Reolink native integration - Unable to configure NVR

Summary

I’ve got this NVR + Camera kit & haven’t been able to get past the initial configuration of the Reolink native integration. I’m a bit stuck & haven’t been able to resolve the problem using the integration’s Troubleshooting Steps, nor via search for similar issues on the HA forum, Reddit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Equipment

• NVR: Reolink Smart PoE Video Recorder
  • Cameras: 4x Reolink 520D4

Repro

1. Connect cameras to NVR
  2. Connect NVR to router
  3. Create username/password for Reolink web/app. Access Reolink web/app, then use it to create username/password for my NVR. Verify that camera streams are working correctly through Reolink web/app.
  4. Navigate to Home Assistant → New devices discovered → Reolink NVR → Configure
  5. Enter username/password for my NVR, set in Step 3

Failed to connect, check the IP address of the camera

1. Read the integration’s Troubleshooting Steps
  2. Verify that all ports are enabled on the NVR (Basic Service, RTMP, HTTP, HTTPs, RTSP, ONVIF), via the Reolink web/app.
  3. Repeat Step 5, with trial-and-error over all combinations of (1) the Port #s associated with each of the Ports noted in Step 7 and (2) ‘Enable HTTPS’ toggled on/off

1. Create a new username/password for my NVR, as recommended in the final bullet of the integration’s Troubleshooting Steps
  2. Assign a static IP to the NVR, as is recommended in the integration’s Troubleshooting Steps.

Verify user has necessary permissions.

Make user admin for testing then remove permissions after verify working in HA

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I verified that both of the accounts which I’ve used so far have ‘Admin’ permissions. As far as I know, there’s no other user permission setting which I can modify. Still no luck…

The static IP address refers to the internal LAN address of the NVR rather than your public Internet IP address which is controlled by your ISP. You should be able to set the IP address in the NVR console.

1 Like

Oh I see - thanks for the clarification. I’ve now assigned the NVR a static IP address & I’ll edit my post accordingly. Unfortunately, I’m still hitting the same error when I attempt to configure the integration.

Https is ON or OFF?

I noticed you dont have https checkbox selected for integration. Both should work but make sure setting match.

1 Like

I’ve tried it both ways (box checked and unchecked), but neither did the trick…

Can you browse to the IP address of the NVR from your PC?

1 Like

Yes, I can. Doing so brings me to a Reolink login page, which accepts my NVR username/password (set in Step 9) without issue.

OK, so that’s progress. I’m not familiar with Reolink NVRs (just the cameras), but please check In the port settings if you have HTTP(S), ONVIF, RTSP and RTMP ports all open?
Also, I seem to recall that there is an Illegal User Lockout feature under System / User Management that might be blocking you.

You could also try connecting one of the cameras directly to the integration as a test.

1 Like

Well certainly, timeout error is concerning.
What is your HA and reolink’s IP? Are they on the same subnet? Can you ping IP of NVR from HA? Which subnet is your PC/mobile on?
Are you using HTTP or HTTPS for reolink?
I would ignore discovered device and just navigate to configuration - devices - and add new reolink device using built in integration.
Personally, I am using https only, with dedicated username/password for HA. I tried now, and never get timeout error - if something is wrongly entered, I get other errors, but never get timeout error.

1 Like

What is your HA and reolink’s IP? Are they on the same subnet? Can you ping IP of NVR from HA? Which subnet is your PC/mobile on?

My HA, Reolink, and PC/mobile are all on the same subnet. I’m able to ping NVR from HA.

Are you using HTTP or HTTPS for reolink?

To be totally honest & reveal my ignorance - I’m not exactly sure. I’ve tried logging in using both the HTTP and HTTPS ports (ie. entering the port associated with each in the login UI attached by screenshot on the original post) & neither worked.

I would ignore discovered device and just navigate to configuration - devices - and add new reolink device using built in integration.

I just tried this & still unable to get through, but the error message I’m getting (screenshot attached) doesn’t show timeout. Not sure if that’s a meaningful clue?

check In the port settings if you have HTTP(S), ONVIF, RTSP and RTMP ports all open

Confirmed - all ports are open.

I seem to recall that there is an Illegal User Lockout feature under System / User Management that might be blocking you

I checked the User Management interface & don’t see any such option.

You could also try connecting one of the cameras directly to the integration as a test

I believe that these cameras have to be connected via the NVR. I bought the cameras + NVR as part of a kit & only the NVR has a UID assigned.

OK, I’m out of ideas I’m afraid. You could try posting an issue on the reolink github: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22integration%3A+reolink%22

1 Like

I believe it is requirement to be on certain version of NVR in order to use integration. You may want to upgrade NVR to the latest version first.
Then you should figure out if you can access NVR locally from your pc/phone using the http:// or https:// and IP of your NVR. If you cannot, you can always use reolink client (which talks on different port) and verify you have proper ports opened.

For reference, my NVR is:

Model
RLN8-410

Hardware No.
N3MB01

Firmware Version
v3.0.0.249_23071816

And I am using only HTTPS:

1 Like

You’re right. I just manually updated the firmware on my NVR & that solved the issue. A few things to note for posterity.

• The Troubleshooting Steps that I mentioned in the original post advise “Ensure the camera is updated to the latest firmware prior to setting up the integration”. I was too lazy to do this & instead just used the “Check for update” function in the NVR’s management interface, which reported that the installed firmware was up to date. The Troubleshooting Steps explicitly state “check for update functions in the app/windows/web client often do not show the latest available firmware version”, but I was too lazy to follow through.
  • Before updating the firmware, the ‘Server Settings’ screen in the NVR’s management interface (Settings → Network → Advanced → Server Settings) didn’t include checkboxes next to each of the listed ports. After updating the firmware, these checkboxes appeared & I used them to enable the corresponding port(s). I only enabled the HTTPS port, which was enough to get the integration working. In my original post & all previous comments/replies, when I mention any ports being enabled, I mistakenly believed that simply having a Port # assigned in the Server Settings interface was indication that the corresponding port was enabled.
  • The integration is now working after updating firmware for the NVR alone - I haven’t updated firmware for the cameras.

Thanks @sota, @tmjpugh, and @stomko for helping me troubleshoot this & apologies for wasting your time solving a problem that could have been avoided with just a little bit more diligence on my end.

1 Like

Great! A valuable lesson learned :wink:

Unfortunately I have the same issue, but I am using a standalone camera, no NVR. I believe it to be a firmware issue with the camera (RLC-410), but going onto the Reolink site, there is no firmware upgrade for my camera and hardware version listed.

I have contacted Reolink to see if there is a firmware update available, the camera has been in situ for aprox 3 years troublefree. It is only the integration with HA which is having issues.

If I get a reply from Reolink I will update, if anyone has any other suggestions, please do let me know.