Removal of MyQ integration

Welp… just put in a backorder for RatGDO… House came with a Liftmaster. The day it dies, you can bet I will be looking elsewhere. What a damn shame. I guess we’re the “small number of users”. Well, this small number of users can figure it out without your help Chamberlin. So damn stupid.

But like everything, where there’s a will, there’s a way. Thanks to everyone here for finding workarounds to this bs.

Chamberlain Group | A Message About our Decision to Prevent… has been updated to claim that unofficial API consumers were causing an effective DDoS of their service. Anyone know if there’s truth to this claim?

No, but I expext it to be a dirty lie - like Signify/Phillips Hue was lying in our faces bubbling about “security” while forcing our data into the cloud.

Chamberlain is dead for me and has a entrance on my no-buy list.

2 Likes

Just FYI, I submitted this blog entry to Hacker News this morning and it reached the top at one point. Lots of good discussion there, too, if people are interested.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38188162

2 Likes

@Chamberlain… shame on you.

Does anybody know if the ratgdo device will work with the “Europe” Chamberlain models?

https://www.chamberlain.de/nl-nl/shop/poortaandrijving/garagedeuropener-premium-ml1000ev

The Meross MSG100HK is also an option for local control since it can be connected to the HomeKit bridge in Home Assistant. You can get these on Amazon here. I set 2 of these up last week and they work great.

1 Like

Indeeed! Looks like the Chamberlain CTO Dan Phillips is not amused that HA users don’t consume the ads showing in the app! What a pity!

1 Like

I’m in need of a replacement to a failing Liftmaster garage door opener. Any recommendations for a brand of opener to buy that is not Chamberlain/Liftmaster?

FYI, this post on this forum made Ars Technica yesterday and was cited in their article.

FWIW, I simply use a MIMOlite Z-Wave relay plugged into the same ports as the wall button uses and it’s worked perfectly for me for years, you don’t need any special device for the rolling codes, it just replicates pressing the button on the wall. Low tech and it just works.

2 Likes

Yes, its a hot topic, there are quite a few articles

This does not seem to be going over well

3 Likes

LOL, indeed not! It’s a really stupid thing for them to do, they are late to the “how do we boost revenue with recurring subscriptions or ads” game, people are already subscription fatigued and they missed the game by about 5 years. Playing catch-up now makes it look like they are struggling for business or just plain greedy, neither of which bodes well for their future endeavors. One of the primary reasons people chose their brand over others is the smart capabilities, now that they revoke that they remove any reason for brand loyalty.

3 Likes

There could be an ounce of legitimacy to it, but it doesn’t shadow the fact that they created the problem. They’ve dropped support for homekit and google assistant. They had a chance to partner with homeassistant so it could be formally addressed, and they chose to ignore the integration devs that reached out to them. At the end of the day the only legitimate integration choices users have, are paid alternatives that no one has heard of before outside of Ring and IFTTT. Ring is just… a portal to the garage door buttons from the MyQ app, which is usesless. And IFTTT doesn’t even let you open a door, and that’s if it’s working properly. So users have no where to go but pay separate subscriptions for really stupid features, or rub a couple brain cells together.

1 Like

Concept: sideload the official MyQ APK onto a spare Chromecast with Google TV. Then use the Home Assistant Android Debug Bridge to send ADB commands to launch the app and tap the open/close button. Could even use ADB command to take an app screenshot and somehow OCR that to get the State.

Thoughts? Any pitfalls I’m not seeing?

I read that they block debugging in the app. I also decompiled the APK and was noticed the references to it being disabled in the APK in the comment of one of the files. But it did say something about debug mode being allowed in testing versions or something like that.

Just a janky way to use something that was working until the company crapped on you.

Not that janky is bad :slight_smile:

I actually dumped MyQ after only a couple months due to the outages. And, no, I don’t believe the outages were because HA users “DDOS’d” them!

I went with a Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Relay ZEN17. Unfortunately, I could not set the contact time on that to what my garage needed. Grrrr

So, I bought a remote, programmed button 1 to the garage, and soldered the wires to button 1. Works like a charm. And, the Zooz has two relays. The remote has two buttons. When we finish our house build, I’ll have both doors covered.

I’m very happy with my https://www.athom.tech/blank-1/garage-door-opener-for-esphome - getting it on my network was a bit annoying due to my IoT network being hidden but other than that its been quite good.

I wish I would have ditched MyQ sooner.

1 Like

would you just be able to temporarily unhide the IoT network while you connect it? and then hide it again? I’ve had to do that before.

I did point out in the github repo that the myq integration was being a very bad partner. It had very bad handling of rate-limiting during oauth reauthentication flows. This did indeed cause a ddos-like situation.

And, even when the bug was fixed, there is no way to force existing buggy installations to upgrade, so the problem was essentially unfixable.

Of course, none of that lets chamberlain off the hook. Clearly, they are using that as an excuse to push a monetized api access model, via ifttt. Which, they naturally f-ed up at the worst possible time.

So, ratgdo it is, then.

1 Like

What about the MyQ Home Bridge, will that continue to work after December?

I bought that a few years ago and added my garage doors via HomeKit to Home Assistant. The doors sometimes show as unavailable but waiting 30 seconds and they tend to become available again, not 100% reliable as maybe an ESP32 but good enough for my needs.

The Home Bridge lives on my IoT VLAN so never connects to MyQ servers, even if the product is now discontinued.

Expect the worst from chamberlain

1 Like