Repository: Ulrar's hassio addons / Forked-DAAPD, raspotify, radicale

Installation

The repo is available at: https://github.com/Ulrar/hassio-addons, follow the instructions for third-party plugins to install. Read through this page before installing.

Addons

The biggest addon in there is forked-daapd, which works pretty well for multi-room audio setups.
To go with it, Raspotify is a spotify-connect compatible daemon which can output to either a speaker connected to your device, or to a pipe to work with forked-daapd, allowing you to make a multi-room spotify player.

I also have radicale in there that I’m using myself for cloudless shared calendars and to-do lists.

I have a half-working shairport-sync addon that I could work on publishing if anyone is interested, but since I’m not going to be using it myself I can’t promess it’ll get a lot of support if I do. Let me know if that would be of use to anyone, that would again be a good fit to use with forked-daapd to make your own airplay devices, but the audio sync doesn’t work very well on raspberry pis unfortunately.

Tests

I’m currently using a raspberry pi 2 myself but forked-daapd and raspotify have been tried on most platforms and should work without any issues.

1 Like

shairport would be great!

1 Like

Forked-Daapd keeps failing to install. Any advice?

EDIT: And now HA seems to not be working…

EDIT: After cycling the power, HA is back AND it looks like Forked-Daapd installed. Going to try setting it up!

Sorry to keep posting, but how do you configure it?

Hey,

There’s no image published on the dockerhub so the build happens on your machine, if you have low ram it might have tipped you over the edge during build, not sure how much it’s using (but it works on my pi 2 so probably not much) when building.
But great if it came back up !

For the config you need to edit the /share/forked-daapd/forked-daapd.conf file. There’s a lot of options so I haven’t put it in the interface, what you put in there really depends on your setup.
The defaults should pretty much work though.

[quote=“Ulrar, post:5, topic:205698”

For the config you need to edit the /share/forked-daapd/forked-daapd.conf file. There’s a lot of options so I haven’t put it in the interface, what you put in there really depends on your setu
[/quote]

So, I would use something like this:

Directories to index

directories = { “/home/$USER/music” }

what would I put for $USER?

or do I have to locate the config file somewhere and copy it…

Question: Could you share yours so I could at the very least use it as an example as I try to configure it?

Ah, yes, that could be clearer but if you start the addon once you’ll get a default config file copied there, which you can then edit. If the file already exists it won’t be copied again so of course it’s safe to restart the addon.

As for the directory I suppose it depends on where your music is, since I don’t have any local music (I only use spotify) I don’t have examples for that but I assume it’s somewhere in /share ? I suppose it depends on where you’re keeping your local music.

Here is mine :

general {
	uid = "root"
	db_path = "/share/forked-daapd/cache/songs3.db"
	logfile = "/dev/stdout"
	loglevel = log
	websocket_port = 3688
	trusted_networks = { "any" }
	ipv6 = no
	cache_path = "/share/forked-daapd/cache/cache.db"
}
library {
	name = "My Music on %h"
	port = 3689
	directories = { "/share/forked-daapd/music" }
	podcasts = { "/Podcasts" }
	audiobooks = { "/Audiobooks" }
	compilations = { "/Compilations" }
	compilation_artist = "Various Artists"
	radio_playlists = false
	name_radio      = "Radio"
	pipe_autostart = true
}
audio {
	type = "disabled"
}
airplay_shared
{
        control_port = 3690
        timing_port = 3691
}
spotify {
}
mpd {
}
sqlite {
}
streaming {
}

Note that I have my local audio “disabled” as it’s running on a pi, which can’t keep proper synchronization with other devices. If you want to use a speaker connected to your hassio host then leave that as pulseaudio.

Thank you. I will try this as I only want to use it with spotify as well!

The add-on wont start at all. And when I add the config, I get an error. I assume Ill need to change the uid.

Here is the error:
Failed to save addon configuration, not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘options’]. Got 'general { uid = “root” db_path = “/share/forked-daapd/cache/songs3.db” logfile = “/dev/stdout” loglevel = log websocket_port = 3688 trusted_networks = { “any” } ipv6 = no cache_path = “/share/forked-daapd/cache/cache.db” } library { name = “My Music on %h” port = 3689 directories = { “/share/forked-daapd/music” } podcasts = { “/Podcasts” } audiobooks = { “/Audiobooks” } compilations = { “/Compilations” } compilation_artist = “Various Artists” radio_playlists = false name_radio = “Radio”…

You’re trying to put that in the configuration tab ?
You need to edit the /share/forked-daapd/forked-daapd.conf file, the configuration tab has to be empty.

how do I get to that then?

Whatever way you’re using to edit your home assistant’s configuration file should work I’d imagine, I use the SSH addon myself.

But if your goal is just to use spotify then you don’t need to do anything, just empty the configuration tab and start the addon, it should come up with the default configuration.

1. I use the addon configurator. Where this forked-daapd.conf file? I keep looking.

2. My goal is to just use spotify, but when I start the add on nothing happens.

1. Just looked, you’ll have to disable “enforce_basepath” to be able to get out of the config directory. From there you should be able to navigate to /share/forked-daapd/forked-daapd.conf

2. Do you get any errors in the log tab, or nothing at all ? The default config should just work, if it doesn’t I’d be curious to see why, we may have made a typo in the build script.

Thanks for this add-on! would it be possible to use a record player that is connected with usb or AUX as the audio source for this? would be amazing if I could airplay the sound from my record player to a HomePod using Home Assistant.

Hi,

Forked-Daapd won’t “read” audio from an usb device, as it’s a player itself.
It will read and distribute audio from a pipe however, so if you found another addon that could read from your usb or aux source and write it to a pipe forked-daapd could then cast that to any airplay or chromecast device.

Not sure what you could use for this, if you have an aux port probably just run arecord --some-options > /share/forked-daapd/music/MyAuxPipe ? I don’t have anything to test that myself as I only use Spotify as a source, but I image it would work.

Im looking for it. Ive found a bunch of folders named share.

EDIT: Found what I believe to be the correct folder, it’s got nothing in it

You need to have started the addon once (without anything in the config tab) for the file to be created.
You can also just create it yourself, either way shouldn’t matter.
With the default config you get on first start :

Ill try making it myself and report back.