Remote access to HA on internet from sim card only

Hello from cold Russia. Here is my main task. Automate second house which is far away from city (there is no internet!)
I need to understand if it will be possible to use modem with sim card instead of usual routers. Can I have remote access with duckdns?
I am worried about aqara too. Can HA access to it trough modem (I am not really familiar with mac address).

Here is what I am going to use:

Hass.io on hass.os on raspberry pi3b+
Z-wave for: thermostats, A/C, garage doors, sockets, boiler.
Zig-bee (aqara, trough official gateway) for: lights, sensors, vacuum cleaner.
Some cameras, UPS board and that’s pretty it with hardware.

Where will I have troubles? I need to know before I buy everything if something will not work.

Z-wave will be just fine, aqara would be fine if I use Zigbee2mqtt, but I still prefer gateway because I need more than 14 connections and I may need different gateways for better connections. And I need gateway for siren, so why not to use it.

And second question is on remote access to system. Can anyone share the experience of using remote acces with sim card internet. Is it even possible? Will there be issues with IP?

Everything you want to do should be possible as long as your cellular carrier does not use CGNAT.

Thank you for answer!

As I know now, russian cellular carriers do not give public IP address (so they use cg NAT).
If i will not find any solution with public IP address, could I use HA cloud in future? Or I still will need public IP?

Hi, have a look at Webhook Relay add-on (disclaimer: I have built it): https://webhookrelay.com/v1/guide/home-automation.html#Home-Assistant

Basically, it can create a reverse tunnel from your HA instance to a public server and do TLS pass-through with either your own certs or it can provision DuckDNS cert for you. Traffic is encrypted on your own device and stays encrypted till it reaches your browser. Service cost - $4.5 per month.

2 Likes

Or tor might help.

1 Like

Thank you all for answers. At least there are solutions. But it would be fine if HA cloud could help here too. Will see