Remote access works with WiFi but not with Ethernet

Hi, I am using Home Assistant OS, and the issue can be reproduced on a fresh installation with the latest version and on previous versions.

I have tried lots of things with no success, so I would appreciate any help.

I have been using Home Assistant with remote access via WiFi for two years and I finally managed to get an Ethernet cable to the Raspberry Pi to improve stability.

I changed the network setup loading a USB with the standard Configuration for Ethernet, with and without changing the UUID and the network name, and setting up the port forwarding in the router in the same way with the new Ethernet IP.

When I try to access Home Assistant the initial Page appears, it says loading, and it says it is unable to connect and retries indefinitely.

When I try to access locally it works, but the Picture Elements card does not work properly, the images I have in the www directory in the SD do not load.

Even more weirdly, the Android app also says that it is unable to connect and cannot access the page, but when I’m not connected to the WiFi, I still get the notifications remotely, so there is some kind of connectivity.

If I reboot changing it to WiFi with the USB everything goes back to normal

Any ideas?

First thing, clear your browser cache.

Thanks @nickrout, unfortunately I also tried in different browsers, computers and in the app and I get the same behaviour

Hi, I have been investigating further into this issue and came across this other post: External access not working. I tried many things and the only one that worked was setting up DMZ for the Raspberry Pi Ethernet IP.

I am no expert in these matters, so I would appreciate advise on what is best to secure my system from unauthorized access. I can either revert to the previous WiFi standard setup (with the drawback of connectivity losses) or set up DMZ with the Ethernet connection. What is more secure? I guess DMZ is more secure with the right setup, but is it safe just setting up DMZ and attaching the Raspberry Pi with Home Assistant via Ethernet. I understand that this opens up all port (I didn’t even need to set port forwarding)? Will it be more susceptible to being hacked? I am using DuckDNS for encryption.

I tried every other way I could think of, changing server port, changing rules, changing the network page parameters in Home Assistant to include my Domain (not necessary when I connect via WiFi) but I didn’t find a way to gain remote access via Ethernet unless I set up DMZ in the Router, despite being able to do it without DMZ when I used WiFi (as happened to the user of the mentioned post). Note that, unlike the other post, I only have one Router (with fiber connection).

Maybe I am missing something and there is some way of setting up external access without using DMZ, or is DMZ actually the best option? What are the drawbacks?