Removal of MyQ integration

hmmm…interesting.

My understanding was that even the wall console was “smart” and that a dry contact relay wired in parallel to that wall console wouldn’t work since it didn’t generate the security code functionality of the wall console.

That was the way my old GDO worked (contact in parallel with the wall button) but I didn’t think that would work with the latest GDO controllers so I never tried it.

Just curious because I don’t have that option - is that only in the ESP version of ratgdo (I’m using the MQTT version) or is that just an extra option/feature of the opener itself that is not available on all chamberlain/liftmaster doors?

Update:
I found the option by looking at mqtt explorer and publishing commands directly to mqtt- it just didn’t create an unlock/lock entity like the others automatically for me

True for LM/Chamberlain. To my knowledge all genies still work the “old” way. Easy enough to test, short the contacts with a scrap of wire, or really anything conductive, screwdriver, pliers, etc.

1 Like

If this change only impacts a “small percentage of users” how will it “improve the performance and reliability of MyQ”?

Are they suggesting this “small percentage” has huge impact on their services? More likely they’re just talking out of the side of their mouths…

That repo seems to suggest that the ratgdo person(s) is not abiding by open source standards. Is that correct? If so, that’s not good.

If you don’t have that option, just plug your garage door opener into a smart plug and turn the smart plug off at night or when you’re away. That’s what we do.

Is their any company left that doesn’t suck hard and spits into the faces of their paying customers like Chamberlain, Philips Hue or Mazda?

Esphome for the rescue. I will stick with esphome compatible gear so companies can’t take away my invests in the future…

A little more playing with it and I do have the ability to lockout the wireless remotes with the ratgdo - for some reason a lock out option wasn’t created automatically in home assistant like the door, light, and obstruction sensor, but I can control the lockout by publishing raw mqtt settings for lock and unlock to garage/command/lock. I’ll have to work on a template to create it manually.

Another nice feature though I didn’t even realize existed with it.

FYI, if you use MyQ through one of the official partner programs and there is a home assistant integration for the partner app then it will continue to work. For example, the home assistant Vivint integration brings in myQ devices with all the other Vivint sensors into home assistant and it continues to work. Here is a list of official MyQ partnerships:

It’s worth checking compatibility if you use one of these other services.

Soooo I’ve been avoiding switching to something else because my mom also has a MyQ and has shared it to me, and I have that in my Home Assistant. When I have my phone plugged into Android auto I can open her garage from there, and so can my wife.

Obviously my mom doesnt have Home Assistant, would it be possible by chance to setup ratgdo on my moms garage as well as mine, and even though its not on the same network or even nearby get it to communicate with my HA system over the internet, so I can get this working again? Or since ratgdo is local, is there no way to get it to communicate over the internet even if I added it to my system before I moved it over to her garage.

Thanks!

You could use a VPN like wireguard or tailscale. Or you could use home assistant cloud.

hmmm the vpn is an idea.

You would just need to run a pi or something at the other house to host the VPN on. It doesnt need to be a full home assistant install either.

Also, just want to point out the ratgdo can still work with the myq gateway/app at the same time. However, having seen other companies go this cash grab path before, I would suspect fees down the road for just basic garage control through the myq app, so the sooner you get rid of it the better.

Hi everyone.
I’m another person who has been affected by this myq integration. I have asked this question in similar other threads but have not received any definite answer. Does ratgdo work with liftmater gate opener? Not garage door. Anyone managed to get this to work or any pointers to this? The circuit board looks much more complicated than the one of a garage door opener. I like in UK and have 2 gates controlled by liftmater/myq

I would highly recommend anyone with a RatGDO (or has one on backorder, or is considering one in the future) remove your garage door openers’ access to the internet immediately lest they lock out the device. Chamberlain instructions on how to do that can be found here: Support

I also removed the devices from my app, requested deletion of my user data, and deleted the app.

2 Likes

Perhaps a bunch of negative reviews on amazon, home depot and anywhere else that we can find will help them see the light.

This sort of anti-consumer behaviour is infuriating.

Thank you to all of the HA team who have been working on this for the last few months (and years before). You guys and gals are awesome!

1 Like

They really can’t do this to existing openers, since the ratgdo mimicks the push button wall controller, any change to the firmware would make everyone’s hard wired wall controller stop working as well. However, I could see future garage openers using “security 3.0” that would not work with the ratgdo, but that would be a problem down the road, and I would make sure not to purchase such a device.

That being said, I would remove it’s internet access anyway just so they can’t track your data and try and capitalize off it.

Ratgdo is one alternative method to myq, but there are many different devices available depending on the user’s existing garage opener and HA setup. For example, if your opener is NOT Liftmaster/Chamberlain and you owned a myq hub for remote control purposes, then you don’t need the Security+ feature. In this case you simply need a relay to trigger the opener wire.

Ratgdo is an excellent choice if you want a Wi-Fi device, need Security+ (Liftmaster/Chamberlain) access, and prefer not to wire anything yourself. But there are many other options, for example, if you’d prefer a Zigbee communication or don’t need the proprietary wired protocol (Security+). Rember that most openers work by simply “short-circuiting” the “doorbell” style button. It’s only Liftmaster/Chamberlain openers that require the special Security+ that makes this all such a headache.

Personally, I have one Liftmaster and one non-Liftmaster garage opener. I use these devices for both doors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CCTBYYX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) . For the non-liftmaster, the relay terminals connect directly to the button wired to the wall. For the Liftmaster/Chamberlain, I wired the relay to an extra remote control button (which required a simple solder connection). I like using Zigbee (just my preference), but there are many other approaches available to you.

Please consider what is best for you and don’t feel tied to only one product. Having options like this is what makes HA a great platform. Please take advantage of this to find the hardware that best meets your specific needs.

2 Likes

It seems like no one knows for sure - the developer is unsure and I haven’t seen anyone post definitely that it is working. It looks promising though, and more of a discussion on it is on github. Based on reading that, if you have the auxillary control board that board can be configured to report open and closed status to send the information to the ratgdo.

I would monitor and post on the related github issue for more information

https://github.com/PaulWieland/ratgdo/issues/90

You also can probably make your own ESP device with those options the gate control has - take a look at these posts

This was an interesting article on the whole situation with myq, and offers multiple other solutions

1 Like

The other side of the body and much lower down.

4 Likes