Reolink NVR stream: or snapshots.. Please I need help seeing them on hassio

Interesting. I have the Reolink NVR RLN8-410-E. I suggest reaching out to their support they are pretty responsive.

Yes i am in contact with reolink support center. now i have sent thay the link of this post. I am not sure, but i think that @penright have the same my problem. Right?

By the way, @jchurch, can you tel me what versione of firmware you have in the nvr? I have the rln8-410 (i think without finale E)

Sure I am running this version.

Tomorrow i Will update and let you know of problem Is solved

Hi guys
I took the other approach. Connect a separate POE Switch with the cameras and NVR.
Now I have all cameras and NVR on the same network ip. I can access the cameras in HA, via Onvif which is suppose to support push notification and more than what you get with rtsp. Haven’t got that far but it’s working.

This is definitely a firmware problem. I had the exact problem, and while Reolink support was responsive, they weren’t very helpful. My DVR was brand new so I didn’t check the firmware right away, and when I did the version numbers were completely different in formatting so I had no way to know if mine was older or newer.

I decided to go ahead and download the latest firmware for the DVR and for my cameras, and apply them all, doing the cameras first. After I updated to the latest from the Reolink site, everything worked perfectly. No more CGI errors and hassio was happy. It’s been working without issue for two months now so I’d call that a success!

Terry

Interesting. I was receiving CGI errors only when viewing RTSP streams but the JPG snapshots worked fine. I have since completed the firmware upgrade so maybe I should try this again. Basically I was using Android intents as shortcuts on my sharptools.io dashboard but it just wasn’t consistent enough. Anyways I will attempt this again based on your feedback.

EDIT: no change for me I will just stick to snapshots. Also snapshots on my dashboards are damn fast too.

1 Like

I did reach out to reolink. In the email they hinted that passwords should only be alpha and numbers. I did have an exclamation point. First I tried to escape it (%21), then I changed the password in the NVR.
If I looked right, I am running the newest firmware.

Since I am using the NVR not sure how to check the frimware in the cameras.
Also, rstp streaming is working, just the snapshot has the “no cgi” issue.

Here is the email from this morning ...

**Hannio** (Reolink)

Dec 17, 16:49 CST

Dear Paul Enright,

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

May I know what error message you see when you failed to snapshot?

And please kindly note, when you use the url to snapshot the NVR camera, the channel in the url should be (channel number - 1).

For example, if the rtsp stream is: "rtsp://admin:[[email protected]](mailto:[email protected]):554//h264Preview_02_main"
Then the snapshot url should be: "http://192.168.4.18/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=1&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=admin&password=xxxx"

And by the way, are there special characters in your password? like "&, =,?"

Thank you! Looking forward to your feedback!

Best regards,

Reolink Support Team – Hannio

I pointed them to this thread. Well, here is my response back.

Did not know that the snapshot camera started at 0. Also, I did have a special charter (!). I changed my password now to just a name and numbers. I have also fixed the channel numbers. Still not working.Also,  I am not the only one having issues, I will post a URL to a thread in the home automation "HomeAssistant" where we were working together. There seems to be some who work and some who don't make us think there may be a firmware issue. 
I have two cameras right now. Note that the stream URL works both in HomeAssistant and VLC. The snapshot does not work when I post it into a browser.
camera_stream_1: 'rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554//h264Preview_01_main'
camera_snapshot_1: 'http://192.168.4.18/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=0&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=admin&password=Paul1420'
camera_stream_2: 'rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554//h264Preview_03_main'
camera_snapshot_2: 'http://192.168.4.18/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=2&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=admin&password=Paul1420'

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/reolink-nvr-stream-or-snapshots-please-i-need-help-seeing-them-on-hassio/116030/24

upgrading nvr to the version of firmware linked from @jchurch , for me the problem is solved. @penright, are you sure that your firmware is upgraded? Supprt center of reolink didn’t recommend me to update … they still didn’t give me a solution :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

The quick answer is no. The issue with dealing with their support is the time difference. I get up early so I might get one chance to respond then it wait till the next day.

Today was kind cryptic …

This last line was something about my firmware does need to be updated. It was kind of vague so I ask more direct and she said yes.

I would have been nervous about giving my UID, but my NVR is behind a firewall and is not connected to the cloud, so we see.
Well, will see if the version she gives me is the same as @jchurch linked. If I was not so far into the process I would just flash @jchurch link.
I did have a camera die and they are honoring the warranty, so if I brick it during the flash, hopefully, they will be more helpful. I will let you all know what I get from them but now looks like in the morning. :slight_smile:

The bottom line is flashing fixed the issue.
More information then you care :slight_smile:

I used the link they sent me this morning.
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034504874-08-23-2019-Firmware-for-Reolink-RLN8-410-and-RLN16-410-Only-for-NVR-with-UID-95270000XXXXXXXX-?source=search

It seems to have fixed the issue. I have the RLN16 and not the RNL8

I wonder if the UID marks some sort of hardware type? Here is the title of the article

That link has both RLN16 and RLN8.

Now looking at the like from @jchurch

What is interesting, the article was updated yesterday.
I just mention all this for any future people who find this thread, you may need to double-check before flashing. Also, I flashed from the control software, I did not have to do the thumb drive as described in the instructions. Not sure how big a chance I took on that.

Hey guys! Just wanted to chime in that I have a RLN16-410 and am trying to set this stuff up with Hassio. The linked firmware did the trick for me.

Odd that the firmware linked here is not on this page here: https://reolink.com/firmware/

Pretty sad that Reolink support lacks so much, but it is nice that they fixed this issue!

I got the impression of how hard the tech support drilled me for my UID. Looks like the first X-digits are significate. It makes me think not all RLN16-410 are created equal. Actually the 410 is what cameras shipped with the NVR. So we if just go with RLN16, that does not make much of a model number. It makes me think there must be hardware differences in runs. If you have the time to wait, the tech support is good about responding, just since they are in China, they respond in the middle of the night, and if you are an early riser, you can maybe respond and get one more cycle through.

Hello guys,
Thanks to this useful post I was able to add and setup my reolink cameras on Hassio. But I still miss the last mile as I configured 7 cameras, but on the Overview section only the last one is getting the preview.

configuration.yaml:

#Enable Cameras
camera:
  - platform: generic
    name: 01
    still_image_url: !secret Camera_URL
    stream_source: !secret Camera01_Source

name: 02
    stream_source: !secret Camera02_Source

name: 03
    stream_source: !secret Camera03_Source

name: 04
    stream_source: !secret Camera04_Source

name: 06
    stream_source: !secret Camera06_Source

name: 08
    stream_source: !secret Camera08_Source

name: 05
    stream_source: !secret Camera05_Source

secret.yaml:

#Cameras
Camera_URL: "http://192.168.1.253/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=1&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=user&password=pwd"

Camera02_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_02_main"
Camera03_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_03_main"
Camera04_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_04_main"
Camera05_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_05_main"
Camera06_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_06_main"
Camera08_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_08_main"
Camera01_Source: "rtsp://user:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_01_main"

192.168.1.253 is the NVR ip_address…Am I missing something somewhere?
the only camera working is the 08…and I don’t understand why!? could you help?

Camera_url is the same For all
Channel=1 needs to change
Open that in a web browser and check.
Change the number from memory it starts at 0.

Hi Harry…thanks for posting! but that does not explain why Camera 08 works…
I tried to open in a web browser but does not work either with 0 or 1 as channel. I get the following error:

Access Error: Not Found

CGI program file does not exist

any thoughts?
Cris

Have go the latest firmware

Sorry taking so long, have not been paying attention.
Couple of things I found out the hard way.
At first, I could get rtsp stream working, but not the snapshot. There was a firmware update to fix that. Also, the channel numbers for snapshots start at 0, while the rtsp start at 1.
Have you tested your URL with VLC?
I am assuming you are getting the feeds in at the NVR, correct?

I am coning in late to this conversation but I thought I would share my limited success.

I have one camera hooked up to a RLN8-410-E. I updates the firmware to the one available from September 2019.

Everything is working!!!

configuration.yaml

camera:
    name: 01
    stream_source: !secret Camera01_Source

secrets.yaml

Camera_URL: "http://192.168.1.243/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=0&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=admin&password=pwd"

Camera01_Source: "rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554/h264Preview_01_main"