliable)

1 Like