Remootio garage door automation - new product

Did anyone get anywhere with writing an integration for Remootio ? I don’t really want to have another hub i.e. smartthings.

Hi Dylan, thanks for taking the time to integrate this. I’ve had a go at using your node-red remootio integration, and have a small issue regarding the switch: remmotio node. I have two switch: remootio nodes. One for Open and one for Close. If I trigger sendOpen it opens the gate perfectly, however if I then try to trigger sendClose, sendOpen seems to be stored default. Sorry if this doesn’t make complete sense, however I am new to node-red. Any help would be much appriciated. It could be that i need to clear the node in my flow after the action has completed, but to be honest I’m a bit stuck?

Hey Christopher,

Thanks for making use of the integration and for reporting this, nice find :wink:, I have just fixed this and published ver 1.0.11.

Let me know how you go with that.

Dylan.

Hey Dylan

As there is no option yet for integration, I have downloaded Node-red and could follow about step 1 then got overwhelmed. Do you have any instructions I could follow to connect my 3 remootio devices to HA.

I have done like the rest of the people and used smart things but it just breaks.

Thanks in advance Scott

Hi Scott,

Using the nodes Dylan kindly provided in NodeRed, I came up with the following solution. Please be aware that I am only in the process of learning NodeRed myself and therefore I’m sure there is a better way to accomplish / streamline what I’ve done.

1. I connected the remootio to NodeRed using the events.remootio node.
  2. I created a sensor in NodeRed that updates a template switch in HomeAssistant so I could operate the gate and see its current status (Open / Closed).
  3. I realised that if someone opens the Remootio App, the events.remootio node updates. This was constantly sending me an ios notification saying the gates had been opened (even though they were open). Therefore I tried to add a function and switch node to catch the errors and stop multiple ios push notifications.
  4. I created a switch in NodeRed that links back to the same template switch in HomeAssistant so I can open and close the gates when toggled.

I’ve included a photo of my flow.

I hope this helps and if anyone has a better solution It would be great to see.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

This is interesting as I too installed Node-Red and Dylan’s extension but have never used Node-Red before and couldn’t work out how to link into HA. I’ll give your switch template a go and I think it could be combined with a cover template as shown in the example in this thread

Ideally I want to get away from any cloud service and rely on the direct API. If this works I’ll be installing Remootio into some electric gates I have which use an unreliable cloud service too.

So this is what I created in the HA config after copying your flow:

- platform: template
    covers:
      remootio_garage_door:
        device_class: garage
        friendly_name: "Remootio Garage Door"
        value_template: "{{ states('sensor.remootio_garage_state') }}"
        open_cover:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: sensor.remootio_garage_state
            state: "closed"
          - service: switch.turn_on
            target:
              entity_id: switch.remootio_garage_switch
        close_cover:
           - condition: state
             entity_id: sensor.remootio_garage_state
             state: "open"
           - service: switch.turn_off
             target:
        stop_cover:
          service: switch.turn_on
          target:

It works very well

Hi perimore,

That’s great, very similar to the code in HA I used, I’m glad it helped.

A slight update to my flow over the weekend was the introduction of a 5 Second Timer Delay Node after the events.remootio node. I found that if I restarted NodeRed, I lost the variable state for the sensor, and when the first automation triggered I got an “Open” ios message and then “Closed” ios message (or vice versa) straight after the other. By adding the 5 second delay, it seems to have stoped this happening as the second message cancels the first.

In my switch template, I also added some code that changes the gate icon depending on the state (open / closed) which looks great in the interface.

Yes, I fixed this with the below:

value_template: >
          {% set s = states('sensor.remootio_garage_state') %}
          {{ s if s in ['open', 'closed'] else 'open' }}

Basically assume “open” if an unknown state is received.

I need to find some “Node-Red for dummies” videos because I just can’t figure out how to use this :frowning:

@sebforrest possible to share the flow in JSON with me ?

anyone had anymore newer luck, im lost with all this Node-Red stuff

Hi Dylan,

Big thanks for your integration. I have a small question:
Is it possible that your ‘sendQuery’ command isn’t being captured by the ‘events: remootio’ node? Or is there another way to check the device’s response?

Thanks,

Cybor

I am having heaps of trouble trying to get my head around Node-RED as well. Is there any other way of doing it or a step by step instructions for dummies?

I would also love to know how to do this. I also see that with the new Home Assistant version there doesn’t seems to be homebridge integration which had the remootio integration

theres a pull request awaiting that should add it directly to HA

1 Like

thanks a mil @jamesbj348, this is awesome. For a dumb user like me how do i install it? there is no download or anything. I have the IP and the API keys i need but how do i integrate it? Do i have to do it in node-red? Can you maybe help with a dummies guide PLEASE?

its pending to be added into core which i believe will be then available in integrations, im new myself so i dont know how long it takes for new integrations to be added if it requires a new main release or it could be passed at any time. be better to just wait like me till its added in core then wont require any node-red or homekit

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up for me and probably a lot of other people too. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to the integration. Keep well. All the best for 2022.

I see this is still waiting to be added to core. Looks like things move slowly there.

Wondering if it’s possible to add to HACS? Or last resort, how could I install manually in the mean time?